Canucks Free Agent Frenzy 2014!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Sestito is currently younger and better than Thornton. Insane salary to pay Iginla there too (1 year at that amount is fine, 2 is a waste).

At the end of the day that doesn't matter too much. Flip a coin Thornton vs Sestito. $500k difference for similar player, it just seems like Linden likes Thornton and Benning from Boston, etc. I just don't want both of them is why I listed just Thornton.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman
Uptown Sports ‏@uptownhockey 2m
Uptown client Cory Conacher is now an unrestricted free agent that can sign with any #NHL club starting tomorrow at noon. @BuffaloSabres

5'8?

List_of_things_aint_nobody_got_time_for-1.png

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
At the end of the day that doesn't matter too much. Flip a coin Thornton vs Sestito. $500k difference for similar player, it just seems like Linden likes Thornton and Benning from Boston, etc. I just don't want both of them is why I listed just Thornton.

Have we actually heard Benning is interested in Thornton, or is this just speculation?

And yes, there is a difference. Sestito can play a regular shift. Thornton used to be able to, but he's lost it. And in any case, it's switching out the 26 year old for the 36 year old (also worth mentioning that Thornton can't be burried). Thornton won't really fight heavyweight anymore either.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
It's possible but the main issue I have is that I doubt Miller wants to go to a team where he'll be splitting starts. He'll want to be the guy.

So then Lack needs to greatly outplay an average to above average goalie to get consistent starts. Lack isn't getting any younger, do we really want him to finally start becoming a starter when he's basically 30?

Once he's here it's not really up to Miller how much he plays. On that note hopefully he's not a pouter and whiner if things don't go exactly like he hoped. I look at the splits roughly like this:

Miller playing real well/Lack decent: Miller 60 gms/Lack 22 gms
Miller and Lack playing about equal: Miller 50 gms/Lack 32 gms
Lack playing real well/ Miller only decent: Miller and Lack split the games for awhile, and if that trend continues Lack takes more and more starts, eventually it's obvious Lack's the #1.

It's easy right now to pencil in Miller as the clear #1 but things can change quickly when the season starts. Not too many people saw the Luongo/Schneider saga going down the way it did, and we all knew Schneids was an up and comer with legit #1 type skills.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Have we actually heard Benning is interested in Thornton, or is this just speculation?

And yes, there is a difference. Sestito can play a regular shift. Thornton used to be able to, but he's lost it. And in any case, it's switching out the 26 year old for the 36 year old (also worth mentioning that Thornton can't be burried). Thornton won't really fight heavyweight anymore either.

Total speculation from Linden's comments and the fact Benning is coming over from Boston. Maybe Benning would prefer Sestito. All i'm saying is we just need 1 of those guys.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
'Kypreos just on the radio in TOR. Said he expects Dave Bolland to sign a 6 or 7 year deal with the Florida Panthers, worth north of 5M a season.''

Glad we dodges that bullet.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not an exaggeration at all. Lack was terrible after Luongo was dealt. He only had 7 of his final 16 games where his SVP was above .900 in a game.

Luongo was stopping pucks at a similar rate during our collapse.

And in any case, if Lack sucks, you get exactly what you want - a high draft pick.

If he doesn't (which I think is the much more likely scenario) we're set at the position for several years with a young-ish bargain player.

Sticking one of the oldest starters in the league (EDIT : 2nd oldest, actually) in there at a massive salary does absolutely nothing for the franchise.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Yikes... apparently Bolland is going to get 6 or 7 years for more than $5 mil per from Florida. That's ridiculous. (According to Kypreos)

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
'Kypreos just on the radio in TOR. Said he expects Dave Bolland to sign a 6 or 7 year deal with the Florida Panthers, worth north of 5M a season.''

Absolutely mind blowing if it happens. I really have no words.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Not an exaggeration at all. Lack was terrible after Luongo was dealt. He only had 7 of his final 16 games where his SVP was above .900 in a game.

I guess it's clear then. NHL teams need to have backup goalies. Bringing in a guy who couldn't play at all, according to Torts anyway, was one of the dumbest things Gillis did in his time here.

What'd Lack play 16, 17 or something straight games, including 3 in 4 nights and 4 in 7 nights....as a ****ing rookie. Brilliant coaching, brilliant management :shakehead

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009

Please let this be true. I want NO part of that at all.

arsmaster*

This makes me so happy. Best news of the week.

member 202355

:facepalm:

Tallon.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

That is a contender for the worst deal I have ever seen signed in the NHL, period. Even David Clarkson's contract might be better than that.

arsmaster*

I guess it's clear then. NHL teams need to have backup goalies. Bringing in a guy who couldn't play at all, according to Torts anyway, was one of the dumbest things Gillis did in his time here.

What'd Lack play 16, 17 or something straight games, including 3 in 4 nights and 4 in 7 nights....as a ****ing rookie. Brilliant coaching, brilliant management :shakehead
You really think he couldn't play?

I think Torts was just an idiot who had completely gone off his rocker at the time.

He thought he had all the power. I liked some things about torts but I think he did more foolish things than good. He'll never coach in the NHL again IMO.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013

Yep. Florida still needs to spend to hit the floor though. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad