Rumor: Canucks for Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
If I buy them, do i get a couple of the chicks in yoga pants who shovel the snow during TV timeouts?

I kid...I kid....

I hope the Canucks are bought by Paul Allen.

He already owns the Portland Trailblazers and the Seattle Seahawks (and part of the Sounders).

This would make him the big fish in North American sports.

Last edited:

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Why don't we all pool our money together and buy the team. We can run it from the forum. If you think discussions are already hot enough wait until it's for real! Y2K would overpower us to trade for Luongo!

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If I buy them, do i get a couple of the chicks in yoga pants who shovel the snow during TV timeouts?

I kid...I kid....

I hope the Canucks are bought by Paul Allen.

He already owns the Portland Trailblazers and the Seattle Seahawks (and part of the Sounders).

This would make him the big fish in North American sports.

Paul Allen would be terrific.

He's a brilliant guy.

Not sure how complicated American ownership in Canada would be though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all Canadian teams are owned by Canadian entities?

Defeatist*

Yeah I haven't minded the aquas one bit as they've spent to the cap each year. Their meddling is a concern, but as least they're not cheap. Let's kickstarter this so we can raise 750m. :sarcasm:

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver
Can't wait until all the Canadian Hockey teams are owned by Telecoms

Collusion v.2 incoming

Aquilinis are selling high, smart of them.

This is good news for Canucks fans. Don't care if it's a mega corporation that buys the team, anything is better than our current ownership.

Ehhhhh, let's not say things we can't take back. Katz, Wang, MLSE... there is much worse out there.

Yes, telecoms, who like to wring every penny of profit out of their assets as possible.....fun stuff.

John Bender*

Paul Allen would be terrific.

He's a brilliant guy.

Not sure how complicated American ownership in Canada would be though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all Canadian teams are owned by Canadian entities?

If Paul Allen has any interest in an NHL team, it would be to bring one to Seattle, I would think.

If ownership does change, Gilly can kiss his ass goodbye.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I suspect there would be a good chance that it might be some Asian billionaire.

Doubt it.

Unless they were born and raised in North America, most Asian billionaires are unfamiliar with these sports franchise model.

Even then, most Asians don't know a thing about hockey because most Asian countries don't have winter sports (or winter, for that matter).

And if I'm Paul Allen, I wouldn't buy this franchise for $750mn. The cap is going up and the Canucks are about to go into a drought. Makes little sense.

John Bender*

Doubt it.

Unless they were born and raised in North America, most Asian billionaires are unfamiliar with these sports franchise model.

Even then, most Asians don't know a thing about hockey because most Asian countries don't have winter sports (or winter, for that matter).

And if I'm Paul Allen, I wouldn't buy this franchise for $750mn. The cap is going up and the Canucks are about to go into a drought. Makes little sense.

Asians make up a huge portion of the Canuck fanbase.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Asians make up a huge portion of the Canuck fanbase.

And the majority of the Asian billionaires made their money in Asia. Those Asians aren't familiar with this sport.

Until the older generation kick the bucket and their wealth gets inherited by their kids (who were probably sent to North America at an early age), it's unlikely you'll see many Asian owners.

Charles Wang is one of the few exceptions - he got rich real early, and his company is a Fortune 500 company in the States.

Most of the "Asians" you refer to in Vancouver are immigrants who mostly settled between 1996~now.

Having lived in Richmond for 16 years, I can tell you people with parents who care about hockey are mostly middle-class folks. All the super-rich families have one or both of their parents working in Asia. Even then, those kids eventually move back to work for their family's company.

Asian billionaires with "hockey roots" are rare. For every Charles Wang, Steven Chen (Youtube) and Jerry Yang (Yahoo!), there's 20-30 Jack Ma (Alibaba), Terry Kuo (Foxconn), and Wang Jianlin (Wanda).

Yes, you may not recognize those three latter brands because they're all based in Asia.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I'm having a hard time understanding a $750m valuation.

Sure, the time is wildy profitable, but THAT profitable? I find it hard to believe.

If you look around the league, it's usually non-corporate entity ownership that gets better results.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Aquilinis are good owners for the most part. Focused on providing a solid environment for the players while letting the team play at the cap. Dont like that theyve been trying to run the show themselves from behind the scenes though.

Paul Allen is a pipe dream but I wouldnt be surprised to see him involved in a Seattle NHL team in the next couple years

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Sure, the time is wildy profitable, but THAT profitable? I find it hard to believe.

If you look around the league, it's usually non-corporate entity ownership that gets better results.

I don't think $750m is too far fetched. That figure also includes the value of the arena, buildings, and land.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

These figures get inflated by forbes and others based off question numbers and well the fact owners overpay for sports teams based on a combination of fandom and team value increases more than revenue/profit.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
not a fan of the generalising of probably the most diverse continent on earth and its people...

Where was there any kind of generalization?

Typically, a valuation looks at future profits (before taxes and depreciation) as the pricing variable. In most cases, you look at a projected earnings and multiple it by a factor that varies among industries.

It's tough to value sports organizations because they don't release their financials.

But if they value the Canucks at $750mn, my guess is their total earnings before taxes and depreciation for the last 6~7 years is between $90mn~$120mn. After taxes and depreciation you're probably looking at $30mn~$50mn, which is a pretty fair estimate for a successful franchise.

Here's an interesting fact, Charles Wang is the owner of CA Technologies, and their net income after taxes in 2013 is $955mn. So these hockey franchises are literally peanuts compared to listed corporations in the States.

The Aquilinis probably pocketed a good $150~200mn through the Gillis era (2008-2014). Solid return on investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad