Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sharks - 7-4 (Kuzmenko x2, Joshua, Aman, Lafferty, Suter, Hughes) | 1st in the NHL!

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Ehh, can't say I agree. There's some very stiff competition right now. Hill has been incredible, Talbot's had a complete resurgence but I still think it's Swayman pulling ahead. All three have been better than Demko as of late.

There's pretty much zero chance he even gets nominated when DeSmith actually has a better GAA and SV%. Plenty of time for Demko to roar back but he's definitely taken himself out of the Vezina conversation at the moment.
Vegas odds still have him as the number one/two favorite.

That said I completely agree with you that he hasn't looked sharp as of late. But again I ain't worried about it yet.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
they-dont-know-canucks-jpg.789795

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
The Vezna is very stat heavy. Demko is sitting 7th in GAA at 2.46, 10th in S% at 9.17, and T1st for shut outs with 3.

If Demko gets that S% back up to around 9.25% I’d say he’s there, but I don’t this he is currently in the running despite how well he has looked, he’s just had a couple of game like last night that kill his stats.

Hughes on the other hand, he’s gotta be the leader for the Norris.
This, anyone that thinks Demko is currently the Vezina favourite is a huge homer. And he doesn’t deserve it either; among a lot of great performances so far, he’s been one of the most disappointing.

Reactions: calnuck

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This, anyone that thinks Demko is currently the Vezina favourite is a huge homer. And he doesn’t deserve it either; among a lot of great performances so far, he’s been one of the most disappointing.
Demko had a stinker of a game last night.
He didn't steal this game the rest of the team bailed him out this time.
No stopping 30+ shots while the team is out shot almost two to one in the first two periods

I saw something that made me think he may be hurting again, he surged from left to right but didn't make it all the way.

But he has been very good overall so far this season.

That was Zadorov's worst game since being traded, Myers sure can fly when he turns the jets on.

Kuzmenko passed up a couple of good shots to try to set up Boeser. Sure was a nice shot for that first goal, a laser.

Mikheyev was stumbling around a bit.

First in points.

.700 points percentage tied for second with LA.

Nobody thought they would be at these heights at Xmas.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The most amazing thing for me is the forward depth! The star players were the main reason at the beginning of the season for all of the success.
But the third line has been the best third line in the league for a while now and have been the biggest reason lately for all of the success while the top players have tailed off a bit.

Third line in the last 6 games 🔥

Dakota Joshua - 5G 2A
Conor Garland - 1G 6A
Teddy Blueger - 2G 6A

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Nice to see them find different ways to win, even when they aren’t really getting stellar goaltending. Coaching staff really looks top notch.

Hopefully Demko is just going through a down period and isn’t dealing with some nagging injury etc.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The most amazing thing for me is the forward depth! The star players were the main reason at the beginning of the season for all of the success.
But the third line has been the best third line in the league for a while now and have been the biggest reason lately for all of the success while the top players have tailed off a bit.

Third line in the last 6 games 🔥

Dakota Joshua - 5G 2A
Conor Garland - 1G 6A
Teddy Blueger - 2G 6A
That has really bolstered Garland's trade value. It ought to be easier for his agent and Allvin to execute his request made at the start of the season now.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1st in the league outright

2nd in winning percentage (tied with LA)

1st in goals

1st in goals/game

6th in goals against (tied with NYR)

2nd in goals against/game

1st or last in PDO, i have no f***ing idea what that is and i don’t know where to look that up but i assume

3rd, 5th, 9th, 16th in pts (miller, hughes, petey, boeser)

2nd, 11th in goals (boeser, miller)

2nd, 4th, 7th, 11th in assists (hughes, miller, petey, hronek)

1st, 2nd, 12th, 17th, 17th in +/- (hughes, hronek, lafferty, hog, miller)

1st in wins (demko)

7th, 8th in GAA (desmith, demko)

5th, 10th in SV% (desmith, demko)

1st in shutouts (demko)

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
1st in the league outright

2nd in winning percentage (tied with LA)

1st in goals

1st in goals/game

6th in goals against (tied with NYR)

2nd in goals against/game

1st or last in PDO, i have no f***ing idea what that is and i don’t know where to look that up but i assume

3rd, 5th, 9th, 16th in pts (miller, hughes, petey, boeser)

2nd, 11th in goals (boeser, miller)

2nd, 4th, 7th, 11th in assists (hughes, miller, petey, hronek)

1st, 2nd, 12th, 17th, 17th in +/- (hughes, hronek, lafferty, hog, miller)

1st in wins (demko)

7th, 8th in GAA (desmith, demko)

5th, 10th in SV% (desmith, demko)

1st in shutouts (demko)

this run is very very reminiscent to me of the fall of 1991, on the is-this-real-life wavelength

up to xmas 1991:

5th in the league, 20-11-5 record, 1st in the smythe, 2nd in conference

5th, 15th in pts (linden, ronning)

2nd in wins

11th in GAA

8th in SV%

1st in shutouts (all mclean)

and most crucially bure came over in november

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007

Drance at Christmas parties this year with Canucks fans :laugh:

What a time to be alive, it hasn't been this fun to watch the team in 10+ years. Not every game is going to be a masterpiece, and players are going to have their ups and downs, but a sign of a great team is when the rest of the pieces pick it up and can support each other when that happens.

Pretty sure most of the cracks started to appear once the schedule got ridiculous in mid-November. Why we played so few games in the first two weeks of the season & then ramped up this hard is a bit wild. Excited to see what this break does for them + bringing some fresh legs back.

Reactions: tradervik

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Nice to see them find different ways to win, even when they aren’t really getting stellar goaltending. Coaching staff really looks top notch.

Hopefully Demko is just going through a down period and isn’t dealing with some nagging injury etc.
This was really a nothing game with very little flow but the Canucks had a slight, vague territorial advantage the entire time which I would attribute to superior talent. Kuzmenko was fairly invisible despite scoring twice, Myers had a lot of good exits that better teams might have stifled but he was skating very well.

There were multiple Red Wings scouts posted up in the end where the Sharks attacked twice, something tells me they were always prepared for Kane to fail.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
lol, he's the odds favorite and everyone outside of delusional never happy Canuck fans can see it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Watching the highlights, love seeing Kuz score. He is a huge blind spot for Tocchet, hopefully Tocchet comes to his senses.
A few posters were saying that Tocchet dun goofed after Kuzzy comes out and scores 2 goals right off the bat..Then his line proceeds to buckle defensively, and are on the ice for the next 3 goals against.

I'm with the coach on this one...Tocchet has explained to the fans/media, that to play within the teams structure/system, certain details on defensive play (each players responsibilities) are non negotiable..(by everyone on the team)...A different set of of rules doesnt apply to one player.

Tocchet obviously didnt like what he saw from Kuz in the Minnesota game, and Kuz took a time out..The team then played Chicago and Nashville (probably their most complete/disciplined road game of the season) and Dallas without him.

Tough love by the coach worked for Hoglander, it can also work for Kuz.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
A few posters were saying that Tocchet dun goofed after Kuzzy comes out and scores 2 goals right off the bat..Then his line proceeds to buckle defensively, and are on the ice for the next 3 goals against.

I'm with the coach on this one...Tocchet has explained to the fans/media, that to play within the teams structure/system, certain details on defensive play (each players responsibilities) are non negotiable..(by everyone on the team)...A different set of of rules doesnt apply to one player.

Tocchet obviously didnt like what he saw from Kuz in the Minnesota game, and Kuz took a time out..The team then played Chicago and Nashville (probably their most complete/disciplined road game of the season) and Dallas without him.

Tough love by the coach worked for Hoglander, it can also work for Kuz.

It's kind of a funny situation where people can cling to their original opinion here and not necessarily be wrong. Kuzmenko scores twice - Tocchet motivated him. Or Kuzmenko scored twice - he should have never been scratched.

Maybe best not to take too much away from one game vs a terrible team.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
As for the team, well, when their only wins are against teams below them in the standings it's hard to have hope.

All the teams are below them in the standings now.

It's also quite obvious that the league has rigged the regular season for the Canucks.

The league has rigged something in favour of the Canucks? That’s crazy talk!

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
That Kuzmenko post game interview was epic. The interviewer kind of left him out to dry though, clearly she didn't do her homework on who she was interviewing.

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad