Not open for further replies.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
My ideal line-up for tomorrow would be:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Prust - McCann - Dorsett

And yes, the 2/3 lines are interchangeable (not in the mood for a debate of Horvat not being on the 2nd line.. take your pick who cares)

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I won't be as focused on the Canucks when the Jays are playing post season baseball

Baseball just so boring I tried to get into it I just can't. The amount of actual action in a baseball game is 18 minutes..... You watch for 3 hours to watch 18 minutes of plays

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Sedin Sedin Burrows (1)
Sven Bo Jake (2)
Prust Sutter Dorsett (3)
Hansen McCann Vrbata (2)

1-2-3-4 Willie

Sedins with Burrows makes the most sense because they still play very well together. If not Burrows, then absolutely Vrbata. I think it was the Sedin's first exhibition game, but they weren't doing anything of note until they had a couple of shifts with Burrows, and you could feel their excitement for the game. Passes started to connect and they were all over the ice. I think Burrows has looked re-invigorated this preseason and it would be good to get some stability in games right off the bat.

Personally, I think the "fourth line" would just kill it going out against any lower lines. They have the speed and finesse not to get trucked and they'd play most of their time on offense anyway. I think Vrbata would have more chemistry with McCann than he would with Bo. Mostly just a gut feeling, but there seems to be a better mix of styles with those three. Hansen is great at retrieving pucks and passes well. Vrbata loves to shoot and McCann is great at setting up plays and finishing. If McCann is up, I'd really like to see him get a bunch of games with Vrbata.

The Sutter line is pretty self explanatory. I suspect Higgins would quickly replace Prust on that line and it becomes a pretty solid minute eating defensive unit. Plays to Sutters game.

Virtanen creates a lot more space on the ice than Vrbata for Sven and Bo to work. That line just had that synchronicity that shows up between players every so often. Certainly one would expect Radim to man the wing with them, but it just didn't seem to work all that well. It wasn't bad or anything, it just seemed like Sven looked more limited and Bo was doing all the leg work retrieving the puck. With Virtanen there, you've got Jake doing a lot of puck retrieval, which allows Bo to organize things on the ice the way he'd like. Sven seems to have a good eye to recognizing his linemates strengths and getting the puck to them in good areas of the ice.

Edler Tanev
Hutton Bartkowski
Hamhuis Sbisa

Miller/Markstrom

Obviously some of these comments are from very limited viewing, so their accuracy/value may be limited. etc. I'm also pretty confident we'll see none of these players together opening night. lol.

I always want the team to win, and nothing would make me happier than to see the team succeed, but if they don't do well this year, it's not going to hurt like it has in the past decade.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Sedin Sedin Burrows (1)
Sven Bo Jake (2)
Prust Sutter Dorsett (3)
Hansen McCann Vrbata (2)

Vrbata isn't going to play with a rookie at centre and a RW on the LW. That would be really bad for Vrbata. He scored 31 goals last year and is a UFA next year, he would be pissed off big time. From the sounds of it, Vrbata is the most diva player on the team. He either wants to play with the Sedins or Horvat, and anyone else he would be mad.

I agree that Sutter could be on the Prust/Dorsett line though.

It's boggled my mind how people, from day 1, have considered Prust/Dorsett to be automatic 4th line guys. In my mind, this team has no 4th line. It's got a 1st line and 3 3rd lines. Could see something like:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Prust - Sutter - Dorsett
Burrows - McCann - Virtanen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think Higgins would be a great wing partner for McCann when he's healthy

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Vrbata isn't going to play with a rookie at centre and a RW on the LW. That would be really bad for Vrbata. He scored 31 goals last year and is a UFA next year, he would be pissed off big time. From the sounds of it, Vrbata is the most diva player on the team. He either wants to play with the Sedins or Horvat, and anyone else he would be mad.

I agree that Sutter could be on the Prust/Dorsett line though.

It's boggled my mind how people, from day 1, have considered Prust/Dorsett to be automatic 4th line guys. In my mind, this team has no 4th line. It's got a 1st line and 3 3rd lines. Could see something like:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Prust - Sutter - Dorsett
Burrows - McCann - Virtanen

Hansen plays both wings. I also wrote that I don't think we'll see these lines ... I just posted what I'd like to see, and why I'd like to them. I have no idea what Willie will do with this roster because I can't understand how he approaches the game. At times I get it, but generally the guy is a freaking mystery.

As for Vrbata, I said if they're not playing Burrows with the Sedins, that's where he slots in. Frankly, Vrbata has been extremely underwhelming and I think his nose is already out of joint. As others have posted, he just doesn't play all that well with the Sedins and I've not seen a ton of chemistry with Horvat and Sven and he certainly can't work with Sutter.

It makes no sense to play Hansen with the Sedins before Burrows. Hansen with McCann and Virtanen would be worth a look.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Nice that we open with 2 vs CAL. They really exposed our back end in the playoffs. One thing that can't be disputed, with the additions of Sbisa, Bart and Hutton, our blueline can skate. I know, I know, the sux and all that. But who is the worst skating dman in our top 7, Edler? Probably the biggest key to the season imo, how does this blueline hold up. I'm excited to find out.

Burrows-McCann-Vrbata...I like the looks of that. Would playing with Burrows suffice for Vrbata? I don't know if McCann is ready physically for a full NHL season, but he thinks the game at this level all ready. That trio on paper could really click.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Nice that we open with 2 vs CAL. They really exposed our back end in the playoffs. One thing that can't be disputed, with the additions of Sbisa, Bart and Hutton, our blueline can skate. I know, I know, the sux and all that. But who is the worst skating dman in our top 7, Edler? Probably the biggest key to the season imo, how does this blueline hold up. I'm excited to find out.

Burrows-McCann-Vrbata...I like the looks of that. Would playing with Burrows suffice for Vrbata? I don't know if McCann is ready physically for a full NHL season, but he thinks the game at this level all ready. That trio on paper could really click.

Will be exposed again unless Willie learns how to manage icetimes properly in the post-season. What works great in the regular season - doesn't automatically work for the playoffs.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Sedin Sedin Vrbata
Baertschi Horvat Virtanen
Burrows McCann Hansen
Dorsett Sutter Prust

This is what I want to see the most. It's the first game of the year and it would be nice to give Baertschi Horvat Virtanen another look. It's a lot of 1st/2nd year players but seeing a kid line again would be great. I also really want to see McCann between Burrows and Hansen, I think they would excel. Burrows and Hansen might be the 2 best defensive guys on the team, but they can also chip in offensively and would be great for McCann. Also gives him some freedom to try some things out since he's been playing quite confident, Burrows and Hansen are great linemates you cover your ass when you **** up. If McCann doesn't look good there you can always put Sutter between them and have a very good defensive line, although I'm not sure how well Sutter could cycle the puck with those two.

To be honest, if for some reason McCann is amazing or Horvat isn't playing great, Burrows Horvat Hansen would be an amazing line. Great defensively and could no doubt cycle for days and keep possession for their whole shift and chip in a few goals. Plus I love how Hansen and Burrows like to get under the skin of who they line up against, I saw Horvat chirping last series against Calgary and I would like to see more of it.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
I still can't get over Sbisa's turnover in game 6 which lead directly to Calgary's first goal and completely shifted the momentum.

Canucks wouldn't have gotten far anyways but of all people it had to be Sbisa which makes so much sense.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
What I expect the lineups will be:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Dorsett - Sutter - Virtanen
Prust - McCann - Hansen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

The issue wasn't mobility. The fact that you list Sbisa as an add when he was the one who got exposed the worst says a lot.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I still can't get over Sbisa's turnover in game 6 which lead directly to Calgary's first goal and completely shifted the momentum.

Canucks wouldn't have gotten far anyways but of all people it had to be Sbisa which makes so much sense.

Oh it'll take a ****in Norris or two before I can even consider forgiving Sbisa for his performance in that series. How is it possible for one professional athlete to have so little composure and so much playing time? Anyways, with Bieksa gone we might see a good partner for Sbisa so that his deficiencies can be mitigated.

I expect tomorrow to be a Miller-sized spaghetti festival, possibly salvaged by the Sedins in overtime. 5-4 Calgary or Vancouver. Oh my god I'm so excited for hockey to be back.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The issue wasn't mobility. The fact that you list Sbisa as an add when he was the one who got exposed the worst says a lot.

When Benning took over, absolutely the mobility of our blueline was an issue. It's not any more. Whether that results in a better overall unit or not, we're about to find out.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
When Benning took over, absolutely the mobility of our blueline was an issue. It's not any more. Whether that results in a better overall unit or not, we're about to find out.

Well our blueline got more mobile in the end IMO

It also got worse overall.

But, if Hutton, Subban, Pedan pan out then we do have a very mobile defense.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

That and thus far Bartkowski seems to use his skating ability to get quickly out of position. Mobility is great if there are other tools to go along with it such as knowing when to use it and knowing how to pass. Hutton was effective in the preseason not because he was mobile but because he made the right choices for his tool set which happened to include the ability to skate with the puck at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad