Friedman: Canucks in the high end UFA market?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Friedman wonders if Canucks will chase high-end UFA

the Insider pondered what might be on the horizon for the franchise in the off-season.
“I am really curious to see a few months from now do the Canucks take a big swing in free agency,” said Friedman. “I think it’s something that they could be considering.
“Whatever happens, they had a better year this year probably in terms of staying in the race than a lot of us expected. And I know it’s a big tortoise race at the bottom of that Western Conference. But they’ve probably been more competitive than I think a lot of us thought.
“So now all of the sudden you’ve got Pettersson and he looks like he’s a franchise player. You’ve got a really improving Horvat. I think you’re wondering now what you’ve got in Markstrom. You’re looking at this run and saying, ‘What does this mean.’
“But I wonder if they’re going to be tempted to take a swing at one of the top free agents out there. I’m really curious about it. I’m not saying that anyone there has told me that, but I kind of wonder if the wheels are turning about going after a big fish this summer.
“And if that’s the case, you probably have to be very careful in what you do.”

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Ah. So it's the Canucks that will give Gardiner 7mx7

Gardiner isn't high-end, and LD is one of our stronger positions organizationally.

This is Stone or Karlsson. Obviously the Canucks will try, as will lots of other teams, so I don't know if this is thread worthy.

Reactions: gianni

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Mark Stone is a guy I'd be willing to give a lot of money too. Stone is a Western Canadian kid, the Canucks will be able to offer more money than pretty much any team in the league and they also have a guy like Pettersson that can dish him the puck.

If they strike out on him, save your money. This is Jim Benning we're talking about, you just know he's going to sign Micheal Ferland to the next David Clarkson like contract.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This is just Friedman speculating based on the fact that it's a possibility.
I hope they go after Stone or Panarin otherwise no thanks. Benning is awful at free agent signings.

pomx

May 15, 2014
I drool thinking about getting any of Panarin/Karlsson/Stone. Have at it JB!

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Next year is when we really make a playoff push. We have the cap space, so why not? Stone or Karlsson please. Jim won't want Panarin.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Next year is when we really make a playoff push. We have the cap space, so why not? Stone or Karlsson please. Jim won't want Panarin.

C1z7Wtd.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Ah. So it's the Canucks that will give Gardiner 7mx7
I don't think Van will pull an Erik Karlsson but I'd like to see this. Maybe not 7x7 but I think I'd like to see them add a player like Gardiner who can put up 40 on the back end.. him and Hughes would be high end offensive threats for a bit

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'd see if we can get Stone as he'd be an amazing winger for Horvat or even Pettersson. Could also sign Panarin for Pettersson's LW and roll Panarin - Pettersson - Boeser which would be absolutely filthy, but the chances of him coming here are slim to none.

Karlsson for obvious reasons but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable committing the money it would likely take long term.

The #1 priority though is getting Benning fired, so I wouldn't want Benning being the one offering these contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad