Rumor: Canucks for Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I don't get why people are against the Aquilini's, they have spent to the cap every year, odn't make knee jerk reactions and are improving the fan experience albeit while increasing ticket prices, which is also because the team has been good. And tho it seems they like to have a hand in major decisions it is their right. I wouldn't be surprised if most owners do, whether it is well publicised or not.

There are far worse owners, trust me, I'm a Cleveland Browns fan.

in fact, I think the Aquilinis are are far better than Orca Bay.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I'm guessing whoever spends 750mil to buy a franchise isn't going to have tight purse strings, but you never know.

Well if Aqua is selling high it means the buyer is buying high. If things dont go so well for a variety of reasons (economy, value of the $) then they are not going to want to lose so tightening purse strings would make sense.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Not for the league. They'd love nothing better than to see Vancouver relocated.

Nope.

Like any other Canadian teams, Vancouver is their cash cow.

A good team like the Yotes barely draw any attendance. A ****** team like the Cats have maybe 10-20 fans show up every game. Their tickets can be had for $10 or so.

A good team like the Canucks (1-2 years ago) sold upper bowl tickets at $80~$120, and lower bowl for god knows how much.

Even a ****** Canadian team can sell out at expensive prices.

What the league wants is for Canadian teams to be mediocre but earn them a ton of money while they continue to "sell" hockey in the States and have their ****** American teams leech off the revenue sharing plan.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Am I the only one who thinks this could be a bad thing? Right now we have owners who are willing to spend to the cap. We might get cheapskates next.

Totally agree.

Is it not typical we already have the "new has got to be better"brigade on here. They are the same with coaches and players and yet this club is littered recently with these kind of mistakes.

If we don't know who the new owner(s) are how can he/they be better?

The present owners have done a decent job here and have always spent to the cap. Gillis has mucked things up and the owners are maybe too loyal to him but that is their only fault as far as I can see.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I highly doubt the aquilinis get that asking price. The canucks are due for a big revenue decrease in the coming years unless they somehow become a contender again.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I highly doubt the aquilinis get that asking price. The canucks are due for a big revenue decrease in the coming years unless they somehow become a contender again.

Do people spend 750 mill no a 3 year investment?

Not that I know anything about the negotiating practices of the super rich... Im sure I have similar experience as most here when spending that much cash

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If you follow his twitter, Gary Mason shot down this rumour a couple hours after he started it.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If true, not really surprising:

1. Team value is WAY over-priced atm. Aquaman and Co. know this and are likely seeing if someone is willing to pay the price.
2. Team is on the decline for the next couple years likely leading to the already speculated non-renewal of STH's and decline in revenues.
3. Players are paid in $US and revenues are in $CDN. With the decline of the dollar to .90 plus a possible further decline, could potentially end up the way it was in the 90's.

If not fussed either way if they keep the team or sell them but only as long as whoever owns them actually wants to win, invests in the team properly and spends to the Cap.

If not, this team and organization will fall off a cliff.

Go Whitecaps :sarcasm:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Really wish Gagliardi and Beedie would have bought the team several years ago. Either way, the Aquilini's selling the Canucks would be a great thing for this franchise. Clean house from the top to the bottom.

Why would this be a good thing?

We have owners that will spend every dime necessary to provide this organization what it needs to gain a competitive advantage. I fail to see how new ownership can be anything better than simply a wash.

mavstar

No expectations
Aug 12, 2011
Vancouver
Most of these posters must be too young to remember McCaw and Orca Bay Sports... Why are people hating on the Aquillinis? They've allowed us to spend to the salary cap every season, they've approved multiple buyouts and with their deep pockets they've improved the franchise in every aspect.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Question: Does that $750M valuation for the team include the stadium and surrounding real estate? Just curious. Because with current Vancouver pricing for real estate, maybe that figure has a lot to do with new condos selling for $750-1000/sqft.

I saw this article from a couple years ago: link/. Not sure if there's more recent news related to this development but that sounds like a massive endeavor. Perhaps a desire to get out has less to do with the team's current fortunes and more to do with the Aquillini's sense of which way the real estate market is going to go in Vancouver? Just a thought.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Why would this be a good thing?

We have owners that will spend every dime necessary to provide this organization what it needs to gain a competitive advantage. I fail to see how new ownership can be anything better than simply a wash.

There are things about the Aquilinis that I won't get into on here. All I'll say is I would be very happy if/when they sell the team.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Most of these posters must be too young to remember McCaw and Orca Bay Sports... Why are people hating on the Aquillinis? They've allowed us to spend to the salary cap every season, they've approved multiple buyouts and with their deep pockets they've improved the franchise in every aspect.

Yea I agree. McCaw was terrible. The only issue I have with Aqua-man is that he meddles too much in the GM's duties.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Question: Does that $750M valuation for the team include the stadium and surrounding real estate? Just curious. Because with current Vancouver pricing for real estate, maybe that figure has a lot to do with new condos selling for $750-1000/sqft.

I saw this article from a couple years ago: link/. Not sure if there's more recent news related to this development but that sounds like a massive endeavor. Perhaps a desire to get out has less to do with the team's current fortunes and more to do with the Aquillini's sense of which way the real estate market is going to go in Vancouver? Just a thought.

It's hard to say. They're developers with set plans for the area, so I'd imagine they'd keep any developable properties. I believe they've had negotiations with the city for the properties they own in the area with regards to the demolition of the Georgia Viaduct and the new park.

All in all, I'd guess this is just uninformed speculation. They're continuing to build revenue sources tied to Rogers arena, with taking over food services and building a new group to handle it (purchasing the Toptable Restaurant Group etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad