Canucks Free Agent Frenzy 2014!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bo2shink*

Why would he sign with a team that only is planning to play him 50 games?

Because he's 34 on July 17 and may realize the travel will affect him a bit? 50-57 seems pretty sensible.

7thGuest

Apr 29, 2009
Canada
You guys think Spezza would be a good fit for the Canucks? I know he's not an UFA, but he is available.

Only one year @ 7M/yr left. It gives our prospects more time to mature before taking over. Could be a good bridging solution for us. Plus we can flip him at the trade deadline.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is an exaggeration. He had two terrible games, one of which was clearly nerves on the day after Luongo was traded.

The entire team was falling apart at this point, and it wouldn't be surprising if he tired a bit as he'd missed most of the 12-13 season with injury.

But we'd seen enough before that to know that this is a good NHL goalie.

Signing Miller ticks me off as goaltending was the one easy position to integrate a younger talent who was NHL ready without sacrificing the 'now' component. Instead we're burying our young, promising goalie to go with one of the oldest starters in the NHL ... who isn't even all that good. And blowing the cap space we could have spent upgrading elsewhere. Blech.

Not an exaggeration at all. Lack was terrible after Luongo was dealt. He only had 7 of his final 16 games where his SVP was above .900 in a game.

bo2shink*

You guys think Spezza would be a good fit for the Canucks? I know he's not an UFA, but he is available.

Only one year @ 7M/yr left. It gives our prospects more time to mature before taking over. Could be a good bridging solution for us. Plus we can flip him at the trade deadline.

Ott asked for the #10 from Anaheim, so not sure where the bidding starts. But for us, an overpayment without doubt.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Ottawa wants a 1st round pick in a Spezza trade, we will not be trading our 1st on 2015 for a 30 year old a year away from UFA.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
No. Spezza would be too expensive to add at a reasonable level (at least a 1st round pick). To be honest, I'd rather offer Richards or Ribeiro a one year deal than trade anything for Spezza.

I have a feeling Ribeiro will be a real steal this season, since he was essentially fired for bad attitude. He'll have to sign a prove it contract, then back it up with hard work.

bo2shink*

Not an exaggeration at all. Lack was terrible after Luongo was dealt. He only had 7 of his final 16 games where his SVP was above .900 in a game.

Pretty much everyone in a Canucks jersey was bad, but not sure what Lack people were watching if they thought he was ok. Lu was under .900 in 6 of his last 12 as well. Twas a whole team effort.

I think he gets a bit of a pass for being likable.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Pretty much everyone in a Canucks jersey was bad, but not sure what Lack people were watching if they thought he was ok. Lu was under .900 in 6 of his last 12 as well. Twas a whole team effort.

I think he gets a bit of a pass for being likable.

That's a nice way to aggressively tank for a high pick, and potentially throw off Lack's development.

bo2shink*

That's a nice way to aggressively tank for a high pick, and potentially throw off Lack's development.

Or just realize he wasn't that good to begin with. But we all know that if he doesn't work out people will blame Gillis and management now for something that may just simply never have been.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
There are no teams looking for goalies, aside from maybe Edmonton and Winnipeg, where his actress wife probably wouldn't want to go.

Miller has no leverage, and if he gets $15 million from us, I question our negotiating.

I completely agree, but I think $4 - $4.5 mil is fair value.

Put me in for:

1. Trade Burrows (for picks)
2. Trade Hansen (for pick)
3. Trade Markstrom (for pick or depth prospect)
4. Dump Sestito

Sign:

1. Miller @ 3 years/ $4.25 mil per
2. Thornton @ 2 years/ $1.3 mil per
3. Iginla @ 2 years/ $6.75 mil per
4. Setoguchi @ 2 years/ $2.5 mil per

-------------------------------------

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Zack Kassian ($2.500m)
Devin Setoguchi ($2.500m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.750m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Linden Vey ($0.800m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Shawn Thornton ($1.300m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($3.500m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------

(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,406,944; BONUSES: $858,333
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,593,056

Last edited:

Takumi3000

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Because of where Vancouver's stage is at (rebuild/retool), we might just luck out and have no expensive free agents want to come here. Any chance at acquiring McDavid/Eichel is better than none.

Unfortunately we have too much cap space and somebody will settle to come here for the $$$

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Retweeted by Elliotte Friedman
Uptown Sports ‏@uptownhockey 2m
Uptown client Cory Conacher is now an unrestricted free agent that can sign with any #NHL club starting tomorrow at noon. @BuffaloSabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad