Rumor: Canucks for Sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yea I agree. McCaw was terrible. The only issue I have with Aqua-man is that he meddles too much in the GM's duties.

McCaw was willing to spend bundles at first. But when that went to ****, he just tried to recoup his investment.

cooker24

May 7, 2002
Visit site
There are things about the Aquilinis that I won't get into on here. All I'll say is I would be very happy if/when they sell the team.

I don't always agree with y2k, but this should be everyone's opinion on this board and across the fan base. I was excited seeing this thread title and it would be the best news us fans could ever receive. Please be true! Please be true!

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
@garymasonglobe: Well, #Canucks fans I can kill rumour moving in some Van biz circles that Aquilinis considering selling. Talk to Francesco who says never

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
the nucks are not worth 750mill.. Not even close--

I do know a few things and the arena and other contracts are the key. Nucks alone--nowhere near 750mill

Zammer

Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City
It's hard to say. They're developers with set plans for the area, so I'd imagine they'd keep any developable properties. I believe they've had negotiations with the city for the properties they own in the area with regards to the demolition of the Georgia Viaduct and the new park.

All in all, I'd guess this is just uninformed speculation. They're continuing to build revenue sources tied to Rogers arena, with taking over food services and building a new group to handle it (purchasing the Toptable Restaurant Group etc).

Not to mention the Utica Comets. Would the sale of the farm team be included with a purchase of the Canucks?

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
ROTFL!!!!! Canucks aren't worth anywhere near close to $750 million.

That Forbes valuation was done 6 months ago. Since then, the Canucks have missed the playoffs, season ticket renewals are WAYYYY down, and the Canadian dollar has plunged!!!!

This team is maybe worth $400 million if that.

He can't "SELL HIGH" now... too late...

If he had sold at the end of the 2011 season (after nucks lost in Game 7), it would have been selling high.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

That Forbes valuation was done 6 months ago. Since then, the Canucks have missed the playoffs, season ticket renewals are WAYYYY down, and the Canadian dollar has plunged!!!!

If he had sold at the end of the 2011 season (after nucks lost in Game 7), it would have been selling high.

How did you go about conducting that estimate? A nearly 50% drop in value in six months seems extremely far fetched.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Wait, you think a franchise, building and most importantly land valuation swings $350 million because of a couple crappy hockey seasons? :facepalm:

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
How did you go about conducting that estimate? A nearly 50% drop in value in six months seems extremely far fetched.

Why bother with facts when you have opinions and uneducated estimates? If that was the case the Oilers, Flames and Ottawa would be worth 100M a piece at most considering all the bad seasons they've had the last 8-10 years (save the odd playoff appearance sprinkled in as a one off)

Sleeper

Aug 10, 2007
I get the frustration with the alleged hockey ops meddling this past year, but some of you need some perspective. On the grand scale of sports owners, the Aquillini's don't come close to classification as 'bad' owners. They pump a lot of money back into the franchise, whether its spending to the cap, maintaining/improving Rogers Arena, or providing players with top-notch resources/facilities. That's not a given, folks. Owners don't have to do that, and often, they don't.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
If Aquilini truly wants to see the Canucks get back in contention, he needs to let some control go. I have no problem with him authorizing contracts to players, but he can't be making decisions on hockey personnel. The Tortorella hiring has his fingerprints all over it and if he doesn't want to own that, he needs to let whoever the GM is do their job without interference.

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver
I get the frustration with the alleged hockey ops meddling this past year, but some of you need some perspective. On the grand scale of sports owners, the Aquillini's don't come close to classification as 'bad' owners. They pump a lot of money back into the franchise, whether its spending to the cap, maintaining/improving Rogers Arena, or providing players with top-notch resources/facilities. That's not a given, folks. Owners don't have to do that, and often, they don't.

I tend to agree with this and I think the Aquilinis are a big improvement over the previous ownership. If the rumours about the owners meddling and getting too involved in hockey operations are true though, that absolutely needs to change.

Whatever your opinion on Mike Gillis (and I'm not totally sure where I stand at this point), he has his own vision for this team and for him to succeed with it, he needs to be able to make decisions and carry out that vision without interference from anyone else. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work, but it's almost certainly not going to work if you've got a bunch of people pulling in different directions.

If the owners don't agree with his vision or don't think he's the right guy to manage this team, then they need to find someone else... but whoever they decide to go with, they need to make that decision and then step back and let the GM do his thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad