Friedman: Canucks in the high end UFA market?

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
I just hope we don't end up with 5+ year contracts for Ferland, Simmonds, and Myers. Don't need more Eriksson and Gudbranson contracts on the team.

Get someone from the top end if possible (Karlsson or Stone). Otherwise just stick to smart signings.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
The nucks got lucky with Pettersson which will cut the rebuild time by a season at least. If you have a future #1 center in your team it's easy to build around him. The only UFA that they should be looking at this season is better depth for the D. Karlsson would be great but he would also come at a huge cost, with several bad moves on the UFA-front i'm not sure if they dare to go after such a player. They still need to pay Boeser 5-6m depending on the lenght and down the line they will have Pettersson and Huges. And both of them will take atleast 20% of the cap space.

Canucks are in a great positions salary cap wise.

When theyre core needs to get paid out of their ELC...they will have expiring contracta on Eriksson Sutter Beagle Gudrbanson

Reactions: GoTeamDom

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Karlsson would be the logical choice. Vancouver's defense is atrocious. Karlsson would instantly become the best defenseman in the history of the Canucks, and bolster their blueline instantly. Helping out on all aspects on the ice, aswell giving the Canucks a lethal powerplay.

Lose Gudbranson and his joke of a contract, and the Canucks have a pretty good blueline.

Karlsson Edler
Hughes Tanev
Stecher Hutton

^Sexy...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I just hope we don't end up with 5+ year contracts for Ferland, Simmonds, and Myers. Don't need more Eriksson and Gudbranson contracts on the team.

Get someone from the top end if possible (Karlsson or Stone). Otherwise just stick to smart signings.
Regardless of who it could be, the prospect of signing guys past their prime is the scary part. I have no faith in a guy like Simmonds lasting longer than 3 years. Myers, injuries concern me. Ferland, I guess it's the desire that worries me.

As great as the 2003 draft class was, they turn 34 this year. How many of that group would you want on your roster at $7 - $8million against the cap for the next 2 years until they turn 36? Bergeron, Burns, Getzlaf, Weber, Staal? A bunch of them like Parise (injury), Kesler, Backes, Vanek, Eriksson, Phaneuf, Seabrook, etc. you wouldn't want.

So, you need to be very realistic as to who can still be very productive into their mid 30's.

If the market moves to paying younger players, then you can't afford the overpaid mid 30 year old because your post ELC guys are no longer going to be underpaid. They will be paid for what they should produce in their prime.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Canucks shouldn't let their proximity to 8th spot in a weak division clout their long term judgement. Keep the first and continue rebuilding.

Reactions: zcaptain

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Mark Stone would be an amazing addition. (Said every team)

I think we'd be looking at defenseman. Erik Karlsson would fill a need the franchise has had since 1970, but its a dream. Tyler Myers will fill a big need.

Another guy I wonder about is Kasperi Kapanen & a potential offersheet. How much room are the Leafs going to have for this guy?

Canucks desperately need help on the Wings & on the backend.

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
No they haven't, their rebuild is a 51 year rebuild and counting. Not a single appearance in a Stanley Cup final.

lol canuck fans.

At least they won a cup. Hanging your hat on making it to the finals three times in 40 years and losing everytime is nothing to be proud of.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Only forwards we would need are Stone and Panarin. I don't wanna touch Hoffman with a pole of any length. After that.. no one interesting left on the market.

The D is more complex. Trading any of Hutton/Edler/Tanev would open another hole and we are already swiss cheese. Can't say we couldn't use a few stopgaps.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Cap space is a non issue in the next 3 years. Expiring deals for Sutter, Gudbranson, Eriksson, Baertschi, Tanev, and Edler either at the same time as Pettersson or before. Assuming Pettersson and Boeser and Markstrom all re-sign for $25m combined, and your cap rises to $85M or something, you can easily slot in Karlsson and even Karlsson + Stone.

I just hope that if they miss on Karlsson that they don't give Myers something like $6.5M x 4yrs. I'd rather just bring back the same D corps and be bad and hope for some improvement from within.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
lol canuck fans.

At least they won a cup. Hanging your hat on making it to the finals three times in 40 years and losing everytime is nothing to be proud of.

Big whoop. They won the cup in a 6-team league. The CFL has 50% more teams than the NHL did in 1967. My high school intramurals had an 8-team bracket ffs. haha

Anyway, the Canucks need a top-4 RHD & a top-6 winger (preferably a gritty one) to round out the roster. And they have the cap space to offer some good ones.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I’m sorry. Why is Erik Karlsson going to sign in Vancouver???
Really not seeing the logic.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad