Post-Game Talk: Canucks defeat Oilers | 8-1 (Boeser[4], Garland, Pettersson, Miller, & Joshua) - It's So Beautiful

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
We need to pull a repeat of our start to the 2008/2009 season where we opened with a home and home against Calgary. Curb stomped them 6-0 on home ice, before pulling off a come from behind, 5-4 OT win in Calgary the next game (RIP Pavol Demitra)

My dad is a Flames fan and we always watched those season openers together and a lot of their other games during the season. Those prime Sedin era Canucks, like, didn't lose at all against Calgary for years, right? That was pretty enjoyable

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Biased as he's my namesake, but I think Baertschi was one of the few Benning era additions that ever really did anything positive for us in this regard, and it wasn't even intentional on the act of management. They acquired Baertschi just because they thought he was fools gold as a reclamation project and part of the future core, but what he actually ended up being was a great supplementary winger for Horvat and Boeser that helped them a good amount with their development by being smart enough to keep up with them and a good enough passer to enable them offensively. That BBB line was one of the bright spots of those years and it was something I have no doubt in my mind was not built intentionally whatsoever

It's funny because I was just thinking about that line the other day. I'm very critical of Boeser now but there was a time when I was so excited for that line because it was basically the only thing on the team that gave any hope.

Reactions: Vector

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I know "INTANGIBLES!!!" has become a pretty fraught topic in the post Toews era, but I really think that's what separates Crosby and Malkin from McDavid and Draisaitl. They are such ridiculously hard workers that have always put the team and winning first and set such a good example. The stories that have been passed around over the years between the offseasons that Crosby organized and the offseasons that McDavid organized are night and day. The Pens went from some of the worst losers in the league post-Lemieux, and a franchise in crisis, to having one of the best, most consistent winning cultures in the entire league and it's because of the foundation that core laid down.

Related, but I still hate how Tippett and now Woodcroft throw McDavid and Draisaitl together as soon as they go down and cant generate any offense. It works sometimes, sure, but I think as a habit it sends a REALLY BAD subliminal message to the rest of the team. What's implicit whenever you break up your 4 line structure to just "let the big boys handle it" is that the rest of the team can't do anything without them and that they need to be relied upon to win. It's not just about putting them together, it's about the consistent timing of it, and I really think it affects how mentally and culturally weak they are as a team
As soon as the oilers face any adversity, they just crumble like a house of cards in a gust of wind. You can see McDavid and Draisaitl’s body language when they’re frustrated, it’s not pretty. It trickles down the lineup.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
It's funny because I was just thinking about that line the other day. I'm very critical of Boeser now but there was a time when I was so excited for that line because it was basically the only thing on the team that gave any hope.
Baer is an underrated Canuck for me. He played up and down the lineup and was really flexible with playing to his linemates strengths, especially the young guys. Had some good years of putting up over .5 PPG and being a 20/20 guy over 82 games with limited PP production. Got a raw deal with injuries and concussions, but he was definitely one of our better outcomes to Bennings reclamation project escapades

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Forget how it happened, it actually really struck me just how much it seemed to mean to Boeser to have a night like last night. I haven't seen him that happy and relieved and carefree in years. He just looks like a huge weight that he's been carrying has been lifted off his shoulders, it's honestly pretty emotional considering what he's gone through

1697132551485.png

"And at last I see the light, it's like the fog has lifted."

Reactions: Indiana

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
The opponent complaining about running up the score? Enjoy it while it lasts folks, I remember being hated by opponents - it was glorious. We're not there yet, obviously, but the Oiler post game comments were enjoyable.

If the shoe's on the other foot and McBaby ran up 6 points there would be nothing but celebration on the other side.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Also, during the Captain ceremony they showed literally every guy who wore the C in Canucks history except a certain bald bastard. The Canucks PR team gets us.

Attached some pics from the game and my son meeting some of the players. It was a great experience. View attachment 751825View attachment 751826View attachment 751827View attachment 751828View attachment 751829View attachment 751830View attachment 751831View attachment 751832View attachment 751833
No Kevin McCarthy?

Looked like he had a good time Mr C

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Felt like the Oilers came into the game arrogantly expecting an easy win and then basically gave up in the 3rd when the game was out of hand.

I definitely notice what people have talked about how certain Oilers players love to do little cheap shots and chance they can. Nurse, Kane etc.

Reactions: Indiana and andora

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Keep in mind also that this is the same team that had a 'let's play the EBUG to give him a special moment' party against Chicago last year when they were up 7-2 which is one of the most disrespectful things I've ever seen.
Keep in mind this team kicked the piss out of us on the ice in the 80’s and then beat the shit out of us as well.

Mark Messier clubbed Thomas Gradin like a seal and knocked out a half dozen of Richie Sutter’s teeth with his stick. Semenko pounding Smyl.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The opponent complaining about running up the score? Enjoy it while it lasts folks, I remember being hated by opponents - it was glorious. We're not there yet, obviously, but the Oiler post game comments were enjoyable.
It's game 1. Everyone wants to hit the score sheet early in the season to feel good, vs take 5-6 games to hit the scroesheet. Not a big deal. Besides, PP1, more likely to just control play vs the bottom 6 guys trying to score.

Every sport has to deal with blowouts. MLB, hardest since its by outs not time. So, technically you can have more comebacks. Losing teams even throw of position players to pitch for the final 6 outs to try to conserve their relievers for the next game in case they are needed.
NFL/NBA inserts backups into the game.
Soccer, only have 2 subs, so not much you can do.
NHL, still have to roll your lines with more ice time for the bottom 6 F and bottom pair D.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
The Luongo trade? :sarcasm:
Trevor Linden for Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan McCabe and Jarkko Ruttuu was an ass ramming for Vancouver. That trade led to the WCE era, got us a twin for Caber , and then Bert for Luongo and then Roberto for Marky.

Trevor Linden was a nice fella but Iron Mike did Mike Milbury dirty. Then years later, the Cheeseburgular did Iron Mike to get Roberto.

Trade trees are wild. I think Milan Lucic is somehow part of the original Cam Neely bludgeon to the heart. The gift that kept on giving. Jack Gordon what a moron.

What a mess I made of that post but I think you get my point Angry one :cool:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I got a chuckle out of Mark Spector's tongue lashing of the Oilers performance last night..This comment regarding Draisaitl's slash on Ian Cole.

"Does Leon Draisaitl use his stick for its intended purpose? Or does he continue to play like a spoiled Paul Bunyan, leading his team to the penalty kill when he should be leading them towards a game they can win with?"

• Love

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
I got a chuckle out of Mark Spector's tongue lashing of the Oilers performance last night..This comment regarding Draisaitl's slash on Ian Cole.

"Does Leon Draisaitl use his stick for its intended purpose? Or does he continue to play like a spoiled Paul Bunyan, leading his team to the penalty kill when he should be leading them towards a game they can win with?"

Why is Draisatil so pissy?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
McDavid appeared to call out the Canucks for bringing in their backup with half a period left; and sending out their first unit pp when the score was 8-1.

Of course I'm sure he was embarrassed to learn later that Demko pulled himself with nausea and de-hydration system.

And the only reason the Canucks send most of their first unit pp out there late in the game was that the Oilers kept taking stupid penalties and the Canucks ran out of guys they could send out there for PP duty.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
McDavid appeared to call out the Canucks for bringing in their backup with half a period left; and sending out their first unit pp when the score was 8-1.

Of course I'm sure he was embarrassed to learn later that Demko pulled himself with nausea and de-hydration system.

And the only reason the Canucks send most of their first unit pp out there late in the game was that the Oilers kept taking stupid penalties and the Canucks ran out of guys they could send out there for PP duty.
Demko literally threw up in his mask and Tocchet was like “yeah get off the ice bro”. And oilers still only scored one on him.

I cannot work out when I’m nauseous or sick, I couldn’t even begin to fathom how straight up awful it would be to play net when you’re barfy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad