Canucks have asked about Jonathon Blum

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
There's no way Blum gets $1 million. He could have been qualified around $700k, and if some team wanted him badly enough to pay him $1 million, then they would have traded for his rights.

At this point, he's a useful piece as a depth guy/first call up. Save for last season, he's been awful in the NHL. The hope is that last season was a sign of progression.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There's no way Blum gets $1 million. He could have been qualified around $700k, and if some team wanted him badly enough to pay him $1 million, then they would have traded for his rights.

Pretty much.

He's a guy you only take if he's signing for the league minimum or damn close to it.

He's not a very good player, so can only provide value by being really cheap.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Any concerns that an organization that really knows D-men just let him walk as a 24 year old? I suppose 2-way at league minimum can't hurt anything...

There's no room for him on Nashville's roster after they drafted Jones. With Weber, Jones, Klein and Ellis ahead of him on the depth chart, there is no way they were ever going to be able to keep him.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
Hey, a couple people said they'd have kept Ballard if he was making less money. Enter Blum. Fast skating, puck rushing defenceman who's weak defensively. Sounds familiar. Much less physical than Ballard, but at least he can play the right side and cost less.

King of the ES*

Any concerns that an organization that really knows D-men just let him walk as a 24 year old? I suppose 2-way at league minimum can't hurt anything...

Not really. That organization really has too many defencemen. Blum's an offense-first guy, and when there's already a Weber, a Josi, and an Ellis in the system, he's not going to get that many opportunities. To them, he is expendable.

I think this would be a great gamble, and it sounds like it's going to happen. Him being very enthusiastic about coming to Vancouver is important, too, as I don't imagine that same enthusiasm would be shared by many, when seeing the mess that's been created of this situation over the last year or two. Sign him up.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Was last year the last time that he didn't need to clear waivers
It was 200 something pro games. has this changed under the new CBA

if we sign him, he's gonna have to be shuttling in between Utica and the big leagues too. Blum is not the extra D that you carry around. You usually want a guy that can be sound defensively and play those extra couple minutes.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
On a one year deal he'd be great as a 6/7th depth signing.

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Tanev
Garrison Corrado/Blum

With the cap as it is this is about the best we can expect on defense.

Outside99*

2nd guessing the Preds on dmen evaluation is a losing proposition.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

At this point, he's a useful piece as a depth guy/first call up. Save for last season, he's been awful in the NHL. The hope is that last season was a sign of progression.

Yup I was figuring he'd cost around $700k-$800k ish.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The Canucks are no doubt going to address D issues. They have a new system and the defense must be altered to suit. Blum is young, cheap and addresses the PP QB issue (hopefully). Good way to go. Add Fistric, too, if former Giants are being brought in.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The Canucks are no doubt going to address D issues. They have a new system and the defense must be altered to suit. Blum is young, cheap and addresses the PP QB issue (hopefully). Good way to go. Add Fistric, too, if former Giants are being brought in.

Mikkleson is also around.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm going to set the bar really low with one request - no more having 7th and 8th guys who only play the same one side. One right side guy, and one left side guy. Pretty simple right?

The cluster-F it has created every year to not fix this issue is embarrassing.

Nov 1, 2011
If Blum will come for $600K or less, I'm in.

If we wanted him for $700K, we would have flipped our 7th to NSH for him and qualified him.

I think we would look really good on a pairing with Garrison which could leave us with:
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Blum

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Well, if Edler is still on the team, then you have Bieksa, Garrison, Tanev, and Corrado all as better options on the right side... not sure I see a fit unless he's in the AHL or playing as a #7 or #8 while Corrado gets minutes in the minors.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As mentioned assuming we can get him near league minimum it is a good signing. Worst case scenario you can bury that salary in the minors even under the current CBA limit, so he's really not a risk against the cap. Possible upside, and we have a coaching staff that's proven to be good with young defensemen so might as well roll the dice.

thedavid

Jan 26, 2012
Vancouver
I could see Gillis offering something similar to the contract Keaton Ellerby just accepted. I don't know if he'd take it, but that's what I'd be happy with.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
Don't really know much about him. I guess since he's right handed I'd be down if we have the space and aren't able to make any other moves, but I think the priority is improving our anemic offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille