Canucks have asked about Jonathon Blum

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Not big on Blum.

We need a partner for Edler, it was an obvious problem last year, and not someone he has to babysit either. It reminds of when Burke traded for Malik, and he and Jovo became the top pairing in the league. To look back and think that Marek Malik was one half of one of the teams best ever defence pairing is just odd. He was just the right guy for the job.

And that is what we need. Someone who unleash Edler into an elite game controlling defenceman.

My vote last year was for Franson, and that was mocked, but he had a bit of a breakout season. Was hoping for Ellerby but that is off.

So my vote for the next Malik is Ryan O'Byrne. :help:

My prediction however is that we acquire a defenceman by trade.

Tanev. Done. On to the next problem: Should the parade hang a left on Denman after coming down West Georgia? :sarcasm:

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I will say this :

Blum strikes me as a 'bad pro scouting' signing. This guy was given massive opportunities to succeed, in the perfect team to develop as a defender, in Nashville. He failed for obvious reasons - small, weak, and ineffective. Wasn't even very good in the AHL last year. But still carries 'name' value as a #1 pick - look at how keen everyone is to sign him in this thread.

Kind of Cam Barker-ish in that regard IMO.

Holden would IMO be a 'good pro scouting' signing. Guy flying under the radar, never drafted, outstanding AHL player but has never been given an NHL chance so you don't really know what he's capable of at this level.

Minor signings will be key this offseason - they're really all we can make, and we'll have to make a lot of them and some of them will play fairly important roles by default. How good our pro scouting is will be paramount, and I'm very interested to see how we go with these sorts of signings.

They are not mutually exclusive. You bring in Blum because you need a guy on that second unit PP with a right shot. Tanev is not going to get PP time and if Bieksa gets hurt you are in deep crap not having a rightie at all. Blum is like a Steve McCarthy kind of signing. Not a bad bet when you still have a kid like Corrado that could beat him out of a spot. You certainly would be foolish to just hand that to Frankie this year. Bad, bad idea.

The left side is an easier hole for us to fill because I believe we'll be looking for a #4LD and maybe some AHL depth. Holden may fit that description. I'd prefer a guy like Fistric that has more NHL minutes behind him, similar age, and has qualities like Alberts did (but more offense and younger).

For me Blum and Fistric is a pretty solid haul to add to the current group.

I'd prefer to be able to add White, Roszival or Gilbert, but that are all going over the 1.5 million mark and we are going to be shopping at Wal-Mart.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

For me Blum and Fistric are just flat-out bad hockey players who are over-rated here because they're former #1 picks with ties to this market who people really liked when they played for the Giants.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
For me Blum and Fistric are just flat-out bad hockey players who are over-rated here because they're former #1 picks with ties to this market who people really liked when they played for the Giants.

Yep but you are not going to be signing superstars when you can afford an average of 1.1 m to fill out the holes on you roster and have Tanev to match, and a center spot that needs a top veteran presence on the 4th line given the third line center is occupied by a sophomore.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

I'd prefer to be able to add White, Roszival or Gilbert, but that are all going over the 1.5 million mark and we are going to be shopping at Wal-Mart.

I'm not opposed to taking a flyer on Blum at a low price, but the bolded goes against my principle of "never take a defenseman that couldn't crack the Oilers blue line." Fistric is a clear downgrade on Alberts at this point, and I'd have way more interest in a guy like O'Byrne.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yup, agreed completely.

It's amazing how many chances #1 picks get. And how teams think that they can somehow get results out of players who have completely flopped elsewhere.

It's slightly different with guys who actually made the NHL early and then under-achieved for a bit while still being relatively solid NHL players, but for guys like this who are nobodies/fringe players 5-6 years after being drafted, the success rate is next to zero.

drake berehowsky
scott lachance
nolan baumgartner
sean brown
steve mccarthy
lukas krajicek
ryan parent
cam barker

technically one in eight, right? but ugh, what an awful list of retreads. at least we pushed the majority of these guys out of the league, i guess.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep but you are not going to be signing superstars when you can afford an average of 1.1 m to fill out the holes on you roster and have Tanev to match, and a center spot that needs a top veteran presence on the 4th line given the third line center is occupied by a sophomore.

Yup, but that's no excuse for signing guys that are crap.

There are better buys than this out there. Nick Holden and Mike Kostka are two guys I'd be targeting.

But the fact that it's reported that we're in on Blum and Fistric is really disappointing to me. Speaks of poor pro scouting and lack of effort. "Oh, we've heard of these guys before, maybe they'll be OK!"

drake berehowsky
scott lachance
nolan baumgartner
sean brown
steve mccarthy
lukas krajicek
ryan parent
cam barker

technically one in eight, right? but ugh, what an awful list of retreads. at least we pushed the majority of these guys out of the league, i guess.

Lachance was a good player before getting here who even played in an All-Star game once, so I'd actually say 0/7.

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Yup, but that's no excuse for signing guys that are crap.

There are better buys than this out there. Nick Holden and Mike Kostka are two guys I'd be targeting.

But the fact that it's reported that we're in on Blum and Fistric is really disappointing to me. Speaks of poor pro scouting and lack of effort. "Oh, we've heard of these guys before, maybe they'll be OK!"

Agree with all of this, but was there ever any reason to think it would be different?

I'm having a hard time thinking of a lot of great bargain-bin signings we've made for depth over the past few years. Weise and Lapierre were solid pickups, but our scouts seem to be attracted to a lot of junk during the offseason--Sturm, Alberts, Barker, Sestito, etc.

The weird thing is that we've done okay with higher-end and mid-range signings--guys like Demitra or Samuelsson or Garrison or Malhotra or Torres. But when it comes to filling out the 4th line or 6th-9th defenseman positions, we haven't made many shrewd "buy low" moves. Last one I can think of was Aaron Rome in 2009.

And as you say, finding bargains is doubly important this year.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Lachance was a good player before getting here who even played in an All-Star game once, so I'd actually say 0/7.

yeezus, just looked at his hockey-reference profile. i had no idea. when we got him, that was almost literally the first time i'd heard his name since the albertville olympics.

EDIT: that '97 all-star game selection looks mighty fraudulent though. a team with four very good young d-men in kenny jonsson, berard, mccabe, and kasparaitis and it's lachance that makes the all-star team? even as an injury replacement, that's kind of astounding.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Sorry, in my perfect world our top 4 is Hamhuis/Garrison, Edler/Tanev, and Juice is on the third pairing :D

Not sure which world that would be where Tanev is on the 2nd pairing ahead of Bieksa. A delusional one no doubt.

I'm take him or leave him with Blum. I think we're pretty much done at D now, realistically speaking.

member 202355

Blum is just a depth signing, really. Wouldn't be bad to see him on the Canucks though.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I would love to see Blum signed.
He is/was a high end offensive prospect -- seems to have gotten lost in the defensive depths in Nash, perhaps cause he's too skinny... If he puts on some weight and is given a real shot he could be a real player.... Rememberhow he played vs us in the '11 POs?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Garrison better be getting a lot of powerplay time... just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad