TSN: Canucks, Golden Knights, Hurricanes, and Flames interested in Tyson Barrie

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Toronto finally waving the white flag and are sellers? :towel:

Van should just make a minimal offer, otherwise just sign him at no cost of assets in the summer.

Stecher, Juolevi, Bailey

for

Barrie

I think Calgary has the biggest need out of all these teams for a guy like Barrie.
"Only way Barrie gets dealt is if TOR finds better fit on D, or gets pieces to flip for that better fit."

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Holden for Barrie
RoyLipFace.GIF

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Makes zero sense for the Leafs to trade Barrie unless they (as an organization) feel this isn't their year and want to stock up for next year. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

Why not? I don't see why the Leafs can't move Barrie and still compete for a playoff spot. People make it sound like trading Barrie is like they're losing prime Doughty or Keith or something when moving him isn't going to that much of a difference maker in my mind. Move Barrie and trade for a good defensive Dman that can play 20-25 mins a night and the Leafs will be better for it.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Seems like an over payment for someone who doesn't care/cant play defense at all.
Coincidentally, it's almost exactly what Kevin Shattenkirk got three years ago. And considering that Barrie is going to be making a whole wack load more money than guys like Scandella or Martinez this summer, it's quite well established that NHL teams like defensemen who can put up a lot of points. Barrie ain't great in his own zone, no lies he's pretty bad there, but he is good offensively and a pretty good PP QB. Just about every comparable metric there is, those being trades and contracts, show that NHL teams do consistently overpay for offensive guys who don't play much defense.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Holden has been below mediocre this year. Vegas 1st needs to be included if thats the case

He absolutely has not. He's been part of a top defensive pairing with Theodore. Now, you could say Theodore is carrying him to those heights (he is) but Holden has been certainly not below mediocre.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Would be weird to see TO move Barrie... the headscratching would continue on for me with this Leaf team if it happened

It's not that complicated.

Barrie doesn't have a contract beyond this season. He's also a style of player the Leafs have in abundance on the blue line.

So the logic would be you trade him, because of the above reasons, and bring back some assets that you would likely flip for a defencemen with term and play style that's more aligned with what the Leafs need.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Barrie has been a terrible fit on the Leafs but he still holds trade value. He would get a 1st, 2nd and a couple of warm bodies type return or its player for player. The Leafs would then use some of those assets on a defenseman that is a far better fit.
All the people saying they are giving up makes me laugh. They are being very smart about this.
They have an asset that has value in the open market that is of greater value to their team. move that asset and add an asset that is of better value in that spot.

If a team fighting to make the playoffs doesn’t see him as a guy they can win with why is any other playoff team going to trade all those assets for him? Quite a bit you’re expecting in return.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Would be weird to see TO move Barrie... the headscratching would continue on for me with this Leaf team if it happened

If we can flip the assets we get in a Barrie trade for a coveted Top 4 Dman....I dont see why it would be head-scratching.

I dont think you realize just how bad Barrie has been with the Leafs. He's a massive part of our defensive woes

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Leafs can’t trade Barrie unless this involves picks or find a cheap replacement for his lost production. He earns so little due to the AVs retention.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Seems like an over payment for someone who doesn't care/cant play defense at all.

That is what a soon to be UFA called Shattenkirk cost. Both players are very good comparables to each other so it gives you a good gauge to value.
Any team that wants him now is not looking at his season with the Leafs and is saying boy we want some of that.
They are looking at how he was used in Colorado and who he was paired with and saying if he can do 80% of that it will help our team over what we are currently employing. Except for Vancouver. Benning has to Benning so that is their angle.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
If we can flip the assets we get in a Barrie trade for a coveted Top 4 Dman....I dont see why it would be head-scratching.

I dont think you realize just how bad Barrie has with the Leafs. He's a massive part of our defensive woes

Every other team in the league knows this. No one is going to be giving up some of the returns being asked for in this thread so the leafs can turn around and flip those assets for a better dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad