Prospect Info: Canucks draft D Viktor Persson (7th Round, 191st Overall) (Brynäs junior team ---> Kamloops Blazers)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You know, Persson might end up being the best player we drafted from the 2020 draft. Amazing we picked up in the 7th round.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Wish he was in Kamloops. From the clips he is very offensive but works hard defensively as well. Seems to have a good right shot. Did not see any passing or breakouts though that was mentioned as a strength. He looks llike he is worth tracking which is all you can ask for this early.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
This kid looks like he could be a huge steal from the draft. It looks like he should been drafted a lot lower, not in the 7th round. Could the Canucks finally be taking Detroit's strategy, and finally nailing picks in the later rounds? I sure hope so.

Persson looks like a keeper.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
If he plays in Kamloops this year, depending on ice time he will get A lot of points with who his forwards are. Zary, Stankoven, Centazzo, Pillar. With Garand in net as well. Have some fantastic prospects coming up to, definitely will be a powerhouse team for 4 years or so. It's about time again. Haven't had this good of a team since Iginla, Neidermeyer, Doan, Sydor, Recchi, Tucker etc.

Reactions: Kearns

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In that clip, he looks eerily like a young OEL. I suppose Canuck fans can always dream.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You'd love to be a scout in a war-room somewhere to find out why guys like Jurmo and Persson fall so far in a draft....big d-men, who skate like the wind with great lateral agility and booming shots, at least based on their highlight packages. They can defend, and lead the rush up ice--all attributes that NHL teams supposedly value. Yet they're sill on the board in rounds #3 and #7.

Maybe it was just the year where European prospects simply didn't get the exposure they might otherwise have received. But props to the Canucks for finding these guys where they did, particularly because they didn't have a draft pick in the top-80 players.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How was this kid a 7th round pick?
We should draft at least 2/3 Swedes every year

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
How was this kid a 7th round pick?
We should draft at least 2/3 Swedes every year

I agree.Our Swedish scouts have been by far the most consistent over the years at finding solid pro player even if most of them were later picks who weren’t quite NHL level.

Our OHL scouts have been decent but our WHL guys have been pretty bad and the Q scouts were so dreadful in the Gillis era that they’ve basically been shut out of the process ever since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad