Confirmed with Link: Canucks Fire Mike Gillis - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It went to the rich people so they can spend exorbitant sums of money on sporting events.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
This point is always made but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Billionaire type asset prices (inner city real estate, sports teams ect) all over the world have been reflated to unseen levels thanks to the biggest monetary expansion by central banks in history. The money has to go somewhere.

Screen-shot-2011-10-21-at-12.43.36.png

Gillis took over, right in the depths of the financial crisis before the money printing spree. This has nothing to do with him and everything to do with monetary policy.

i guess the canucks should be thankful messier played when he did instead of banking more money when the value skyrocketed in the years after he left.

yay monetary policy!

LolClarkson*

It went to the rich people so they can spend exorbitant sums of money on sporting events.

It goes from the top down mainly. The big banks get recapitalized and interests rates are suppressed. The first recipients of this money are the billionaires credit facilities. You are correct in that some money goes from the bottom up as other businesses get a shot of the monetary heroin and they spend it on advertising and corporate seats.

When the inevitable crash comes, or even the cyclical downturn we get every 4 or 5 years and the value of the franchise comes down again, I doubt people will pin it all on Trevor Linden.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The Canucks franchise stays put. For another 100 years anyway.

Maybe but it's a fickle and fairweather fan base. No not us who discuss it day in and day out on the boards but the fan base as a whole. One season of missed playoffs and season ticket renewals plummet. Yes a couple of disappointing playoffs as well but there are several fan bases in the league that would kill for a disppointing playoff. The canucks fan base jumps off the band wagon at the first sign of trouble. Ask yourself this....if this team was like the Oilers who after going to a cup final proceeded to be absolutely dreadful for years and years and years would they be selling tickets? The answer I very much think is no. Despite more money in the city, more people in the area etc. Yet for all their faults Oiler fans keep on showing up.

Tleve

Dec 26, 2005
One season of missed playoffs and season ticket renewals plummet. Yes a couple of disappointing playoffs as well but there are several fan bases in the league that would kill for a disppointing playoff.

I gave up my season's tickets this year - but it wasn't because I am a fairweather fan. I am still a huge Canucks fan but I was bored at the arena. I found the hockey was sometimes boring but much worse than that, the fans were super boring. I was having more fun watching the games at home than I was at the rink, so I decided to stop forking over the exorbitant amounts of money that tickets, parking and gas (I live in Abbotsford) cost and enjoy the game from the comfort of my own home.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I gave up my season's tickets this year - but it wasn't because I am a fairweather fan. I am still a huge Canucks fan but I was bored at the arena. I found the hockey was sometimes boring but much worse than that, the fans were super boring. I was having more fun watching the games at home than I was at the rink, so I decided to stop forking over the exorbitant amounts of money that tickets, parking and gas (I live in Abbotsford) cost and enjoy the game from the comfort of my own home.

speaking as a former attendee of every single game, it does get boring.

non-season ticket holders sometimes forget that when a person goes to every single game, they're subjected to the same pre-game ritual, same songs, same intro blah blah blah. the only thing that changes is the opponent and the game itself.

this might partially explain why so many STH's, especially in the lower bowl, show up right at puck drop or a couple minutes into the game...it's so they aren't subjected to the sameness of the game day presentation. i know i hated the routineness of it all, knowing exactly what is coming next etc.

going to one or two games a year is way better, or even a 10 game pack is awesome because the novelty doesn't wear off.

my .02 cents

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
hah, the complaint about routine is totally legit. Dad had half-seasons tickets and I just showed up just before hockey started.

some insist there is a moral imperative for me to be in the stands so they can feel good about a full arena on tv. 'eff that.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
The Canucks franchise stays put. For another 100 years anyway.
Burke might've been exaggerating; but it was pretty bleak in the later part of the 1990s - and this was during the time when Pavel Bure was still here. So don't be so sure of that - there isn't anybody on the team that was electrifying as Bure on the team - might never will be again.

I hung around but many others won't.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
hah, the complaint about routine is totally legit. Dad had half-seasons tickets and I just showed up just before hockey started.

some insist there is a moral imperative for me to be in the stands so they can feel good about a full arena on tv. 'eff that.

it's true.

part of the luxury of being a STH is showing up and leaving whenever the eff you want...cuz there will just be another game tomorrow or the next night anyways.

it's like a never-ending house party that you can drop in and out of at your convenience. a very expensive house party lol

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
it's true.

part of the luxury of being a STH is showing up and leaving whenever the eff you want...cuz there will just be another game tomorrow or the next night anyways.

it's like a never-ending house party that you can drop in and out of at your convenience. a very expensive house party lol

Fair enough.

How come other arenas go ******* night in and night out?

LolClarkson*

Burke might've been exaggerating; but it was pretty bleak in the later part of the 1990s - and this was during the time when Pavel Bure was still here. So don't be so sure of that - there isn't anybody on the team that was electrifying as Bure on the team - might never will be again.

That was in the days where the Canadian dollar was 60 cents. All franchises in Canada where in trouble. The Oilers were closer to leaving Edmonton then any other. Now anything below par is considered low for the Canadian dollar

arsmaster*

Fair enough.

How come other arenas go ******* night in and night out?

I would say the other arenas that go crazy every night are in the states, where cheering and screaming during the play happens more often in their regular sporting viewings (NFL, NBA, NCAA football etc).

I know when I go to games (which is not very often) that I'm so intent on watching everything that is going on that I very rarely cheer or chant or whatever.....I cheer when they score, a yell "wooo" when there is a big hit, and I yell at the ref most of the game.

I think the price point for tickets in vancouver lead to people trying to get the most out of their experience, by intently watching the intricacies of the NHL game that they don't get to witness when watching their local junior team or minor hockey.

When it costs me $700 just for the tickets (won't include travel and lodging costs) to watch with my family, I want to give my undivided attention to the action on the ice, and not the excitement in the stands.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I am not a loud person anyways and probably part of the problem but when you sit in the lower bowl your neighbours more resemble the kind of people you'd meet at an opera than a hockey game.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
That was in the days where the Canadian dollar was 60 cents. All franchises in Canada where in trouble. The Oilers were closer to leaving Edmonton then any other. Now anything below par is considered low for the Canadian dollar

"All" except the Leafs and the Habs. Those two are recession proof.

Canucks were never in danger of leaving during the mid-70s (during a pretty noticeable recession) despite questionable ownership/managment. They had a couple .500 seasons then to give the faithful some area of hope. The Blizzard (WHL) weren't so lucky.

And who knows where the Canadian dollar goes in the future.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
I would say the other arenas that go crazy every night are in the states, where cheering and screaming during the play happens more often in their regular sporting viewings (NFL, NBA, NCAA football etc).

I know when I go to games (which is not very often) that I'm so intent on watching everything that is going on that I very rarely cheer or chant or whatever.....I cheer when they score, a yell "wooo" when there is a big hit, and I yell at the ref most of the game.

I think the price point for tickets in vancouver lead to people trying to get the most out of their experience, but intently watching the intricacies of the NHL game that they don't get to witness when watching their local junior team or minor hockey.

When it costs me $700 just for the tickets (won't include travel and lodging costs) to watch with my family, I want to give my undivided attention to the action on the ice, and not the excitement in the stands.

i agree with this 100%.

my frame of reference isn't huge, but i've been to games in nashville, florida, chicago, LA, buffalo, montreal and vancouver.

the best combo of knowledgeable fans and loud crowd noise for my small sample size was in montreal, then buffalo, then chicago (sunday afternoon game so i cut them slack for being kinda quiet and hungover lol)

vancouver is obviously high on the list for knowledgeable fans but the crowd noise and ambience just isn't there on most nights, imo. but vancouver fans know how to make noise in the playoffs...it can be loud with towel power and stuff.

anyway, sorry if thread is being hijacked.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary

Don't fool yourself, this could happen again.. it's considered unlikely but not impossible

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Well the Leafs can be like the Washington Generals for the next 100 years and they'll still sell out every night. If the Canucks have a few more seasons (in a row) like this past year; they might be located in another city....

Wut? I'll win the lottery twice before the Canucks get moved. Bad seasons or not.

LolClarkson*

"All" except the Leafs and the Habs. Those two are recession proof.

Canucks were never in danger of leaving during the mid-70s (during a pretty noticeable recession) despite questionable ownership/managment. They had a couple .500 seasons then to give the faithful some area of hope. The Blizzard (WHL) weren't so lucky.

And who knows where the Canadian dollar goes in the future.
The new floor on the Canadian dollar is a lot higher then it was. But yeah , now that the Canadian debt bubble has gone unchecked for so long, who knows

Wetcoaster

"To move this team takes one phone call. Twenty-five cents and a pay phone to move this team. This is high stakes poker folks and it's about the future of this city and this province." ~ And you can always take Brian Burke at his word - or not.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
You're out to lunch.

Dont get me wrong, if Linden was named coach or GM I would be terrified. But team president isnt all that demanding a role comparatively speaking.

Honestly, I dont even like our ownership; they tend to be fairly unpleasant individuals from what I have heard.

However, that doesnt mean I feel it necessary to adopt whatever narrative in order to convince myself they are deluded, corrupt and incapable of making intelligent decisions. I cant draw any conclusions either way, but even you must admit that hiring a guy with questionable credentials like Gillis panned out fairly well.

I have no problem admitting that was a good decision (at least for a while, before he started to freak out and try to take the team in a dozen different directions at once, and I will add that I felt the eventual decision to part ways with Gillis was rather academic)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'd say the loss broke the fanbase, not Gillis. We dominated the league with a veteran core and a mostly empty prospect cupboard, but fell one game short of the prize. From that point on nothing anyone could do would have prevented us from falling behind the younger up and coming teams, we were going to slide back a bit and it would take a few years to correct. Yet expectations were set to the highest level and fans started turning on him the moment he could no longer poop unicorns.

Agreed.

The trades and signings Gillis made weren't bad ones at the time. The majority of them just didn't work out. (Ballard, Booth, Garrison, Pahlsson, Roy,) I think the decisions that hurt the most were the non-signings. (Torres, Ehrhoff, Salo,) Torres was a wrecking ball who almost scored 20 for us that year. While Ehrhoff and Salo QB'd the best PP in the league. Yet they were deemed expendable for Panther cast offs Ballard and Garrison. And to top it all off. Gillis gives two All star goalies away for third liner (Mathias) a back up goalie and a OHL all star.

I have no idea how Garrison is a move that didn't work out, considering he led the team D in scoring... :facepalm:

He also completely mishandled the goalie situation, he extended the Sedins to overpaid contracts long-term, and he didn't really add youth to the lineup like he had claimed he would all summer. Gillis's tenure here is a tale of night and day. Pre-June 15, 2011 he could seemingly do no wrong. Post-June 15, 2011 he could seemingly do no right. This team has been on a downward spiral for so long, and I don't think an additional $4M of cap space to spend this summer so Gillis could go out and sign Mike Cammalleri to add to this rotted core would really change a whole lot. Fans got sick of this team, and felt disconnected. I don't blame them. This team was being driven into the ******* by Gillis and a change was desperately needed!

Disagree with pretty much everything here, but particularly the bolded. Nothing is ever so black and white like you're making it seem.

bo2shink*

"To move this team takes one phone call. Twenty-five cents and a pay phone to move this team. This is high stakes poker folks and it's about the future of this city and this province." ~ And you can always take Brian Burke at his word - or not.

Hey Burkie, good luck finding a phone booth that works anywhere near gate 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad