Injury Report: Canucks' Infirmary: The Walking Dead Edition

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, we don't know what Corrado's illness is. Remember when Higgins had that staph infection a couple seasons ago that kept him out for a good while?

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
You'd think they'd have a better idea than "day to day" with Richardson. It was a foot injury from a blocked-shot, no?

Bonino should be back any day now.

Week to week for Edler... that's rough. What happened to him again? Shoulder?

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
With Miller added to the list of injured players, I wish that we can acquire a 3rd/4th center/winger, 3rd-pairing defenseman, and a backup goaltender, but then I notice that we do not have someone we can trade for those assets. This is certainly a catch-22 for the Vancouver organization right now.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
This team can get away with forward injuries right now as opposed to on d. It will catch up with them at some point. At this point just getting Tanev back would be huge

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Defense has been great considering the injuries. Im really quite surprised weber, sbisa, biega have been able to hold the fort as well as has so far transpired

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
With Miller added to the list of injured players, I wish that we can acquire a 3rd/4th center/winger, 3rd-pairing defenseman, and a backup goaltender, but then I notice that we do not have someone we can trade for those assets. This is certainly a catch-22 for the Vancouver organization right now.

This is a perfect opportunity to see if Markstrom can handle backup duties. Guy has been destroying the AHL.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
This is a perfect opportunity to see if Markstrom can handle backup duties. Guy has been destroying the AHL.

It depends on how long Miller is out, but Markstrom is not going to get any starts for a while. The next back to back is Mar 21-22 on the road vs LA and Az.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
It depends on how long Miller is out, but Markstrom is not going to get any starts for a while. The next back to back is Mar 21-22 on the road vs LA and Az.

Depends on how Lack is playing and where they stand in the playoff race. I wouldn't doubt they use this as an opportunity to get Markstrom a few starts to see how he's progressed.

The waiver eligibility issue is not a big problem. They can shuttle him back to Utica between starts and call up Eriksson to sit on the bench.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Depends on how Lack is playing and where they stand in the playoff race. I wouldn't doubt they use this as an opportunity to get Markstrom a few starts to see how he's progressed.

The waiver eligibility issue is not a big problem. They can shuttle him back to Utica between starts and call up Eriksson to sit on the bench.

I doubt it, they need to win unless eddie gets hurt *knock on wood* markstrom wont get a start until theyve clinched a spot, just doesnt make sense to risk a playoff spot when lack has barely played

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

It shouldn't have to be back to backs just for him to get a shot. If you ride Lack for a month you might end up burning him out again just like last year.

Though with WD being such a self-admitted conservative coach with regards to young guys, that might well be the case anyway...

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
What a pain in the rear. I hope Miller isn't out long term then... Maybe if he is, Markstrom is up for a while (I guess 30 days tops), then we see Eriksson. How long before Eriksson has to worry about waivers?

That's probably what Canucks would do.

They have a second option. s. 16.4(a) of the Collective Bargaining Agreement provides, in part, that "...on the date of each season's Trade Deadline, a
Club's Active Roster may be increased to any number of Players the Club, in its discretion, so determines ..." Canucks could keep Markstrom with the Canucks as a 3rd goalie through the end of the season if his callup were to go past 30 games.

It is possible, though perhaps unlikely, that Canucks would choose this option if Lack and Markstrom were both playing and Miller was out until, say, the first week of April.

Eriksson would also be subject to the 10 game/30 day rule.

Last edited:

NucksRock*

Part of me wonders if he has the mumps. Perhaps with all the attention it was getting earlier in the season the league issued a gag order on reporting it so as to not detract from the sport.

they showed him on the bike about a week ago, so dont think its the mumps...

NucksRock*

I doubt it, they need to win unless eddie gets hurt *knock on wood* markstrom wont get a start until theyve clinched a spot, just doesnt make sense to risk a playoff spot when lack has barely played

Yep...great test for eddie and great for the organization (well silver lining, not happy miller is hurt, would never wish that)...but......

1. In the midst of a playoff race, and eddie will, as you say, get most if not all of the starts while miller is out.

2. Lots of pressure but also a chance for him to show he's ready to get a shot at being a number 1 or at least be a 1a/1b. He's played very well all year and actually deserved more starts and his numbers aren't really reflective of how well he's played (more games likely would have addressed that).

3. This also gives Benning the look he needs to make his decision on his goalies. Does he keep Lack and jettison Markstrom (especially given he has Demko a few years behind), or vice versa?

4. If Lack plays well, and shows he's ready to start, well he also ups his trade value significantly for draft day...

End of the day, miller's injury, assuming Lack continues to play as we know he can, will likely end up being a net positive for the canucks...

Unfortunate, but should be a positive in the end....

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
in a strange way I think this could be good news that Miller is down. Hopefully Lack and Markstrom can win the crease and give Linden and benning confidence in trading Miller in the offseason and not Lack.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
BTW, there's no waivers for a goalie recall with Miller injured:

13.5 Waiver Expiration. The rights granted under this Article to Loan a Player(s) who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers to a minor league club expire for any Player(s) who, after clearing Regular Waivers:

(i) is not Loaned to a minor league club, or is Recalled from a minor league
club (except on emergency Recall) and remains on an NHL roster for 74
ARTICLE 13 13.6-13.9 thirty (30) days (cumulative) or plays ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative), or

(ii) is Recalled from a minor league club on emergency Recall and plays in
ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative) while on emergency Recall. For
purposes of clarity, games played while on regular Recall shall not count
towards the ten (10) NHL Games in this subsection (ii).

13.12 Transfers To/From Minors. In the case of a Club moving a Player either to or from a
minor league club, the following procedure shall be followed:

[...]

(m) Emergency Recall.
(i) A Player on Loan to a club of any league affiliated with the League may
be Recalled from such Loan under emergency conditions at any time for
the duration of the emergency only following which he must be returned
promptly to the club from which he was Recalled.

(ii) Emergency conditions shall be established when the playing strength of
the Loaning Club, by reason of incapacitating injury or illness or by
League suspension to its Players is reduced below the level of two (2)
goalkeepers, six (6) defensemen and twelve (12) forwards. Proof of the
existence of the emergency conditions including the incapacity shall be
furnished to the Commissioner of the League upon request made by him.

(iii) For the purpose of establishing the existence of emergency conditions at
any time, to support the Recall of a Player for participation in any Playoff
Game, it shall be deemed that the Player(s) on Loan following 3:00 p.m.
New York time of the fortieth (40th) day immediately preceding the last
day of the Regular Season are continuing on Loan for the remainder of the
season notwithstanding that the Loaned club(s) may have been eliminated
from further play for the season.

From: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad