Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers | 6-2 | WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO!

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
On the Oiler goaltending :

Yeah, the 1-1 goal is just an unlucky one.

But the 2-1 goal was the total backbreaker for that team. Yeah Suter was unguarded coming down the slot but that was a stoppable puck and Demko had already made about 5 tougher saves than that in the first 10 minutes. You could just see the whole Oiler team sag after that goal.

In surfing some Oiler threads (so fun!) it was interesting to see how they were complaining about the lack of accountability and jealously noting that Tocchet benched Miller in a win and called out Pettersson after a win where he scored 2 goals. Totally different culture developing here from what they have there.

Lots of anger about Bouchard - was caught on a lazy play on the 4-2 goal and back out there for the next shift. And Woodcroft gave a really weak answer when questioned about it.
i think he said "well we had 6 defenseman" and trailed off

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
So much wrong that they do not know where to begin. Blame the goalies. Blame the goalie coach. Don’t pay big for goalies like LV, buy Dmen. Get Dmen, forwards need to back check. It’s the coaching.

This has been multiple coaches some noted for defensive structure?
When you can't get player's to buy in with a variety of coaches there's bigger issues.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Some awesome reading these last couple pages but I just wanted to add something. I hope everybody realizes how important that sequence between Miller and McDavid was for this team. Aside from the emotional stuff that it brought it legitimately said we don't care if you're the best player in the world we are going to come at you and stand up to you.

The way Miller came down and popped him.. then simply stood Toe to Toe with him and even when attacked from behind literally just threw the guy down, that's the kind of stuff that completely galvanizes a group.
This. A previous incarnation of this team would have gone down like they had been shot and then would have gone whining to the refs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think he said "well we had 6 defenseman" and trailed off

Yeah, he looked like he had been caught with his pants down, said the 'uh we have 6 defenseman' thing, and then talked about how everyone had to be better and that he was a skill defender and they were behind. It was just all ... really weak. Polar opposite to Tocchet vibes.

Reactions: mossey3535 and God

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Did Aquilini forget his Twitter password? Where are the tweets!

I think Aquaman's smashed his computer after his dream of his buddy JEB leading the team to the promised land of Narnia was shattered.

tense-table-smash.gif

Oh and, I recall how TSN was gushing, I mean...GU, SHING, after Campbell was signed by Oilers. They were saying things like oh now they have a LEGIT goalie, they are gonna make it far! Yeah baby!

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yeah, he looked like he had been caught with his pants down, said the 'uh we have 6 defenseman' thing, and then talked about how everyone had to be better and that he was a skill defender and they were behind. It was just all ... really weak. Polar opposite to Tocchet vibes.
It was sad.. he is in over his head. He really didn't even say anything cliche good, it was really really bad and shell shocked

just22

Aug 2, 2009
I don't want to look too far ahead, but the Canucks have the Senators and the Leafs on the second half of back-to-back games, and both teams have depleted D-cores at the moment

The Canadiens are also going to be playing B2B as they’re playing the Bruins on Saturday. We could very well go 3-0 on this trip.

Reactions: canuckking1

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
+10 baby. He's been fine lately.
I still cringe when he gets the puck with pressure on him but he has been good for a few games now. Going to take a while before the trauma of his earlier play wears off and I dont shudder when he gets the puck along the defensive wall with someone on him.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, no idea. It's gotta be one of Joshua, Beauvillier, or Garland.
Garland has been one of the best two way players on the team and Tocchet loves his play. He's been absolute spark plug. There is no way he is coming out of the lineup.

Joshua and Beauvillier I think you can make a case for. (I'd say Beauvillier maybe a stronger case.)
Also could make a solid case for Hoglander, although I'd like to see him given more time to develop as he might have the highest ceiling. However, Canucks are playing for wins right now making it likely they go:

Garland Blueger Beauvillier

Lafferty Suter Joshua

Studnicka ends up in Abby.

Also if this present lineup keeps winning then they might just go with it and let Blueger continue to rehab.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Garland has been one of the best two way players on the team and Tocchet loves his play. He's been absolute spark plug. There is no way he is coming out of the lineup.

Joshua and Beauvillier I think you can make a case for. (I'd say Beauvillier maybe a stronger case.)
Also could make a solid case for Hoglander, although I'd like to see him given more time to develop as he might have the highest ceiling. However, Canucks are playing for wins right now making it likely they go:

Garland Blueger Beauvillier

Lafferty Suter Joshua

Studnicka ends up in Abby.

Also if this present lineup keeps winning then they might just go with it and let Blueger continue to rehab.

I think it would be shortsighted to sit Beauvillier and further degrade his value. He's an obvious trade candidate and you want to make the case that he is still a middle six player. He's also capable of playing higher up the lineup in a complementary role, which is important in case of injuries down the line.

Last edited:

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Can't be that much fun to tweet when all the replies are "remember when you threw your kid across the room?"
The replies were always overwhelmingly negative, if he even has feelings, Im sure he would have not read the replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Almost every video or analysis of the game last night had something along the lines of "Canucks break the Oilers" in there lmao.
:laugh:
ae5c6d-20100516-oilrig.jpg

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don't want to look too far ahead, but the Canucks have the Senators and the Leafs on the second half of back-to-back games, and both teams have depleted D-cores at the moment
Just as well…From my observation,the Canucks usually leave their skating legs somewhere over the Rockies ,for the first game on an eastern road swing.

A good demonstration of that was against the Flyers..Takes time to get the lead out.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've seen a ton of people talking about putting Blueger with Lafferty and Hoglander, and I get it, that would be best for Hoglander and Lafferty, but I am very curious to see if his presence could actually turn Beauvillier and Garland into a cohesive unit with more of an identity-- Suter has proven himself solid, but he hasn't really clicked with them despite having better offensive instincts than Blueger. Maybe his stabilizing presence defensively and straight-line thinking could do something for them. I think I would try:

Beauvillier - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Lafferty - Suter/Joshua

I think there's potential for a legitimately fantastic bottom six.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
But why in heaven's name did the Oilers quit. That goal showed they still had at least a chance of getting there.
people tend to deify the Oilers because they have McDrai but they're mortal too. They make mistakes too, they get tired. And the Canucks have a say can and can thwart them. Shot disparities like the first ten minutes in the game, a team only get to do that when things align, it's not at will.

Reactions: LuckyDay

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
But when you have a team full of superstars, can you command the respect that the team is due? Lemieux, Gretzky, and Messier all got coaches fired, intentionally and unintentionally.
Superstars are people too, just need to know what motivates them and how to use that to get what you need out of them. IMO it needs to be something of a symbiotic relationship between the players and the coaching staff.

Reactions: vanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad