Post-Game Talk: Canucks @ Hawks: We won in Shootout!?!? 3-2 (Kassian, Daniel, Kesler)

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Also I went back to the thread when Santo was signed and had a good laugh over several responses.

Yeah, I still can't believe the Canucks signing a 27 year old former 20 goal scorer for less than what guys like Desbiens and Mancari were getting could generate so much angst.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
A few things...

Positive.

Lack, pretty sure we lose in regulation if Lu is net. Ben smith and bollig had great lateral chances that I don't think belly flop Lu makes the save on.

Santorelli , continues to be better than expectations. Damn near ended the game.

D Sedin, scored a nice one. Didn't make any obvious mistakes that I can think of.

Penalty kill continues to be damn good.

Tanev, solid again as usual.

Neutral.

Higgins, had a few nice chances, but didn't finish.

Booth, couple chances couple gaffs.

Kassian, scored but was pretty invisible the rest of the time.

Weber, good for minutes played.

Negatives.

Hank , pretty awful give away. Missed the net on a 3 on 2. Embarrassing shootout attempt...Not too good.

PP continues to suck.

Offense looked out of sync most of the night. Chances and no finish, story of the year.

Alberts , I like the guy I just wish he was better. Not a great game.

Hansen , hands of stone. Please take him off the top line it's painful to watch.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
BHawksFP.png

stole this from CDC

TTOMO

Aug 30, 2011
Port Moody, BC
I missed the 1st period, but the boys sure showed resiliency and fight the rest of the game against the best team in the league, on the second game of back to back nights. You have to like that. Huge win.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Patrick Kane is a ridiculous player. I've always said that he drives that team, not Toews, and it really is showing. Chicago looks poised to make a run at the cup again, so that was a solid effort by the Canucks to squeak out the win. Props to Lack, who effectively stole the 2 points. Those saves on Smith and Bollig were absolutely crucial.

Speaking of which, where do the Hawks get those guys? Smith, Bollig and Kruger all made some great skilled plays tonight. Really shows how much depth helps and contributes to a team. I was watching sporadically at a Christmas party, but I thought despite Toews looking fairly ineffective all game, the Hawks looked good overall because of their other lines.

Like people have been talking about in the Armchair Thread, if Gillis can acquire a Vanek/Moulson type to push down everyone else in the lineup, I see no reason why this team coached by Torts cannot be competing in the West.

Sedin-Sedin-Vanek
Higgins-Kesler-Santorelli
Burrows-Richardson-Hansen
Booth-Welsh-Kassian/Weise

The second line was once again terrific, and Santorelli has been a god send. If he keeps this up, Kesler continues playing the way he has, and the Sedins can produce like they're capable of on a consistent basis, things look good.

Close out the solid December with a win in the Peg and things are looking good for the Canucks after this one. Good to see.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Weber won me over partially based on the fact patty kane was dangling with his force field at full power ..... in ot, and weber just knocked the puck from him and skated right through the force field.

Weber and alberts are both not good enough in our own end, one of them needs to go, we can afford to loose one d man based on the pairings, but loosing two dmen really hurts us. When we lost stanton and edler our pairs were screwed up and we only have one rock solid pairing.

Preferably i concede, keep weber, and use corrado.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
So we seen zack, we seen dalpe, we seen booth, can we stop getting into fits when torts does not pick them? Who here thought kesler was going to score the game winner? But yet no matter who is selected for the shootout, someone will say torts screwed up.

Its fine to disagree, but its amazing when people think hes a complete moron for not picking a posters favorite.

Last edited:

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I like the idea of using the Sedins even thought the stink at the shootout. Torts is making them step outside of their comfort zone and grow as players. Dalpe seems like a logical shootout guy with his good release and accurate shot. I would not mind seeing him again in the shootout.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
don't know if this has been mentioned, but we've been 7-3-3 so far against the hawks since 2010. Considering they won 2 cups and is the toast of the league during that span, I'd say we match up pretty good against them.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
don't know if this has been mentioned, but we've been 7-3-3 so far against the hawks since 2010. Considering they won 2 cups and is the toast of the league during that span, I'd say we match up pretty good against them.

Its Regular season.

Nice win though tonight, they sure needed it. :handclap:

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks have to be feeling the love for Eddie Lack. Game changer!

Sedins are slow enough they need skating coaching like Booth got.

Weber looked good a couple of times. I think he wants to stay.

Hawks tried to intimidate and were unsuccessful. That, alone, makes it a great game for me. This team wasn't bullied or even worried about it. That's a key quality for post season success.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
3rd game in 4 nights vs best team in the league w/ handicapped defense and backup goalie.

Tough to complain about being outplayed. We had our chances and played a pretty solid road game. The Hawks were the better team, but not by a huge margin.

Yeah, not as bad as I thought even with that rough start we had in the 1st period. Impressed with their push back after they were down.

Lack had a phenomenal game. Wish he got more starts.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Not to be a downer, but I don't see what people are saying with a great shootout for Lack. That was all on the Chicago shooters, he looked very shaky, and I don't like how deep in the crouch he stays. He's a big goalie that plays small.

Post-save he may have looked a little awkward on some of them but I don't think he looked shaky at all. Liked his patience in the shootout, and his agility in actual play.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
3rd game in 4 nights vs best team in the league w/ handicapped defense and backup goalie.

Tough to complain about being outplayed. We had our chances and played a pretty solid road game. The Hawks were the better team, but not by a huge margin.

were we outplayed?

I know in the first we were, then i only seen the OT and shootout, but hawks fans were claiming they mailed it in 2nd half of the game and we were the better team....? I think tsn said we badly out shot them in the 2nd and im unsure about the 3rd.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Post-save he may have looked a little awkward on some of them but I don't think he looked shaky at all. Liked his patience in the shootout, and his agility in actual play.

Agreed. He is not overly graceful but he gets in position to make the save.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Weber's been playing much better as of late. I think he's getting some confidence under him. Still makes me nervous though. :laugh:

Yeah he has been better since being put back on D IMO. Granted he does have Garrison to steady him but still I'm pleasantly surprised.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
were we outplayed?

I know in the first we were, then i only seen the OT and shootout, but hawks fans were claiming they mailed it in 2nd half of the game and we were the better team....? I think tsn said we badly out shot them in the 2nd and im unsure about the 3rd.

In the 1st period, yeah. They jumped on us early on. After that though we outplayed them and the final Corsi count ended up about even. Matches up with what I was seeing out there on the ice too in terms of the play. There's definitely room for improvement but for a team playing its 3rd game in 4 nights on the road, with both Alberts + Weber in the lineup and missing 3 regulars that is pretty good I would say.

A rested team like the Hawks has no reason to be mailing it in. It's BS.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Just came back from the game, first time at the Madhouse. Other than the anthem, and the post goal celebrations, was a pretty lifeless atmosphere. Was glad to see the comeback, our goals you could hear the 20 odd Canuck fans cheer - not sure I've ever felt so vulnerable cheering on the Canucks! Great win, Alberts was horrible. Time for Corrado to get the call!

Welcome to HF!

I wouldn't mind seeing Santorelli on the first unit though I'm not sure who would play point. Santo is an absolute puck hound and has decent hands to finish down low which would be an asset.

I agree.

The team really lacks a PP QB type. I really don't get why Hamhuis plays before either Garrison or Bieksa though. Even Weber, isn't the PP is talent?

I like the idea of Kesler or Weber back there. 1 righty and 1 lefty for the one-timers. Hamhuis needs to be taken off PP1.

****ing Lu. :laugh:

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I definitely don't agree with people saying Chicago was the better team, it was just a great back and forth game and we won, we almost won it in regulation with that last 3 on 2. And Santoreilly and Kesler had some grade A chances in OT nice to see they were the ones who won it for us in the shootout.

Can't wait to play Winnipeg on sunday

Lemurion

Mar 10, 2011
I really feel like there's no excuse to to bring up Corrado right now.

The only problem is that Corrado's another right-sider and both Edler and Stanton play the left. Team's been very lucky that Garrison's a natural left-sider who's been playing his off-side with Edler, or we'd be looking at Hamhuis and Alberts as the only natural left-side D on the team.

Losing Stanton hurt the team a lot... more than Edler in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad