Post-Game Talk: Canucks @ Hawks: We won in Shootout!?!? 3-2 (Kassian, Daniel, Kesler)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bender*

If the playoffs started right now, the Canucks would play Chicago? Reading the new playoff format right, if Vancouver gets a wildcard, they crossover and play the winner of the Central division - so either St. Louis or Chicago most likely? Wow. I can't take another Chicago/Van playoff.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
If the playoffs started right now, the Canucks would play Chicago? Reading the new playoff format right, if Vancouver gets a wildcard, they crossover and play the winner of the Central division - so either St. Louis or Chicago most likely? Wow. I can't take another Chicago/Van playoff.

Anaheim..

I'll explain... 1st place in the Western conference play's the last place wild Card team..

Vancouver is the 1st place wildcard team (out of 2) therefore would play the The Division Winner With with the fewest points (Anaheim)

Minnesota is the other wildcard team but they have 3 less points then us. And the wildcard team can come from either division so there can be 5

teams from one division in the playoffs. But as it stands now its 4 aside

Last edited:

John Bender*

Anaheim..

I'll explain... 1st place in the Western conference play's the last place wild Card team..

Vancouver is the 1sd place wildcard team (out of 2) therefore would play the The Division Winner With with the fewest points (Anaheim)

Thanks for that..........was wondering how that worked.

YouCantYandleThis*

I honestly thought Eddie looked good...but not fantastic last night. Both of the goals against could have been stopped, and a certain Canuck goaltender would generally be lambasted if they happened to go on him.

That said, I think he played well enough to let him ride out a couple games, and see how he handles some straight starts.

I just didn't see the single-handed, blackhawks-crushing, world-beater that apparently a ton of people here watched last night.

Also...Sedins in the shootout....holy ****. Daniel at least had a somewhat solid attempt, but watching those two perform in the shootout is like having a vasectomy with a pair of nail clippers.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I honestly thought Eddie looked good...but not fantastic last night. Both of the goals against could have been stopped, and a certain Canuck goaltender would generally be lambasted if they happened to go on him.

That said, I think he played well enough to let him ride out a couple games, and see how he handles some straight starts.

I just didn't see the single-handed, blackhawks-crushing, world-beater that apparently a ton of people here watched last night.

Also...Sedins in the shootout....holy ****. Daniel at least had a somewhat solid attempt, but watching those two perform in the shootout is like having a vasectomy with a pair of nail clippers.

was anyone saying this? I thought it was a pretty great game that either team could have won, and Eddie made some huge saves not only in the shootout but in the game the save on Ben Smith was incredible to stretch that far and not give up.

From what i saw most poster's said Chicago played better then Vancouver which I disagree with thought we battled hard in a difficult to play in building and earned the 2 points

arsmaster*

I haven't read the last few pages, but I didn't see a Blackhawks domination or anything, I do think we rendered Toews, sharp, and Hossa to very little.

The fact Quenville got Kane out against Kassian and booth at will in the first was a problem for us. But other than that we hung with the Hawks chance for chance. I took it as a positive especially in a game we trailed most of the way in a back to back.

Tanevian*

Lack should have had the first one, most people thought so. The second one? No. But what he didn't do is let the soul crushing weak one in the third and was great in shoot out. When he does he will hear about it.

If he was signed until 2024 then maybe the odd goal would cause some angst.

Tanevian*

From what i saw most poster's said Chicago played better then Vancouver which I disagree with thought we battled hard in a difficult to play in building and earned the 2 points

Most Hawks fans felt they didn't deserve to win. Their team showed up in the 1st and then faded away. By faded away they mean "were outplayed by a tired team".

Lundface*

Lack has now played against the top teams in the West - Chicago, St Louis, Anaheim. In these games he has won two on the tail end of back to backs and lost the other game 2-1.

As you mentioned it's time to give him more starts. The scary thing is he appears to have even more potential than Schneider to me. Huge frame with athleticism and not prone to giving pucks away. He's not at that level yet but he needs more starts to refine his game.

And yes the first goal was weak, I'd think most people would agree with that..including himself. But the guy shut the door and stopped some grade A scoring chances, and followed it up by dominating some of the most skilled shooters in the world. I'd say he deserves a ton of credit for his work last night.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Most Hawks fans felt they didn't deserve to win. Their team showed up in the 1st and then faded away. By faded away they mean "were outplayed by a tired team".

Wow.. I actually thought this of the Canucks. Just weren't energetic.

There were a lot of movement through the neutral zone into the Canucks end, turn overs exiting our zone.. general lazy plays.

I really felt like the Canucks stole 2 points and deserved none aside from the effort of Lack.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Lack should have had the first one, most people thought so. The second one? No. But what he didn't do is let the soul crushing weak one in the third and was great in shoot out. When he does he will hear about it.

If he was signed until 2024 then maybe the odd goal would cause some angst.

I don't want to live on this planet any more...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The only problem is that Corrado's another right-sider and both Edler and Stanton play the left. Team's been very lucky that Garrison's a natural left-sider who's been playing his off-side with Edler, or we'd be looking at Hamhuis and Alberts as the only natural left-side D on the team.

Losing Stanton hurt the team a lot... more than Edler in my opinion.
The way I see it, we started out with only 2 natural right-defensemen and had 4 left side defensemen. Two left side defensemen go down, you have one right side guy who could be called up-- Why would that pose a problem? :huh:

Edit: Oh right, Weber.... nevermind

Last edited:

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
One of the idiot guys on sportsnet was saying we gotta trade Bo Horvat at the deadline for Andrew Ladd to make a run... I can't stand the sportsnet panel

That's funny. It's not like Ladd has a rep for being a big playoff scorer. I think he'd help us a lot more in the regular season. His shootout prowess would probably single handedly give us 5-10 more points in a season!

YouCantYandleThis*

Lack has now played against the top teams in the West - Chicago, St Louis, Anaheim. In these games he has won two on the tail end of back to backs and lost the other game 2-1.

As you mentioned it's time to give him more starts. The scary thing is he appears to have even more potential than Schneider to me. Huge frame with athleticism and not prone to giving pucks away. He's not at that level yet but he needs more starts to refine his game.

And yes the first goal was weak, I'd think most people would agree with that..including himself. But the guy shut the door and stopped some grade A scoring chances, and followed it up by dominating some of the most skilled shooters in the world. I'd say he deserves a ton of credit for his work last night.

Lack's always excited me as much, or more than Schneider. As you said, his frame is Luongo-esque, and his game, while still a little raw, looks to be exactly the kind of athletic, alert, solid, lateral goaltender we need.

And yeah, he played great.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
We're really starting to see what Moose fans were saying about Lack. They were touting that he will be better than Schneider for awhile. His only bad game was his first ever NHL start and even then he held on for the win.

Scary to think what he'll be like in a season or two.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
We're really starting to see what Moose fans were saying about Lack. They were touting that he will be better than Schneider for awhile. His only bad game was his first ever NHL start and even then he held on for the win.

He's also signed to a very nice contract. Lack's got the potential, he just needs more games.

Wetcoaster

I find it hard to believe Detroit is struggling in the East, maybe the style is different which maybe true
Or perhaps DRW are on a downward trend after a prolonged period of sustained excellence?

Perhaps not as bad as the Darkness with Harkness (aka Detroit Dead Things) era.

Wetcoaster

The best thing I take away from Lack's play (last night and previously) is that team has confidence in him and there is no drop off in intensity when he is in goal. Putting in Eddie does not result in the team mailing in the game.

Post Burkie the Canucks have become a home for elite goaltending - who wudda thunk it, eh???

Maybe Burke and his Goalie Wheel of Misfortune was the problem in the West Coast Express team not being capable of getting over the hump and only winning one post season round during Burke's tenure as GM.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

Lack's potential was the very thing that took the sting out of the Schneider trade for me. Knowing that he could develop into a solid backup and even eventually starter, and that he was younger than Cory, convinced me that the Canucks really were dealing from strength and depth. It puts the goalie controversy on the backburner, still allows two solid netminders, and adds Horvat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad