Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Stars - 4-1 (Pettersson x2, Horvat, Miller)

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Only need to go 11-3-1!!
That's possible. It's also possible they can 9-4-2 and make it. The point totals to make the last wild card spot varies greatly from year to year, from as low as 87 points to as high as 99 points. Dallas is projected to finish with 96 points. A lot can change for them in their next 17 games. At least the Canucks are hanging in there and giving themselves a chance .

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Another win!
Sooooo f***ing happy!!!

Keep it going, boys!!

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Live to fight another day. I’m not a fan of “tanking” at all, even if I fully understand the long term benefit. At this stage in their development with so much losing over the past several seasons, playing meaningful, emotional, tight games, is extremely important to a lot of these guys’ future.

To me, a loss is fine since it will force management to jettison the guys with no future right away and give auditions. A win is also fine since it helps reverse the loser culture that has seeped into the very soul of this organization.

I have a couple other thoughts that aren’t related to the above.

1) I’m increasingly coming to understand management’s reticence to trading Miller. He’s the only forward who consistently drives the offense. Without him, they are almost back to square one and the two year timeline becomes exponentially longer.

Granted, Pettersson had his best game in months tonight and if he can continue this to close out the season then maybe that changes the outlook. Otherwise, they are stuck with 2/3 of the solid building blocks to a contender instead of the 3/3 they thought they had, if Miller is traded. He may force their hand if a reasonable extension isn’t an option.

2) They won’t but I’d love to see the team building and coaching take advantage of having an actual brick wall in net. Really push the pace, style, and system to focus on creating offensive chances and not get bent out of shape about giving up chances against. I say this as a temporary solution until the defense can be fully revamped with dependable two-way players. The Canucks have an opportunity to take advantage of a special goalie and it can be very frustrating for them not treat it that way.

Last edited:

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Basically we need to go on a nice 5 gaming winning streak sometime before the end of the season to make the playoffs. Our best bet of doing that is over the next 3 weeks

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
He is not. He’s got 16 points and has played almost every game and was a top 10 pick. The pick just before him has 60 points.

I’m not sure if you were being serious or not, honestly.

You are kidding right? Podz has played great - yeah the points haven't been there but he's gonna be a very solid part of our core. He's been very solid for a rookie. I would take this season of his any day of the week.

Reactions: B-rock

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Live to fight another day. I’m not a fan of “tanking” at all, even if I fully understand the long term benefit. At this stage in their development with so much losing over the past several seasons, playing meaningful, emotional, tight games, is extremely important to a lot of these guys’ future.

To me, a loss is fine since it will force management to jettison the guys with no future right away and give auditions. A win is also fine since it helps reverse the loser culture that has seeped into the very soul of this organization.

I have a couple other thoughts that aren’t related to the above.

1) I’m increasingly coming to understand management’s reticence to trading Miller. He’s the only forward who consistently drives the offense. Without him, they are almost back to square one and the two year timeline becomes exponentially longer.

Granted, Pettersson had his best game in months tonight and if he can continue this to close out the season then maybe that changes the outlook. Otherwise, they are stuck with 2/3 of the solid building blocks to a contender instead of the 3/3 they thought they had, if Miller is traded. He may force their hand if a reasonable extension isn’t an option.

2) They won’t but I’d love to see the team building and coaching take advantage of having an actual brick wall in net. Really push the pace, style, and system to focus on creating offensive chances and not get bent out of shape about giving up chances against. I say this as a temporary solution until the defense can be fully revamped with dependable two-way players. The Canucks have an opportunity to take advantage of a special goalie and it round be very frustrating for them not treat it that way.

It's a really tough decision with Miller. If we want to extend him this summer then he is looking for top 10 scorer in the league type of salary. The question becomes whether he is really that level of player. Or is he just having an outlier season (i.e. 1.22 ppg vs 1.0 ppg). Not everything is about points but Boeser outscored Miller just last season. The other factor is age of course.

I feel that EP will regain his form next season and that Miller will regress, and would trade JT to the highest bidder.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’m a hunt fan. He’s been good for a while now after the bad start.

Agree that Hunt has put together a pretty nice run of play, here. Deserving of his spot in the lineup.

I mentioned it during the game, but I’ll say it again here - Podkolzin got a lot of key shifts during the third period with the game on the line, and he acquitted himself really well. He’s earned some trust with Boudreau, clearly.

jokar

Nov 23, 2019
Vancouver
I thought Dermott had a great game, especially in the first he was breaking up plays by the Stars offence and moving the puck out efficiently. Would love to see him in top 4 minutes later on.

Reactions: David71

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Stars kinda played like ass, but they do that frequently. Roster full of old slow junk they're going nowhere fast

Reactions: Metalwood

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
Canucks play the blues twice who are in a slump. Stars play the ducks who are sputtering even harder twice next - playoffs still feel illusory. A loss today would have shattered the possibility. More annoying that Vegas plays Seattle twice. Ugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $185.00