Rumor: Canucks for Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
nikon sports biz
‏@wlk92
@garymasonglobe on @TEAM1040 said a rumour is percolating that Aqualini is shopping the #Canucks #thefamily paid $250mil now worth $750mil

J
‏@CrownRoyal22
Gary Mason was suggesting #thefamily might look to sell the franchise... FA getting his toy taken way? Would be a good #sellhigh though.

Wow. This is some pretty interesting stuff if true.

i've been saying on these boards for a bit now that the best thing to happen would be getting new owners. This would be great. I would guess that Bell would be interested.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
that's a steep price, can't be too many local buyers with that kind of cash.

Would really prefer to keep the team in the hands of local ownership either way, I remember how awful the Orca Bay days were.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Would really prefer to keep the team in the hands of local ownership either way, I remember how awful the Orca Bay days were.

Really wish Gagliardi and Beedie would have bought the team several years ago. Either way, the Aquilini's selling the Canucks would be a great thing for this franchise. Clean house from the top to the bottom.

May 31, 2006
Aquilinis are selling high, smart of them.

This is good news for Canucks fans. Don't care if it's a mega corporation that buys the team, anything is better than our current ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Aquilinis are selling high, smart of them.

This is good news for Canucks fans. Don't care if it's a mega corporation that buys the team, anything is better than our current ownership.

Ehhhhh, let's not say things we can't take back. Katz, Wang, MLSE... there is much worse out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks this could be a bad thing? Right now we have owners who are willing to spend to the cap. We might get cheapskates next.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I'd personally pass on local ownership. Griffiths and Aquilni don't exactly exude confidence in how they handled the franchise.

Don't need someone micro managing

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Am I the only one who thinks this could be a bad thing? Right now we have owners who are willing to spend to the cap. We might get cheapskates next.

I'm guessing whoever spends 750mil to buy a franchise isn't going to have tight purse strings, but you never know.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I have no issues with the Aquillini's. They aren't my favourite people in the world, but short of landing a Mark Cuban type of owner, I think we have it pretty good.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It's hardly surprising.

I always thought they weren't in it for the long game. And right now, the Canucks are a house of cards on the verge of potentially sucking hard for a few years. If they were a contender for 2-3 more years you wouldn't see stuff like this floating around the rumour mill.

As much as I complained about the Aquilinis, I'm leery of poor ownership. Watching the NBA, I've the team I root for trade their picks for cash considerations (yes, that's actually legal in the NBA), only to see those two picks turn out to be two all-stars.

But at a price tag of $750mn, you'd have to think it'll flush out the crappy and cash poor candidates. If this franchise does go for sale, I hope a Mark Cuban type billionaire ($2bn+ networth) is in on this auction.

Ventana*

I have no issues with the Aquillini's. They aren't my favourite people in the world, but short of landing a Mark Cuban type of owner, I think we have it pretty good.

Mark Cuban would be amazing. Don't think he'd be interested in 750 mil for a hockey franchise though, but I could be wrong.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Seriously, what's with the hate for the Aquilinis? They've done nothing but spend to the cap and give the team the necessary resources to be a contender. I can understand that if the rumours that he's been a meddler in the hockey operations, fine, but that hasn't had much to do with the current state of the organization. Would the future be that much brighter right now if we had John Stevens instead of Torts? I doubt it.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Anyone willing to spend upwards of $750 mil would have to be a good owner.

Would probably be a good move from a financial aspect for the Acquilini's to sell now, probably take a long time for this franchise to increase much more in value than it has since they bought it

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Hey guys we should all buy the Canucks together and create HF polls when making major decisions.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Would be a very smart business move for them considering some tough seasons ahead.

Willting*

I want some middle eastern oil baron to own the team. >:)

Can't wait to hear people complain then.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Hey guys we should all buy the Canucks together and create HF polls when making major decisions.

I made a thread about this on the main board a while ago, but that was for purchasing a $200-250 million dollar team.... $750+ is going to be difficult to do hahaha

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
almost no playoff revenue for three straight years has to hurt

you do wonder how much exponentially higher the value of sports franchises can go up until you hit a leveling off point...especially for a league like the nhl that doesn't have a whole lot of new revenue opportunities in the next 5-10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad