Canucks have asked about Jonathon Blum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Not sure if this warrants it's own thread or not but Jonothan Blum has mentioned that he'd love to play for Vancouver, and that the Canucks have contacted his agent.

We seem to have some luck attracting defensemen with Vancouver connections and Blum would be a great fit for the 6/7 slot and help make the team younger.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/0...n-blum-would-love-chance-to-play-for-canucks/

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports/status/352843754551513088

https://twitter.com/botchford/status/352889674483765250

Former Vancouver Giants defenceman Jon Blum, an unrestricted free agent after playing out his contract with the Nashville Predators, says that a “few teams,†have called his agent Johannson to express interest and admits that the Vancouver Canucks are one of them.

And he’s openly keen on playing here. He did also say, “I’m going to let me agent do his job,†as well, for what it’s worth.

“I would love it,†said Blum, 24, who suited up for 248 regular season games with the Giants from 2005-09. “It’s like my second home.

“It would be a good transition for me. There would be a lot of familiar faces around ton.â€

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
He would be a good fit. Canucks need another right-handed defenseman who can also play on the power-play.

StringerBell

Really liked him with the Giants. Great guy to take a flyer on.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His stock has really plummeted in the past couple seasons.

He's a good outlet passer, but that's about it. He's smallish and struggles defensively, and the offensive potential he showed earlier in his career has stagnated, and actually regressed if anything.

He'd be a decent signing as a #7-8 defender or the top guy on the farm, but he's not a guy a contending team has in their top 6 heading into a season.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Cmon.....Schultz wanted to win last season. A playoff lock.

He wanted to be able to have a chance to win the Stanley Cup, so he joined a great team with tons of great talent that would surely make the playoffs and succeed in the next few seasons. Not to mention the amount of playoff experience on the team.

:sarcasm:

Dado

Any concerns that an organization that really knows D-men just let him walk as a 24 year old? I suppose 2-way at league minimum can't hurt anything...

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Any concerns that an organization that really knows D-men just let him walk as a 24 year old? I suppose 2-way at league minimum can't hurt anything...

Absolutely, but sometimes players need a change of scenery. Also, it's not like we're going to offer him a huge contract, we're probably going to offer a one or two year deal for under $1M per.

Low risk, high reward.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

I have similar concerns over the name Fistric being thrown around who's current team is his hometown and is short on NHL quality D men.

I guess Edmonton still isn't out of the question though... as far as I know anyways.

StringerBell

Normally, I would agree with you, but in this case we're pretty much talking about our last $1M. Is Blum the guy we want to spend that on?

We can always dump him in the minors if he doesn't make the roster.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Normally, I would agree with you, but in this case we're pretty much talking about our last $1M. Is Blum the guy we want to spend that on?

I would say yes.

If he struggles we can waive him. If he gets claimed, then we're free of his cap hit. If he doesn't get claimed, then we send him to the AHL and take on a tiny cap penalty (or none at all if he is signed for under 900k).
And with the extra cap space we can call up Corrado or sign one of the few UFA d-men who will still probably be looking for jobs at the start of the season.

Chwc

Sep 6, 2008
Vancouver
Hope we give him a chance, if he doesn't work out waive him.
He might be another Ryan Parent at worst?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad