Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Stars - 2-0 | Demko Holds the Door

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Went toe to toe with a very good team, got the huge saves when needed, stuck to the system and came out on top. It’s truly amazing what good coaching and proper nhl depth can do for a team.

Onto the Oilers….a regulation win makes it hard for the Oilers to catch the Canucks this season. You can’t secure a playoff spot the first 20 games but you can lose one.

Feb 19, 2018
Rare off night for Hughes and we still won. I don’t think I’ve seen him off balance so many times in one season let alone this game. I’m starting to believe and every game is must watch Hockey again.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Myers was actually really good last night.

Joshua too.

In fact the defensive deployment has been perfect and they are playing great 1-6.

I'd like to give Bains a shot at some point. What's the word on Blueger?

Myers was actually really good last night.

Joshua too.

In fact the defensive deployment has been perfect and they are playing great 1-6.

I'd like to give Bains a shot at some point. What's the word on Blueger?
Also who do you take out for Blueger?

We’re basically pulling a Tampa right now. Have some really really high end players, have an amazing goalie, fill in the depth with good enough players, and stick tk a system.

Absolutely loving it
I dunno about "good enough". Their depth has all played very well and worked hard and added secondary scoring. Garland and Beauvillier and Lafferty and even Hoglander in particular have really worked hard and added scoring touch and speed and tenacity to the bottom 6. Plus Boeser looks rejuvenated.

SopelFanThe3rd

Cock of the Walk
Oct 25, 2020
Your Mother's House.
Joshua and Studnika have been rotating. I imagine one of them at this point or Hoglander always seems to get the shaft.
I'll give u the shaft!

Also I doubt they'll take out Joshua long term as they don't have a lot of size in the bottom 6. Hope it isn't Hoglander though. He has confidence and is effective and I don't want to wreck that.

Also they haven't really been rotating... Joshua just got sat one game and Studnicka came in.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Said this earlier but the way the team is playing you have to be extremely nitpicky to find anyone playing poorly. Obviously some guys less effective than other games, but just a good all-around performance. Thought this was similar to the Rangers game where the opponent was better in the 1st period but the Canucks controlled from there.

Only two players I want to single out are actually Cole & Myers. I actually thought Cole was quite poor early this year when they were paired together but Myers took all the heat. Since the change, Cole has been excellent. Myers is in a more suitable role now and has actually been quite solid as well.

The team is probably due for a bad game here soon, but they've given themselves enough space so that's fine.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
It wasn't so much they were cheering for us but rather *AGAINST* the Bruins. No self-respecting fan of the Montreal Canadian could *EVER* cheer for the Bruins. *EVER*.

i think even moreso, it’s whatever anglo canada is going to hate they are going to like, and vice versa

very impressive game last night. my biggest takehome about the difference between this year and others is we legitimately disrupt the breakout at a high level. it’s not just petey intercepting the odd pass and jtm floating around not trying but snagging a few pucks anyway because his stick being in the passing lane out of good habits. now petey and jtm are disrupting every single breakout, which means our d don’t auto-concede the blueline and back off into the neutral zone every time, hughes approaching like a ray bourque level at holding the line (arguably even more important than him learning to shoot over the summer), and the rest of the forwards, even boeser, being at least a neutral if not a positive in offensive zone puck battles.

i totally forgot what it was like to consistently hem other teams in. the total opposite of spending eight benning years being hemmed into our own zone while the other team counterattacks as a matter of due course.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He actually said this about me after he took me out for some fine Italian cuisine and then back to his bungalow.
giphy.gif

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I always wonder why so many teams want to load up their defense with players that can score. Those teams will grab as many as they can and wonder why they can't hold leads or kill penalties. I think we are seeing the results of having defense that play defense. Sure Demko and the scorers have contributed but the team is allowing just 2 goals a game and projecting to 162 goals allowed. Boston had the fewest goals allowed last season with 177 and last year the Canucks gave up 298. Cutting the goals allowed is the primary reason for this new found success.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Some prospects just are unable to take that final step (to the NHL). Seemed to have everything you want in a prospect. It just didn't pan out. A worthy 'gamble' (drafting him) imho.

Agreed, really shows how good our pro scouting has been moving him for Friedman.

He's a pest and playing well. All our best teams had pests too. Love to see it.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
We’re basically pulling a Tampa right now. Have some really really high end players, have an amazing goalie, fill in the depth with good enough players, and stick tk a system.

Absolutely loving it
We need a big time injury that we can stash in LTIR close the playoffs and then trade for an equivalent salary and then bring the injured player back and be like 10 million over the cap but it doesn't matter in the playoffs if we REALLY want to pull a Tampa.

Reactions: geebaan

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I always wonder why so many teams want to load up their defense with players that can score. Those teams will grab as many as they can and wonder why they can't hold leads or kill penalties. I think we are seeing the results of having defense that play defense. Sure Demko and the scorers have contributed but the team is allowing just 2 goals a game and projecting to 162 goals allowed. Boston had the fewest goals allowed last season with 177 and last year the Canucks gave up 298. Cutting the goals allowed is the primary reason for this new found success.
This is true, but our D is also chipping in with points. Hughes, obviously, but Hronek is also in the top 10, Soucy has potted a couple, and Myers is earning some points as well. I'd still like to see Myers gone, but right now the balance is pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad