Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Stars - 6-2 (Pettersson x2, Boeser, Dickinson, Garland, Podkolzin)

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
It won’t be Dallas or Nashville. We’re really chasing LA. Also, it is 6 games left.
We control our destiny vs LA. win out and we take LA's spot since we play them once and VGK can't catch us if we win out.

That said, Nashville and Dallas have way tougher schedules. I wouldn't be shocked at all if LA and one of Nashville/Dallas got bounced and both Canucks and VGK make it with VGK snagging the WC. That would be one heck of a matchup for Colorado or LA once they reactivate $12m from LTIR on day one of the playoffs.

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
I want that yellow Pettersson team Sweden jersey that dude sitting front row had on. It looks so sharp.

1429919-elias-pettersson-sweden-canucks-twitter.jpg

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Haven't posted in awhile but the way some of you guys fixate on things makes me fixate on you and it drives me nuts.

The Boeser bashing in particular. This isn't a great season for him of course but its hard to complain when his worst work is still 20 goals and 20 assists. He's better than this and they'll have an opportunity to negotiate a sweet heart deal as a result of a less than ideal season.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
It's a shame that this team probably won't make the playoffs, because they're fun to watch right now.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That whole idea of Dermott going unnoticed is way more extreme than any Canuck comparable I can think of. If you enjoy watching strong defensive play, guys like Tanev and Hamhuis are VERY noticeable, despite not being flashy.

No, Dermott is ACTUALLY unnoticable. Feels like the play-by-play barely even mentions his name, even in our own end.

Reactions: M2Beezy and Dab

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Finally had a chance to watch a game again and my internet dies right after the 2-1 goal...

Oh well good to see the win but don't have much to discuss having not watched the bulk of the game. Good to Podz start to pick up points though that's for sure.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Haven't posted in awhile but the way some of you guys fixate on things makes me fixate on you and it drives me nuts.

The Boeser bashing in particular. This isn't a great season for him of course but its hard to complain when his worst work is still 20 goals and 20 assists. He's better than this and they'll have an opportunity to negotiate a sweet heart deal as a result of a less than ideal season.
That’s some sweetheart thinking

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That whole idea of Dermott going unnoticed is way more extreme than any Canuck comparable I can think of. If you enjoy watching strong defensive play, guys like Tanev and Hamhuis are VERY noticeable, despite not being flashy.

No, Dermott is ACTUALLY unnoticable. Feels like the play-by-play barely even mentions his name, even in our own end.

the only other guy i can remember never noticing (in a good way) was brian glynn

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
honestly this game was won by coaching

in the first there was that one shift where boeser flubbed that three on one with dick and someone else (richie?) and the knives came out, and then one poster launched into brock boeser performance art.

at that point, travis green would have said to him (or maybe just to himself, because green was a coward), that’s why you’re playing with fourth liners. take your sailors i condemn you to hell. esp since dries made that great play to set up petey’s goal.

but boudreau saw it the exact opposite way. you can’t have broken down, seasonal affective disorder boeser leading the rush like that, esp with no hands dickinson as his passing option. so he puts them both with petey to start the second and boeser makes not one, not two, but three i’m-getting-involved defensive plays to initiate the rush and then bury the one timer from petey.

the rest of the game, instead of failing at being the puck carrier and playmaker, he was doing generally positive things in the o-zone totally away from the play. he shifted back to the point at least three times and got off wide open shots, one of which led to the dick goal. he drifted to the side boards on his off wing and found openings. basically he found the sweet spot between too involved and not involved at all, which is exactly where he needs to be.

now is he a player we want on the team moving forward? idk. his limitations are still his limitations, and he’s not going to magically learn how to skate this summer like young horvat did. and at the end of the game, when he was defending against the empty net you could so obviously see he had no idea how to put his stick in the passing lane as dallas was bringing the puck up ice (that part is fixable, but overall he would need a full reprogramming). but my point is, instead of shooting him out of a cannon, bouds put him in a position to succeed and then he did. who was our last coach that would have done that? not green, not 1-2-3-4 willie, torts would have slapped him in the face during the intermission, definitely not AV. you’d have to go all the way back to pat quinn?

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

in the first there was that one shift where boeser flubbed that three on one with dick and someone else (richie?) and the knives came out, and then one poster launched into brock boeser performance art.

at that point, travis green would have said to him (or maybe just to himself, because green was a coward), that’s why you’re playing with fourth liners. take your sailors i condemn you to hell. esp since dries made that great play to set up petey’s goal.

but boudreau saw it the exact opposite way. you can’t have broken down, seasonal affective disorder boeser leading the rush like that, esp with no hands dickinson as his passing option. so he puts them both with petey to start the second and boeser makes not one, not two, but three i’m-getting-involved defensive plays to initiate the rush and then bury the one timer from petey.

the rest of the game, instead of failing at being the puck carrier and playmaker, he was doing generally positive things in the o-zone totally away from the play. he shifted back to the point at least three times and got off wide open shots, one of which led to the dick goal. he drifted to the side boards on his off wing and found openings. basically he found the sweet spot between too involved and not involved at all, which is exactly where he needs to be.

now is he a player we want on the team moving forward? idk. his limitations are still his limitations, and he’s not going to magically learn how to skate this summer like young horvat did. and at the end of the game, when he was defending against the empty net you could so obviously see he had no idea how to put his stick in the passing lane as dallas was bringing the puck up ice (that part is fixable, but overall he would need a full reprogramming). but my point is, instead of shooting him out of a cannon, bouds put him in a position to succeed and then he did. who was our last coach that would have done that? not green, not 1-2-3-4 willie, torts would have slapped him in the face during the intermission, definitely not AV. you’d have to go all the way back to pat quinn?
Great post, one small disagreement- I think AV would be giving Boeser 70% offensive zone starts.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Great post, one small disagreement- I think AV would be giving Boeser 70% offensive zone starts.

i still believe AV would have treated cody like he treated ballard, only gillis made him give him soft minutes

i always imagined AV going home every night and punching the mirror in his bathroom until hodgson was finally traded

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

They don’t.

Dermott carries the puck safely into the neutral zone is not very exciting.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Lol

Some call it performance art.

Others call it being totally unhinged.

It makes the gdt colourful I’ll give him that.

Nice break down.

That first Boeser-Dickinson shift with the two going down the near boards within 2ft each other looking completely lost was not the best look for either player.

And we didn’t see such dysfunction for the rest of the game.

It’s a weird feeling not having a trash can for a coach.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Lol

Some call it performance art.

Others call it being totally unhinged.

It makes the gdt colourful I’ll give him that.

Nice break down.

That first Boeser-Dickinson shift with the two going down the near boards within 2ft each other looking completely lost was not the best look for either player.

And we didn’t see such dysfunction for the rest of the game.

It’s a weird feeling not having a trash can for a coach.
In all fairness to Jim Benning, most/all GM's make mistakes in a hiring eventually.

What is unforgivable is keeping mistakes around for 7+ @^^W%^WE$% years in Dumb & Dumber (Willie or Travis).

But yeah, having Bruce as coach in 2015 instead of Dumb or Dumber means we get by the Flamers in the playoffs.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In all fairness to Jim Benning, most/all GM's make mistakes in a hiring eventually.

What is unforgivable is keeping mistakes around for 7+ @^^W%^WE$% years in Dumb & Dumber (Willie or Travis).

But yeah, having Bruce as coach in 2015 instead of Dumb or Dumber means we get by the Flamers in the playoffs.
You know what’s even more unforgivable?
Aquaman keeping Benning around for that long!

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I sure would like to see Luke Schenn in a Habs jersey, very underrated defenseman, will knock someone on their keister and not afraid to throw hands with anyone. Always thought the Leafs gave up on him way too early. He would be an upgrade from what they have now! Go Nucks Go!

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
It's 'won or done' in tonight's game....even with a win, it's still doubtful they're reeling in the Stars. The wildcard race is basically over. The Canucks only real hope is third place in the Pacific.

They're obviously hoping that L.A. really falters down the stretch. But even if they do, the Canucks will have to climb over Vegas to get into third spot. And looking at the Kings schedule, they have a back-to-back with Anaheim and I think still have to play the Kraken.

Just can't see it happening this year.
Nashville has to run a gauntlet I think is easily catchable... Min, Cgy, TB, Cgy, Dal, AZ I think (can be corrected). Nashville is going to fall out.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It will be tough. Canucks play Calgary, Minny and Oilers on the road. We need to win all are other 3 games plus at least 1 of these. 94 points is likely the lowest but 96 which us only 1 loss likely is enough. LA will likely lose one of their easy games. If we catch LA it means we likely passed Vegas by default. Vegas is not winning the rest of their games. Still very unlikely we do either 10% chance seems right. Too bad this is best team we have had since 2013.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
It will be tough. Canucks play Calgary, Minny and Oilers on the road. We need to win all are other 3 games plus at least 1 of these. 94 points is likely the lowest but 96 which us only 1 loss likely is enough. LA will likely lose one of their easy games. If we catch LA it means we likely passed Vegas by default. Vegas is not winning the rest of their games. Still very unlikely we do either 10% chance seems right. Too bad this is best team we have had since 2013.
True. I hope we can make it. Would be a Cinderella story, like St Louis in 2019.

But, there is always next year. Looking at a team with Demlo, Podz, EP40, Hogs, Hughes, and (not really young now) Bo as young stars is going to be a lot of fun. If OEL can hang on, we are going to have a lot of strength across the board.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00