Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sens - 6-2 (Pearson, Motte, Schenn, Horvat, Chiasson, Miller)

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. If there are people who are still holding out some hope, so what? You don't need to insult people. You need to lighten up.

Where did I insult him? Show me. Right now.

Like I said if you wanna celebrate a win, go ahead. But if you wanna celebrate a win vs the worst team in the NHL while using this lone win as proof that Benning is not a deranged lunatic, don't give me that shocked Pikachu face when people call you out.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Where did I insult him? Show me. Right now.

Like I said if you wanna celebrate a win, go ahead. But if you wanna celebrate a win vs the worst team in the NHL while using this lone win as proof that Benning is not a deranged lunatic, don't give me that shocked Pikachu face when people call you out.
He’s not a deranged lunatic. He’s a not very good GM that you you seem to take perverse pleasure in by insulting him in juvenile ways. That’s what people object to.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
He’s not a deranged lunatic. He’s a not very good GM that you you seem to take perverse pleasure in by insulting him in juvenile ways. That’s what people object to.
He is just incompetent . Calling him a lunatic is absurd. It's not his fault that he has not been fired and the more he remains GM the more people will start to hate him. A smart person would step down and retain some dignity. He made good money in the last seven years.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I thought he meant I insulted another poster.

I'd much rather myself look like an idiot than Benning does, because that means he's doing a great job running the team. But the truth is he's one of the most incompetent GM in the NHL right now, and somehow people still have a hard time seeing that.

Reactions: Indiana

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I thought he meant I insulted another poster.

I'd much rather myself look like an idiot than Benning does, because that means he's doing a great job running the team. But the truth is he's one of the most incompetent GM in the NHL right now, and somehow people still have a hard time seeing that.
Way to sacrifice yourself buddy.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Personally I'd take these last 2 wins with a grain of salt, yes it will help their confidence they definitely need it, but until they start beating stronger/better teams or start out playing stronger/better teams I'm still going to say they suck, because they have sucked for so long under Green with new players coming and going, they haven't proved that they're a good team yet.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Just a few game notes from inside the arena. (Watched this game with @Melvin, which was very cool).
  • I brought a bunch of signs, as many of you will know. I had them velcroed together so that it would look like just one sign, blank on the back, but it was five surfaces in total. The security guy was not taken in and asked me to see each surface. I thought I might lose them, either because of the sheer number or because they were negative or what have you. But no, he told me he was just looking for profanity... all of them made it in!

• As noted, I was not one of the guys with the "Extend Benning" or "We [heart] Tucker Poolman" signs. Those were very funny.

• As always in Ottawa, a ton of Vancouver fans in the crowd. Everyone we passed in the concourse was supportive of the visible "Fire Benning" sign, with many clapping or hooting. One guy told me "Green needs to go first." Everyone else onside or clueless.

• And there were plenty of clueless... we always talk about the casuals in Vancouver, but obviously folks on the road who just want to go the one time a year their hometown team is in town also fit this billing. A number of people around us (a plurality of whom were Vancouver fans) didn't get any of the references and asked who "Benning" was.

• The very kind usher next to our mostly-empty row had no issue letting me set up the signs along the empty seats, but finally his curiosity got the best of him and he, too, asked who Benning was. When I explained, he was kind of surprised but empathetic (plenty of Ottawans want to fire Dorion too, of course). Then he told me how good he thought Tyler Myers was.

• There was this adorable young woman in a Canuck jersey who was cheering with her full spirit throughout the game as though there were serious stakes on the line. At the end of the game she asked to take a photo with my Aquilini tweet sign (I think she mentioned putting it on Reddit if anyone saw anything turn up there), but she too had no clue who Benning was or that the team had been mired in turmoil for the better part of 8 seasons. It was sweetly innocent. Her boyfriend immediately recognized the Aquilini tweet and was floored to learn it was a real tweet – "I thought that was just a meme!" he said.

• The craziest part? Both were from Toronto, no connection to Vancouver. The guy had switched allegiances to the Canucks when Mats Sundin arrived. That's insane to me.

• On our way out, a lone Senator fan started a "Fire DJ!" chant. When I held up my sign, he laughed, and began alternating "Fire DJ, Fire Benning". :laugh:

• Neither here nor there, but probably the loudest shout of the night belonged to some guy leaving in a cab, who very relevantly shouted to the exiting crowd: "Flames rule, Senators suck balls!"

• We put on the local sports radio station on the way back from Kanata just to marvel at the universal hilariousness of sports show callers. They all want to fire everyone too, and seem not to realize that, unlike our guys, they actually are rebuilding.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Just a few game notes from inside the arena. (Watched this game with @Melvin, which was very cool).
  • I brought a bunch of signs, as many of you will know. I had them velcroed together so that it would look like just one sign, blank on the back, but it was five surfaces in total. The security guy was not taken in and asked me to see each surface. I thought I might lose them, either because of the sheer number or because they were negative or what have you. But no, he told me he was just looking for profanity... all of them made it in!

• As noted, I was not one of the guys with the "Extend Benning" or "We [heart] Tucker Poolman" signs. Those were very funny.

• As always in Ottawa, a ton of Vancouver fans in the crowd. Everyone we passed in the concourse was supportive of the visible "Fire Benning" sign, with many clapping or hooting. One guy told me "Green needs to go first." Everyone else onside or clueless.

• And there were plenty of clueless... we always talk about the casuals in Vancouver, but obviously folks on the road who just want to go the one time a year their hometown team is in town also fit this billing. A number of people around us (a plurality of whom were Vancouver fans) didn't get any of the references and asked who "Benning" was.

• The very kind usher next to our mostly-empty row had no issue letting me set up the signs along the empty seats, but finally his curiosity got the best of him and he, too, asked who Benning was. When I explained, he was kind of surprised but empathetic (plenty of Ottawans want to fire Dorion too, of course). Then he told me how good he thought Tyler Myers was.

• There was this adorable young woman in a Canuck jersey who was cheering with her full spirit throughout the game as though there were serious stakes on the line. At the end of the game she asked to take a photo with my Aquilini tweet sign (I think she mentioned putting it on Reddit if anyone saw anything turn up there), but she too had no clue who Benning was or that the team had been mired in turmoil for the better part of 8 seasons. It was sweetly innocent. Her boyfriend immediately recognized the Aquilini tweet and was floored to learn it was a real tweet – "I thought that was just a meme!" he said.

• The craziest part? Both were from Toronto, no connection to Vancouver. The guy had switched allegiances to the Canucks when Mats Sundin arrived. That's insane to me.

• On our way out, a lone Senator fan started a "Fire DJ!" chant. When I held up my sign, he laughed, and began alternating "Fire DJ, Fire Benning". :laugh:

• Neither here nor there, but probably the loudest shout of the night belonged to some guy leaving in a cab, who very relevantly shouted to the exiting crowd: "Flames rule, Senators suck balls!"

• We put on the local sports radio station on the way back from Kanata just to marvel at the universal hilariousness of sports show callers. They all want to fire everyone too, and seem not to realize that, unlike our guys, they actually are rebuilding.

- glass half empty
- vitriol
- best team since 2014
- Gillis
- lighten up

*mic drop*

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I cursed chiasson for like 10 minutes after he took the tripping penalty in the first, which led to a goal. Sticking his stick between the legs of a player that was skating in the neutral zone. This team plays stupid. Bo took a bad hooking penalty soon after, followed by Pearson's penalty. At that point I began fast forwarding. A competent team would have buried us right then and there.
This win was an illusion

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I cursed chiasson for like 10 minutes after he took the tripping penalty in the first, which led to a goal. Sticking his stick between the legs of a player that was skating in the neutral zone. This team plays stupid. Bo took a bad hooking penalty soon after, followed by Pearson's penalty. At that point I began fast forwarding. A competent team would have buried us right then and there.
This win was an illusion
But Chiasson is a big body

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Thanks for all that. Very entertaining post.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
The very kind usher next to our mostly-empty row had no issue letting me set up the signs along the empty seats, but finally his curiosity got the best of him and he, too, asked who Benning was. When I explained, he was kind of surprised but empathetic (plenty of Ottawans want to fire Dorion too, of course). Then he told me how good he thought Tyler Myers was.
Too bad you couldn't hear how loud I laughed at this :laugh:

Reactions: Jyrki21

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I want the Canucks to win a Cup. These weren't playoff games. The issues with the team are tied directly to the management, and have led to 6/8 losing seasons (under .500 pts%). If I want the Canucks to be Cup champs, I'm cheering just as hard for a complete cleansing of management and coaching staff who have failed to produce results. I would say the reason for this lack of results in incompetence, but at the end of the day as a fan it doesn't matter the reason - this team has stunk for most of the last decade.

Hell yeah there's some vitriol. Benning and Green (and WD) have collectively wasted my time for most of eight years. Again, I want us to hoist the Cup. Why should I afford people who have demonstrated this level of failure any kind of benefit of the doubt or withhold my ire?

I choose to enjoy games where they win because it won't make a lick of difference to where this team ends up this season, or to their overall success for the last 8 seasons. These things are not up for debate. If you really are a fan of the team and want them to experience that ultimate success....well, cheering for winning games isn't nearly as important as getting rid of Benning, Weisbrod, and Green. Why should we put up with their obvious shortcomings another moment?
The organization will never win a cup in your lifetime. Certainly not with the current ownership

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Never want to downplay a win, but boy oh boy is that Senators team 'bad' right now. Just goes to prove that the improvement of young players is never 'linear'. Looks like some of their young guns have basically 'hit the wall'. Either that, or teams are figuring out a way to stop them.

But playing the second half of a back-to-back, the Canucks will take the result. Strong games from Hoglander and Podkolzin, two young guys who looked better than most of the Senators top prospects not name Tkachuk.

Not wanting to rain on the parade, but Benning appears have 'done it again' with Dickinson and Poolman. Completely devoid of skill and signed to lengthy contracts at a combined cap hit of $5.5m.

At this point, they're worthy successors to Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson and Myers.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Anyone ever have a lot of fun the night before and only wake up feeling like garbage, full of regrets?

That's today, looking at the lack of news. Should've never gone out and won yesterday.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Had a good time going to the game with @Jyrki21. I don’t have anything to really say about the game itself. I feel pretty checked out from the actual on Ice activity right now.

Jyrkis signs were awesome, and as he mentioned, there was a ton of Canucks fans at the game. Well, there really weren’t very many fans at the game at all, but the ones that were there were like 30% wearing Canucks jerseys. A lot of people expressed support when seeing the signs. A few people who didn’t understand them, but nobody who disapproved.

listening to the post game show on the radio was a treat. The post game media dudes and the Sens fans were absolutely PISSED. They were saying the rebuild was a failure, Dorion needs to be fired, they’ve run out of patience, etc. I don’t necessarily think they are wrong … but it is a funny contrast. At least they were actually rebuilding and didn’t trade away their last two first round picks! And Dorion has been a GM for less time than Benning. But somehow you don’t hear about toxic negative coverage of the team in Ottawa. Really makes you think.

Also it was funny that their radio host said something like “please don’t call in to complain about ownership. We already know, and it’s not going to change.” Lol.

Anyway, I actually think I’m going to step back for awhile. I have some hope that change will happen this season, but as everyone likes to say, we will wait and see. I’ll check in maybe after the season and hope there’s some good news. For now I feel a bit exhausted by Benning stuff and want to focus on some other things. So probably gonna stop posting for awhile and I’ll see you guys at the party when he’s finally gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad