Friedman: Canucks in the high end UFA market?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
They can want to be in the UFA market but do big UFAs want to be there?

It's not like there's a history of signing big UFAs in Vancouver.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Having Pettersson, Karlsson, Q Hughes and whoever the hell else we get in this years draft would be wild :yo:

If not Erik, then we should 100% go after Stone or Panarin if they're interested

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
They can want to be in the UFA market but do big UFAs want to be there?

It's not like there's a history of signing big UFAs in Vancouver.
Mats Sundin baby :laugh:

But In all seriousness, the idea of being apart of this young core of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Demko etc might be very appealing, especially for younger UFAs like Mark Stone. Pettersson-Karlsson Swedish connection hopefully too.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Mats Sundin baby :laugh:

But In all seriousness, the idea of being apart of this young core of Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, Demko etc might be very appealing, especially for younger UFAs like Mark Stone. Pettersson-Karlsson Swedish connection hopefully too.
Well, hope it works out for ya but just saying don't pin your hopes on it.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think it would be unwise to go big game fishing this summer. I think first and foremost you want to get a read on what the rfas sign for and whether the market shifts to paying players at an earlier age if they show that they can produce st a high level during their elc.

If that is the case then that money has to come from some group.

Big name ufas generally come with term past their prime. That’s always the issue with them. Can you do 4-5 years on a 29 year old like what Philly did on JVR rather than 6-7 like the Lucic, lads, Eriksson, group.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I mean, Benning isnt really doing his job if he isnt making those phone calls to see what the markets like.

I wouldn't be against going after Stone or Karlsson. You can only build so much through the draft, free agency is another way to improve your team. A guy like Stone would look good with Horvat. Have EP40 and Boeser on line 1, Horvat and Stone on line 2.

Would be pretty deadly. Guess it depends on what the dollars and term look like.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
High-end UFA requires discipline and a guy wanting to go there. Who knows how much interest Panarin or Stone would have in Van. You can't strike out on your top 2 targets, and then go overpay the next guy after the tier dropoff. There tends to only be two style of UFA's who work out. Very high-end elite players (Niedermayer, Chara, Hossa, and to a lesser extent Suter, and I hope JT), and then the low-end guys you are trying to get on a rebound year (who you generally get screwed if you re-sign). That mid-tier of players is where you see disasters like Lucic, Clarkson, Ladd, Okposo, Eriksson, etc. You really need to know when to walk-away, and preserve cap-space. Considering what Benning has done in the UFA market not even chasing the premium talent, I'd be worried about what he would do if he strikes out on Panarin or Stone.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Stone and Karlsson at 11 Million per each for 7 year

Trading Edler and Tanev...resigning Edler in summer at 5 Million

Then Boeser gets 15 million.. EP would get about 20 million.

Stone is solid but 11 million for a guy who if he scores 30 this year, its his first 30 goal season? Insane. I like the guy.. Want the Jets to get him.. But 11 million? Thats a huuuuge overpay .

He's not as good as Matthews lol.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Stone and Karlsson at 11 Million per each for 7 year

Trading Edler and Tanev...resigning Edler in summer at 5 Million

So I did the Math, and thought that we could sign both....took to long and timed out.....but the numbers work if you move guys

Even took into account Luongo's penalty

Absolutely I know it would not happen....but it was fun...…..Too bad I couldn't recover the numbers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad