Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Preds - 4-3 (SO) (Pettersson, Podkolzin, Joshua - Petey SO Winner)

Wholl win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Some observations from the game last night:

- Miller was a sparkplug, but there was a time in the defensive zone were he completely blew the backcheck by continually trying to run people, not sure if it was obvious on television
- The 50/50 jackpot was five bucks away from being $69,420

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Sounds like a gif of Boeser skating.:sarcasm:

on that note, petey is this guy

1678208363746.png

too soon?

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I trust you but I want confirmation from our resident goalie expert.

@mossey3535
Before the injury, Demko's skating was better but he's been working on it for awhile now. Silovs started from a really raw place and is only putting in more technical/skating aspects since he came to north america. I don't think Demko is all the way back, he doesn't look as fluid or powerful as earlier in the season. Sometimes he tries a down push and he doesn't go anywhere. So it's pretty close right now.

Technically I think Demko gets into certain positions better and quicker - he is more consistent getting his toe bridge onto the post for example. But he abuses post integration and earlier in the season when he didn't have his tracking down his game was a mess. Now he is getting away with it again but this tendency IMO is costing him in the long run.

Right now I think Silovs being built from the ground up and with more interactions with Marko Torenius (used to work with Shesterkin, etc) plays situations better than Demko - holds his edges longer, isn't an automatic RVH in bad situations. Uses the overlap more and I think he does it at the right times. Still does the Clark trackdown but in a more refined way where he reads the situation.

I always thought Demko was an excellent battler, but yes I do agree that Silovs is not as awkward when he goes for a desperation save. It's a strong part of both of their games but Silov's athleticism is a bit more natural so to speak.

We saw some good sliding closeouts on bad angle one timers this game but neither of them is as good as say prime Quick or Shesterkin in terms of a powerful push with reactive hands. Right now I like SIlov's lateral movement better, Demko I feel is very out of control in those situations.

Issue is still tracking. Demko can basically dominate on open shots - if he can see a puck on a straight up shot he basically stops it if he's on. We saw how bad he looked earlier in the season when his tracking was poor. But every other year this is his big strength. Silovs still looks like he can't keep up to certain shots, and many of them are from pretty far away.

Team defence is huge though. Canucks are miles better at it now. The first Silovs call-up I said they should send him down as soon as possible but that was before the team got better at defending. Even Delia has looked way better lately. Demko has gotten away with things that he didn't get away with earlier in the season because the team supports the goalies better.

Because he's so new technically I would like to see SIlovs in Abby another 3/4 season. If he could get 10 games next year that would be great, and then they can re-evaluate Martin as the backup. But realistically that one-way contract is going to dictate a lot of things. But I also think Silovs needs to turn his progression into dominant AHL numbers for a season.

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
Miller showing a good amount of Ryan Kesler energy and I like it, nothing wrong with it if he retires a Canuck like RK17 should’ve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad