Rumor: Canucks extremely active

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Oh I do...but trading your young scoring winger with good playmaking ability for a Defensive D only depletes our scoring even more...Keeping Toffoli and losing Brock still leaves us with a hole. If Virtanen could play top 6 regularly for this coach then maybe you can look at it differently.

Rather go after a Cernak who most certainly won't cost Boeser or maybe Mayfield from NYI, Foote from TB if Cernak is off the table. Sign DeMelo, Bogosian, Tanev even...

We have options and don't need to sell the farm for a fix this off season while trading a good young player off our team

I think you'll be surprised to know that young RHD doesn't get moved often and considering that's the hardest position to fill really besides 1C you gotta pay. There will be teams lined up to trade for Cernak, Carlo, Mayfield etc.. Demelo is a step below them unless I'm missing something and Tanev is much older and we know of his health issues. Bogosian sucks sorry.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think you'll be surprised to know that young RHD doesn't get moved often and considering that's the hardest position to fill really besides 1C you gotta pay. There will be teams lined up to trade for Cernak, Carlo, Mayfield etc.. Demelo is a step below them unless I'm missing something and Tanev is much older and we know of his health issues. Bogosian sucks sorry.

If DeAngelo, Montour, Barrie and Vatanen x2 are indications, yes you have to pay, no they're not as expensive as you're making it out to be.

I think a solid second pairing with a reasonable contract remaining is approximately a mid 1st plus two 2nds as a baseline price, but most teams looking to move guys like that are looking to fill roster holes instead of pure futures. Many young 1st pairing are worth at least a conversation starter of two firsts, but you're likely not able to pry them out even at double that in a pure futures trade... you have to start discussing roster players.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
He's barely been back for much more than a couple periods in his previous returns. He also initiated a fight on his first shift in his first game back after an incredibly long stretch off.

I think it's safe to assume he's not coming back for any lengthy period of time going forward. I'd bet that he packs it in for good shortly after he returns next.

Yeah I remember the fight and thinking that was such a dumb move. I also remember watching him skate at Burnaby 8 Rinks and thinking he looked so determined to come back healthy.

I am agreeing with you about his health and bigger picture.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If DeAngelo, Montour, Barrie and Vatanen x2 are indications, yes you have to pay, no they're not as expensive as you're making it out to be.

I think a solid second pairing with a reasonable contract remaining is approximately a mid 1st plus two 2nds as a baseline price, but most teams looking to move guys like that are looking to fill roster holes instead of pure futures. Many young 1st pairing are worth at least a conversation starter of two firsts, but you're likely not able to pry them out even at double that in a pure futures trade... you have to start discussing roster players.

I hope your right then but honestly I'm sceptical of getting a top 4 RHD for that and really I think Carlo is top pairing, especially with Hughes. I know the players you listed were had for less but that's the exemption, not the rule. Besides I look at Carlo as a step above them personally.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I hope your right then but honestly I'm sceptical of getting a top 4 RHD for that and really I think Carlo is top pairing, especially with Hughes. I know the players you listed were had for less but that's the exemption, not the rule. Besides I look at Carlo as a step above them personally.

I agree.

And most of the D listed in the post you quoted were less established than Carlo is currently, and were niche defenseman in the offensive/pp mould.

BOS allegedly turned down Duchene for Carlo and Landeskog for Carlo offers a few years ago.

Their valuation of him might have changed a bit since then, but I doubt you’re getting him without a young established top6 forward going back.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
They need to keep Boeser and extend him. This "Boeser is available" stuff is buffoonish. He's one of the 10 players who have the mitts to legit score 40+ goals any given season--and he's about to hit his prime--you don't trade that.
Here's the thing though...
We're not trading Brock to a GM that doesn't already realize this.

We know he has that kind of upside and so do most GMs, that's why we want to exchange him for a VERY GOOD defenseman with equal upside at their position.
If he's the key piece that lands an Aaron Ekblad or equivalent, we're trading him. If he's not, we're keeping him.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Here's the thing though...
We're not trading Brock to a GM that doesn't already realize this.

We know he has that kind of upside and so do most GMs, that's why we want to exchange him for a VERY GOOD defenseman with equal upside at their position.
If he's the key piece that lands an Aaron Ekblad or equivalent, we're trading him. If he's not, we're keeping him.
Fla has an excellent winger in Huberdeau. Move Ekblad and what does fla have left on that blue line besides yandle and Matheson? Which isn’t very good.

fla needs to convince Barkov to extend next off season when he has 1 year left. Start a rebuild again now and I think he is gone.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Fla has an excellent winger in Huberdeau. Move Ekblad and what does fla have left on that blue line besides yandle and Matheson? Which isn’t very good.

fla needs to convince Barkov to extend next off season when he has 1 year left. Start a rebuild again now and I think he is gone.
Trading Ekblad for Boeser wouldn’t be rebuilding though. Also Huberdeau is a LW. If Hoffman and Dadonov leave, Florida is very thin on the wings. If Florida drafts a Drysdale at the draft I can see the trade happening. Boeser+Juolevi

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Myers, Juolevi, Virtanen, Lockwood and a second as sweetener for Panthers to retain 15% salary and cap.

A free Sutter if they want him too.

Myers can at least replace some of the workload and not let the Panthers D fall off the cliff.

Juolevi, Virtanen and Lockwood brings some youth replacement and adds depth up front.

I mean, if we are dreaming, we should dream big, no a realistic proposal like Boeser, that hurts mind to even think of the possibility.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I agree.

And most of the D listed in the post you quoted were less established than Carlo is currently, and were niche defenseman in the offensive/pp mould.

BOS allegedly turned down Duchene for Carlo and Landeskog for Carlo offers a few years ago.

Their valuation of him might have changed a bit since then, but I doubt you’re getting him without a young established top6 forward going back.

It was Landeskog for sure but can't verify Duchene. Nothing has changed about him but the top 6 needs a top six winger. Three years in a row the top line had to carry the team and then they lost when they were neutralized. Now you have to give to get and if the Bruins are wanting a guy of Boeser's calibre, they have to be willing to give up something the Canucks would covet; a top pairing RHD to play with Hughes for the next decade.

I would love to watch Carlo transition from Chara to Krug to Hughes. Those two would be a perfect pairing.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

lawrence

May 19, 2012
just got back, wtf are we talking? Aaron Ekblad? that's not happening. If So Florida has hired the wrong guy, or

he's been hired to unload big contracts.

I don't care if you think every player on our team has "negative" value, Jim Benning's main concern is freeing up space to hopefully sign Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev.

Benning has already shot down Boeser rumours and have not talked to Geurin about Boeser. Nope.

If he's there to unload contracts, then it's probably prospect package for Ekblad and for us it be bringing in additional cap room which probably means, Tanev and Markstrom is not coming back or 2 of the 3 big targets of Toffoli Tanev Markstrom will not come back. If Florida is unloading contracts then they don't want Brock Boeser, since he's 5.8.

other then that, this is what is happening with the so called Baffoon. Benning already said that he's been talking to GM's everyday and it's his job to listen or else he's not doing his job. He did make it clear he wants to bring those 3 back.

I'm going to take this Ekblad thing for a grain of salt and if he is available I"m sure there are 20 other teams interested.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
They need to keep Boeser and extend him. This "Boeser is available" stuff is buffoonish. He's one of the 10 players who have the mitts to legit score 40+ goals any given season--and he's about to hit his prime--you don't trade that.

Podkolzin, Miller, Toffoli, Horvat, Pettersson. Hoglander on the horizon.

The problem is the cap.
And the qualifying offer of 7.5 million for Boeser minimum.

How do the Canucks contend now with no one besides Myers on the RHD?

I am a big Boeser fan but let's not call someone 40+ goals any given season when he hasn't scored even 30. He may one day but that's a bit of a stretch.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
WTF?

Sutter has negative value. Hanifen and Dube are both very cost controlled for what they bring. Pelletier is the Flames best forward prospect and a recent first r0und pick.

Oh no wait....you added the 5th....I didn't see that before....makes it all even out.
Both sides unhappy with it so its probably a good proposal then. FACT

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

Spot on.

Reading the tea leaves, Virtanen could be on his way out, and he would be the only possible Brock replacement in the top 6, unless you look at a tweener stopgap type like Leivo. Help is on the way in terms of prospects, but they're not there yet

Now, you could make a compelling argument to cash Brock in for defensive help, and perhaps the Canucks should. Two problems I see with that ~ one, it's Benning making the deal (and his pro scouting of D has been particularly abysmal) and two, this team seems determined to compete. Trading away arguably the Canucks most offensively gifted winger is definitely robbing Peter to pay Paul

If it were me, I would definitely hang on to Brock at the moment.... he's so seldomly been healthy, undistracted and confident the past 2 years, and yet still has shown signs of "getting it" imo. Let's not forget, it weren't for all the *shiny new toys* like Hughes, Petterson and even Miller, Brock would be the darling of the town.... I realize he's not a perfect player, and he may never totally turn into what we all hoped, but I think you gotta look at his upside, cross your fingers and take your chances. (Especially when, sad to say, wingers just don't always yield premium assets)

Myers, Juolevi, Virtanen, Lockwood and a second as sweetener for Panthers to retain 15% salary and cap.

Myers can at least replace some of the workload and not let the Panthers D fall off the cliff.

Juolevi, Virtanen and Lockwood brings some youth replacement and adds depth up front.

I mean, if we are dreaming, we should dream big, no a realistic proposal like Boeser, that hurts mind to even think of the possibility.

For Ekblad? That's truly terrible, and doesn't even get you Ekblad's left skate

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
what is a good offer for Ekblad that does not require any contract to go back to Florida?

Honestly?

Even if the rumors are true and they're cutting payroll, Ekblad is probably the last to go, given the cost certainty of his contract and that he's their best defenseman.

Even if they again go the shakeup route, it seems more likely that Huberdeau goes, given there's been some rumblings of troubles in paradise on that particular front

I suppose Zito could elect to take a sledgehammer to the entire roster but that seems unlikely

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Honestly?

Even if the rumors are true and they're cutting payroll, Ekblad is probably the last to go, given the cost certainty of his contract and that he's their best defenseman.

Even if they again go the shakeup route, it seems more likely that Huberdeau goes, given there's been some rumblings of troubles in paradise on that particular front

I suppose Zito could elect to take a sledgehammer to the entire roster but that seems unlikely

your really wrong, if a team is cutting payroll they will be cutting their most expensive players. They are doing this to save money and not have to pay players during a non season. Aaron Ekblad is exactly their highest paid player right now, that is of value which people actually want. I can't see anyone wanting Matheson. but yea I don't believe these rumours and we gotta stop thinking J.B is after him. He is looking to unload for Tanev Toffoli, and Markstrom.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
your really wrong, if a team is cutting payroll they will be cutting their most expensive players. They are doing this to save money and not have to pay players during a non season. Aaron Ekblad is exactly their highest paid player right now, that is of value which people actually want. I can't see anyone wanting Matheson. but yea I don't believe these rumours and we gotta stop thinking J.B is after him. He is looking to unload for Tanev Toffoli, and Markstrom.

Or.... they simply walk away from expiring contracts

All the rumor mongering is fun I grant you but usually reality is decidedly less.... hysterical.... I'm certain they're just itching to send out Ekblad for an AHL depth defenseman and a 4th... anything to clear payroll!!

:banana:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Flo is Looking to get rid of salary and not add. They have an Internal cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad