Confirmed with Link: Canucks Fire Mike Gillis - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
I love the people saying that Gillis shouldn't be faulted because he made it to the SCF final and only missed the playoffs once...

Especially since the same people wanted AV gone after 5 straight playoffs including an SCF.

BTW, keep in mind that Aquilini has hockey people advising him, namely former Canuck Geoff Courtnall who recommended his ex-agent Gillis.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
I love the people saying that Gillis shouldn't be faulted because he made it to the SCF final and only missed the playoffs once...

Especially since the same people wanted AV gone after 5 straight playoffs including an SCF.

BTW, keep in mind that Aquilini has hockey people advising him, namely former Canuck Geoff Courtnall who recommended his ex-agent Gillis.

This I did not know. who else is in his ear sitting on his shoulder?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
gillis basically admitted that the organization as a whole lost the plot in his recent radio interview, just a matter of finding out in the next few days/weeks/months how much of a driver ownership was in that change of direction

bo2shink*

I think the AV issue was it was time. He didn't seem able to adapt and that his style had been played out, here.

Haka

Aug 14, 2007
I question the rational behind this decision. I'm not saying this is the wrong decision, but I wonder what lead the owners to come to it. Gillis presided over the most successful era in Canucks history, and while he has had some misses, his pluses are strong also. Especially if the rumors of misfires such as the Luongo deal, and subsequent fiasco, were pushed by ownership.

His mantra he explained in his latest interview gave me hope that we had a progressive front office and weren't a bunch of oldschool dolts, who still rattle off things like needing "character" and "toughness" which is essentially impossible to quantify, like other front offices such as the Leafs and Oilers. When he said we needed to get back to puck moving, skill etc. I was like YES. Finally! When Torts was hired I thought he would embrace the new NHL, analytics, and all the data which has been proved time and time again by successful teams. Instead it was all empty promises and he presided over career worsts across the board. I have been extremely underwhelmed with Torts and I believe he is the prime reason our team has faltered this season. Depth and injuries are factors too. But there is no reason why every single player has declined this year except because of the systems he has put in place. He is out of touch. His style of dump and chase, with personnel that aren't even suited for it, is outdated. All the best teams keep possession and have great transition games, something that we were legends for in years past.

This move seriously worries me as a Canucks fan not necessarily because of Gillis leaving, but because of what they will do next. If they turn into the nepotistic organization that others have fallen into, and start hiring sentimental hires like Linden, who have no experience and will have difficulty making tough decisions on personnel (and staff) that we have, I will be so disappointed. The casual fan might like to see a familiar face, but not me. I want competency, and results. I could give a #$^$ that Linden works for the Canucks again. Make me an entertaining winning team.

Until the owners show they have a clue, I'm not happy.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
There's a lot of dysfunction within the organization, starting with the ownership group, Gillis was just part of the problem. That said, I'm glad he's gone!

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
It was time to move on IMO.

Looking forward to seeing who is the next GM & President of H-O.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
I question the rational behind this decision. I'm not saying this is the wrong decision, but I wonder what lead the owners to come to it. Gillis presided over the most successful era in Canucks history, and while he has had some misses, his pluses are strong also. Especially if the rumors of misfires such as the Luongo deal, and subsequent fiasco, were pushed by ownership.

His mantra he explained in his latest interview gave me hope that we had a progressive front office and weren't a bunch of oldschool dolts, who still rattle off things like needing "character" and "toughness" which is essentially impossible to quantify, like other front offices such as the Leafs and Oilers. When he said we needed to get back to puck moving, skill etc. I was like YES. Finally! When Torts was hired I thought he would embrace the new NHL, analytics, and all the data which has been proved time and time again by successful teams. Instead it was all empty promises and he presided over career worsts across the board. I have been extremely underwhelmed with Torts and I believe he is the prime reason our team has faltered this season. Depth and injuries are factors too. But there is no reason why every single player has declined this year except because of the systems he has put in place. He is out of touch. His style of dump and chase, with personnel that aren't even suited for it, is outdated. All the best teams keep possession and have great transition games, something that we were legends for in years past.

This move seriously worries me as a Canucks fan not necessarily because of Gillis leaving, but because of what they will do next. If they turn into the nepotistic organization that others have fallen into, and start hiring sentimental hires like Linden, who have no experience and will have difficulty making tough decisions on personnel (and staff) that we have, I will be so disappointed. The casual fan might like to see a familiar face, but not me. I want competency, and results. I could give a #$^$ that Linden works for the Canucks again. Make me an entertaining winning team.

Until the owners show they have a clue, I'm not happy.

Could not agree more! PR moves are for Oiler fans, I want an experienced NHL executive (not Jay Feaster) and a friggin Stanley Cup.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Could not agree more! PR moves are for Oiler fans, I want an experienced NHL executive (not Jay Feaster) and a friggin Stanley Cup.

At this point, I don't think it matters who the GM is seeing how the ownership seem to have their hands in nearly all major decisions.

Whoever gets hired will be their sock puppet.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Gillis is getting carved up like a Thanksgiving turkey on the TEAM 1040.

Pretty typical to rip on a guy when he gets fired. I'm not listening but I assume there's very little talk about the things he did well, he wasn't a horrible GM like he's made out to be by some.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Worst case scenario for me is the new GM comes in and trades our futures for a "Cup run."

With Gillis I was at least sure he'd incorporate more youth in the system thru the draft and trades.

Now who knows what the plan is...

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Worst case scenario for me is the new GM comes in and trades our futures for a "Cup run."

With Gillis I was at least sure he'd incorporate more youth in the system thru the draft and trades.

Now who knows what the plan is...

Feaster famine 2.0

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
The team 1040 where every caller answers "yes I am" when asked by the host if they are seasons tickets holders :laugh:

Not surprised

An excellent conclusion

Pretty typical to rip on a guy when he gets fired. I'm not listening but I assume there's very little talk about the things he did well, he wasn't a horrible GM like he's made out to be by some.
It's Moje weilding the knife. I never listen to him much but he made it crystal clear that he has hated Gillis from day one. He announced the firing then played audio clips of crowds cheering - crap like that.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
The knives are sure out. I really feel this is colossal step backwards for the organization.

This season was a write off before it began. Ten mill reduced cap, Luongo contract, coach changes etc.

When Lebrun said, "People want their pound of flesh," boy do they ever.

And when the fans and ownership turn on the GM, I really feel bad for him. I would have expected the Aqualini's to have their GM's back. Not twist the dagger.

I know there is no way in hell I would want to be a GM in Vancouver now, with the bar being set at making the playoffs every year.

I feel Gillis had a good longer term plan in place, and now who knows. I expect a new GM to do some radical changes that will probably hurt the franchise long term for short term gains. :help:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
It's Moje weilding the knife. I never listen to him much but he made it crystal clear that he has hated Gillis from day one. He announced the firing then played audio clips of crowds cheering - crap like that.

If I recall the feeling there was mutual- didn't gillis carve Moj live On Air once for hitting the buffet table hard at Canucks games? :laugh:

John Bender*

We'll never really know how much Gillis' failure here was his own fault, or if the AQ group pushed him to do things he never wanted to do. Did he want Tortorella? Did he want to trade Lu to the Leafs at the '12 deadline? Did he want to buy Lu out? Did he even want to sign Lu to that mega deal? How much of his major blunders are actually Aqua forces?

The rumours of Linden being the GM are terrible. Love the guy, but he runs discount fitness centres. He has been out of the league for years. He has no experience to be a GM. Gillis showed his inexperience many time, and I think the market needs a guy that has been in the management stream, in the league, to come in and take over. I am all for Linden being given role of some kind, but I don't think Linden is equipped to make player personnel moves, or decisions about drafting players, etc.

Bob Nicholson, to me, would be a better option as a president.. He is very well liked, has a good media presence, is very experienced. Lots of talk about Jim Benning being a guy that could come in and make shrewd moves - a great judge of talent. Sort of like a Rick Dudley type. Use Nicholson to be the face of the franchise and have Benning be a guy making hockey moves behind the scenes?

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
At this point, I don't think it matters who the GM is seeing how the ownership seem to have their hands in nearly all major decisions.

Whoever gets hired will be their sock puppet.

Any man worth hiring will make it quite clear in the interview process that they want total control over the hockey side of the business or they say no thank you.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014

Man Boobs Moj is a moron who is just sad because Gillis made a fat joke about him once on the air. For real. Oddly enough, Moj couldn't take the joke and kept yelling "Answer the question Mike! What does that have to do with the question!"

After that, Gillis didn't really show his personality much in interviews.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
We'll never really know how much Gillis' failure here was his own fault, or if the AQ group pushed him to do things he never wanted to do. Did he want Tortorella? Did he want to trade Lu to the Leafs at the '12 deadline? Did he want to buy Lu out? Did he even want to sign Lu to that mega deal? How much of his major blunders are actually Aqua forces?

The rumours of Linden being the GM are terrible. Love the guy, but he runs discount fitness centres. He has been out of the league for years. He has no experience to be a GM. Gillis showed his inexperience many time, and I think the market needs a guy that has been in the management stream, in the league, to come in and take over. I am all for Linden being given role of some kind, but I don't think Linden is equipped to make player personnel moves, or decisions about drafting players, etc.

Bob Nicholson, to me, would be a better option as a president.. He is very well liked, has a good media presence, is very experienced. Lots of talk about Jim Benning being a guy that could come in and make shrewd moves - a great judge of talent. Sort of like a Rick Dudley type. Use Nicholson to be the face of the franchise and have Benning be a guy making hockey moves behind the scenes?

I don't know why people are getting excited about bringing in players from the past. Really, we want Markus "We choked" Naslund to lead the organization?

Trevor "one good cup run makes me a god in vancouver" Linden?

If Trevor Linden played for the red wings his whole career he'd be a nobody, like Darren McCarty.. good player but really WGAF

Haka

Aug 14, 2007
I seriously wonder what happened with the Gillis-Torts relationship.

When Torts came in he said he would get back to the safe is death mantra, and was fascinated by all the forward thinking stuff Gillis preached. I was so excited to have AV type forward thinking married with oldschool heart on your sleeve rugged coaching that Torts could provide. It could have been the best of both worlds! He clearly never followed through with this, and either Gillis was duped or he never wanted Torts in the first place.

If it was ownership who pushed for Torts, it reeks of ownership still reacting to losing to Boston, thinking, "we need a tough coach who will make our players tough and then we won't get pushed around and then we'll win."

Boston is good because they are skilled. Chicago was even more skilled last year and beat them.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Mods: can I make a request that you insert the "D" in the title, as in Michael D. Gillis? I notice a lot of the Gillis haters like Moj and B-Mac refer to him with the middle initial- it would be a fine tribute to the haterz

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad