Friedman: Canucks in the high end UFA market?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Karlsson, Stone, Panarin or Duchene are as "small" as I hope we pursue, or possibly either Varlamov or Bobrovski short term.

Anyone else best be on a sweet deal, we have over paid for our depth players already.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I don’t mind if the Canucks go after a high ticket guys as long as said player doesn’t command 9 million AAV or above.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Freidman’s specialty has become just pure speculation

He's just thinking out loud / giving his opinion.

We post it here, or at least interpret it, as if it's a legit rumor.

It's not his fault, unless you want him to only type on his keyboard when he's ready to actually report on a legit rumor.

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
Watch Panarin go to Vancouver

seeing how tryamkin left us for the KHL, and goldobin in the perpetual green doghouse, i would bet good money panarin doesnt even glance our way

some might disagree, but I would be very interested in a few of the top UFA d-men coming up, and almost no interest in the UFA forwards. we have too many up and coming strong forwards for us to put a 6 year deal or so into an overrated forward. gaudette, madden, dahlen in my opinion all make it into the big leagues, somewhere in the top 9. thats 3 spots in the next few years along with boeser horvat EP40.

however, our D is absolutely atrocious. we have 2 legit prospects in hughes and woo, who i predict to be a #2 D and a #4 D respectively. juolevi has really stalled in his development due to injury, and its a big mystery if he still projects as a top 4 D or not. therefore i dont mind acquring more actual NHL level D since our current roster is so garbage when markstrom is not hiding their deficiencies behind elite level goaltending. i dont mind if we literally ship out everyone save stecher and edler. gudbranson, pouliot and MDZ are a MUST remove, while biega, hutton (imo overrated just because he plays 25min now) are still tweeners at best.

my priorities (assuming we resign edler):
1. EK65 by a mile. give him whatever he wants, even if he wants above mcdavids level.
2. Stralman at a 3 year deal (doubt this happens)
3. kronwall if he wants to leave DET

Last edited:

member 290103

Stone or Karlsson would be great.

Why not both!? LOL

Dim will have his sights set on Ferland. Look for a 5 year deal at $6M per. I mean, they only have 3 years left on that Sweet Louie contract, they need something to replace it when it's up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
If they sign Karlsson, long term I think he will probaby burn out or be injured during the last half of his contract as most over 30 players do. Leaving Vancouver stuck with another bad contract. They need to stay away from anyone over 27 who will only sign for 5+ years and overpaid.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Edler - Karlsson
Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stecher

That is a blueline I like. Only need to get rid of Guddy. Send Juolevi back down to the A, let him marinate until we get an injury. Keep Biega.
The forward group on the other hand could really use so retooling. Need to get rid of some of the dead weight, bring in some prospects. So like, replace Granlund with MacEwan, replace Sutter with Gaudette. The only thing missing would be a decent top 6 guy to replace Goldy. But I don't think we could get 2 high profile UFA's.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He's just thinking out loud / giving his opinion.

We post it here, or at least interpret it, as if it's a legit rumor.

It's not his fault, unless you want him to only type on his keyboard when he's ready to actually report on a legit rumor.

People just like to trash hockey writers for doing their jobs on HFBoards for whatever reason. This was clearly not an actual rumor and he even said that directly. He gets paid to talk hockey, and speculation is part of that.. I don't get the hostility. Seems petty and unnecessary. Let's get the pitchforks out, a hockey writer is speculating about hockey!

Reactions: kanucks25

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Friedman is such a genius. Of course the Canucks will go after a big name UFA. Pettersson sped up their rebuild in a big way. Maybe Hughes comes in and has an impact quick too. Stone is the guy they should go after hard or Duchene. Nucks have the cap space and they don't have much in the way of prospects.

They should be trying to get Tryamkin back.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I don’t think we’ll have the cap space because Benning already had his fun in free agency and used about $17.4mil in cap space on Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, and Beagle.

This is where those deals come back to haunt him.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
seeing how tryamkin left us for the KHL, and goldobin in the perpetual green doghouse, i would bet good money panarin doesnt even glance our way

some might disagree, but I would be very interested in a few of the top UFA d-men coming up, and almost no interest in the UFA forwards. we have too many up and coming strong forwards for us to put a 6 year deal or so into an overrated forward. gaudette, madden, dahlen in my opinion all make it into the big leagues, somewhere in the top 9. thats 3 spots in the next few years along with boeser horvat EP40.

however, our D is absolutely atrocious. we have 2 legit prospects in hughes and woo, who i predict to be a #2 D and a #4 D respectively. juolevi has really stalled in his development due to injury, and its a big mystery if he still projects as a top 4 D or not. therefore i dont mind acquring more actual NHL level D since our current roster is so garbage when markstrom is not hiding their deficiencies behind elite level goaltending. i dont mind if we literally ship out everyone save stecher and edler. gudbranson, pouliot and MDZ are a MUST remove, while biega, hutton (imo overrated just because he plays 25min now) are still tweeners at best.

my priorities (assuming we resign edler):
1. EK65 by a mile. give him whatever he wants, even if he wants above mcdavids level.
2. Stralman at a 3 year deal (doubt this happens)
3. kronwall if he wants to leave DET
Yeah like Kronwall would ever leave Detroit for Vancouver, Yeah that's so not happening.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Rushing?

This is like year 3-4 of the rebuild.

I mean i guess it can be considered rushing if they are following the Oilere/Leaf 10 yr rebuild plan.
I would like to think we are a couple years away for taking a big step. As mentioned in other threads you got to have the perfect timing. Meaning your top end is just about to enter their prime and supported with the best pieces. This years UFA crop is pretty darn good but you need to tread lightly. If you find the right player than so be it.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I think almost every team will be looking to sign that big name free agent including Vancouver. With the Canucks glaring need of a top defenseman, and another impact forward, it is quite easy to speculate that Vancouver will be adding a big name FA.

My guess Karlsson is their top choice. With Stone, and Panarin not far behind.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Rushing?

This is like year 3-4 of the rebuild.

I mean i guess it can be considered rushing if they are following the Oilere/Leaf 10 yr rebuild plan.

The nucks got lucky with Pettersson which will cut the rebuild time by a season at least. If you have a future #1 center in your team it's easy to build around him. The only UFA that they should be looking at this season is better depth for the D. Karlsson would be great but he would also come at a huge cost, with several bad moves on the UFA-front i'm not sure if they dare to go after such a player. They still need to pay Boeser 5-6m depending on the lenght and down the line they will have Pettersson and Huges. And both of them will take atleast 20% of the cap space.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Unless its Panarin, Stone or Karlsson please dont do it Jim, I beg of you, I dont want the Canucks to be giving Michael Ferland or Wayne Simmonds 6m a year for the next half decade, if we're gonna overpay for a UFA at least make it someone worthwhile

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Erik Karlsson is their best bet out of the free agents in terms of money, but what they should do is take cap dump along with extra assets such as prospects and high-end draft picks before their contracts expire. That way they can get ready to give Pettersson, Boeser, etc. the big bucks when it's their time. Honestly, they should work on Boeser now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad