Canucks Free Agent Frenzy 2014!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
That is a contender for the worst deal I have ever seen signed in the NHL, period. Even David Clarkson's contract might be better than that.

Yup. Clarkson at least had production that was rare to back it up (30 goal scorer, and 15/48 goal scorer are decent production). Aside from being the anti-Sedin, Bolland has never been a particularly exceptional player.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
You really think he couldn't play?

I think Torts was just an idiot who had completely gone off his rocker at the time.

He thought he had all the power. I liked some things about torts but I think he did more foolish things than good. He'll never coach in the NHL again IMO.

Agreed, when he did play all the goals that went in on him were massive D breakdowns besides the one through the wickets on the Stastny breakaway (a breakaway). He looked way better than how he did in Florida.

arsmaster*

I'd rather he went to Toronto at 5x5 just to laugh at Nonis some more.

But yeah, unbelievable contract for a player who has been injured or useless for about 75% of the last 4 seasons.

But he had 7 points in 4 playoff games against us 3 seasons ago. He's a stud.

He scored the cup winner which is a nice feather in his cap, but he was relegated to 4th line ice behind Handsus and Kruger. Not really a ringing endorsement.

The other funny part is watching him defend off the puck in the o-zone. His defensive ability is entirely overrated. He's a pest. That's what takes players off their games. Not his ability to defend. Just watch some goals against the leafs last year with him in the ice.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Yep. Florida still needs to spend to hit the floor though. Lol.

5 RFAs will eat a lot of the room under the cap floor, but the other important thing is you don't give term when you're trying to reach the floor, you overpay on short-term. 1 year @ $8M for Bolland would be infinitely better than 7 @ $5M.

I wonder if we can get Tanev's cap down on term?

$3.5 mil for 7 years? Limited NTC of 10 teams?

Why not just get his cap down by paying him what his play should entitle him to (using RFA comparables), which is $3M per year for 3-4 years.

That said, if he was willing to do 7x$3.5M, that would be a worthwhile gamble.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
You really think he couldn't play?

I think Torts was just an idiot who had completely gone off his rocker at the time.

He thought he had all the power. I liked some things about torts but I think he did more foolish things than good. He'll never coach in the NHL again IMO.

At the time I wasn't sure. I mean Markstrom sucked at the nhl level previously, so I was pretty much assuming Torts knew something i didn't. Torts does have to wear most of that fiasco. I never could figure out why he thought it was a good idea to play Lack every single game. I don't remember ever seeing anything quite like that before actually, even hall of fame goalies in their prime don't play 3 in 4 nights or 4 in 7.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
I seriously think so.

Is that a worthwhile endeavour when you're going to be looking to sign free agents this off season? If Bolland goes early tomorrow at 7 years x 5.25 million, doesn't that drive up the price for everyone else available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad