Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Oilers | 6-2 | WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO! WOO!

ForecheckBackcheck

Nov 2, 2019
I wouldn’t mind sitting Garland or Joshua. Both have been inconsistent in their compete and effectiveness. The rest of the bottom six seem to bring it more consistently.
Garland has been extremely effective away from the puck, even if his offensive hasn't clicked. I would not be benching him.

Joshua has been hot and cold. Makes some great plays like the pass to Suter last night, but takes way too many dumb penalties and doesn't bring much physicality. I would bench him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
On the Edm board, they complain about Dustin Schwartz their goalie coach, who's been with the team for a dozen years now. We've seen with Marky, the goalie coach is important.
They should complain about their goalie coach....At the end of the day, they're not getting the saves, and nothing craters team confidence faster than a leaky goalie...This is precisely the same situation the Canucks were in last season.

How many years has Kenny Holland been the Oilers GM..5 years..?...and still has not properly addressed their goalie problems.

Reactions: geebaan and calnuck

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I've never seen a coach come in and just nail everything the way he has this year. Player relationships, ice-time, assistant coaches, media, etc. Just everything he's done has been seemingly masterful.
I wonder how much of it is timing too - like does Tocchet have as much success if we don't have Boudreau first? Seemed like the players were all 100% ready to buy into his systems /coverage after the "we don't know what we're supposed to do!" freewheeling vibes under Bruce.

Reactions: calnuck and Vector

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Di Giuseppe was just interviewed on 650. The guy's a riot.
I saw him in Stockton when they played The Heat. He was the only guy on Abbotsford that stood out in the loss. I think it was Rathbone and the goalie that just got sent down from the bigs that game too after a good two game stint, but it was Di Giuseppe that was the most solid.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
thoughts today:

- @MS has mentioned many times his theory on coaches being so much better equipped to being behind an NHL bench in their second stint and I think that really, really shows with Tocchet
- while this isn't the 2011 team yet, it's such a night and day difference from previous years having players with high motors that play their role effectively. watching PDG infuriate mcdavid and hoglander make ekholm cry is something that i can't remember this franchise having since the lapierre/burrows days, and miller is chanelling his inner kesler right now too
- the confidence this team has a result is how organizations like boston and chicago have operated forever - which is something i haven't seen in my lifetime as a canucks fan. even in 2011, we massacred teams offensively and had luongo, but it felt like we didn't utterly dominate teams until really the nashville series. we've already had four games this season where we've taken over a game
- hughes' effect on the game right now should put him in hart contention.
- demko being as dialed in as he is bodes really, really well for us going forward - clear example of what it could be on the other end of the ice - because it gives us a sample that bubble demko wasn't just a binnington-like once in a career hot streak
- tyler myers is playable, and dare we say it, maybe not a liability (???) at his current minutes

- this was met with utter silence on my team call this morning (lol), but my other colleague who is a canucks fan pointed out that the oilers right now feel like a worse version of the crumbling post-moore wce canucks. drai = bertuzzi - moody, surly, probably the best player on earth when he's on, but too pissy to truly be on. injured mcdavid = post-elbow injury naslund... offensively dangerous, but dead inside and as a result does not resemble the player that he was previously. nurse = jovo - tools all there, dumb as bricks. eklund = ohlund, only so much one actual good defenseman can do. campbell = clouts, skinner = auld. problem for them is they don't have the sedins coming up, although ryan macleod and holloway are probably playing that role for them right now.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
On the Oiler goaltending :

Yeah, the 1-1 goal is just an unlucky one.

But the 2-1 goal was the total backbreaker for that team. Yeah Suter was unguarded coming down the slot but that was a stoppable puck and Demko had already made about 5 tougher saves than that in the first 10 minutes. You could just see the whole Oiler team sag after that goal.
I get that. But 10 games into a season when that same goaltender was pretty damn good for you the previous season and you deflate? That, in the end, isn't a goaltending problem.

Down a couple of goals with 15 minutes left in the third and your two superstars have tantrums and take themselves off the ice. That isn't a goaltending problem.

Bad breakdowns and lack of back checking isn't a goaltending problem.

The canucks last year had horrible goaltending. It absolutely cost them points. However, the true issues with the team wasn't goaltending. I view Edmonton the same way.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Watched a few of the post game podcasts a couple were hilarious apparently canucks were mean cheaters Hoglander deserved being run through the boards Miller can't disrespect 97 lmao and refs had it in for Edmonton or van doesn't win its just funny to read and see .

Miller is playing the type of game that wins scored and took mcd right out of his mind playing solid in his face d till he loses his mind perfect game Miller)

It seems that Miller is starting to tap into a part of his potential that he didn't know he had. Not quite enforcer, not quite protector, not quite pest, or agitator, it's something I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around. It's the kind of stuff that should be brought out to full force if we make the playoffs and are serious about contending, be it this season or the future.

Reactions: quat

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Myers is top 5 in the NHL in +/-

mzl.cesmizdy.png

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
And then you have the leadership. Down by a goal or two with ample time to get back into the game and their two best players hand the game over. One gets himself removed from the game for 10 minutes. The other hands the canucks a backbreaking PP because of a multi-shift temper tantrum.
This. This actually shocked me. Its like they gave up after that goal was disallowed. That goal scared me and I still can't believe it was called back. It was the right call, and I don't think Tochet would have even though to challenge it, but the way they don't call goals kicked in these last few years I was still surprised (even more so if he didn't touch it, it would have gone in anyway).

But why in heaven's name did the Oilers quit. That goal showed they still had at least a chance of getting there.

They had a good O zone plan the way they were creating chaos in front instead of last year's plan to beat the Canucks to dump it deep and forecheck. The Oil figured out that won't work now after two games. Demko was having all sorts of rebound problems with that and the C's have desperately got to prevent that or get people out there or we're going to be in trouble with better teams. Miller messing with McDavid is a good start to that.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
IMO a good coach is going to instill a sense of calm and confidence...if the weight of expectations is that high, and i'm sure it is, that's where your coaching needs to shine. Woodcroft called a timeout after the Canucks potted 3 quick goals against the run of play and there was no sense of "lets get back to work", even after they were gifted the Draisaitl goal...we still managed to eat them up in most facets of the game.
But when you have a team full of superstars, can you command the respect that the team is due? Lemieux, Gretzky, and Messier all got coaches fired, intentionally and unintentionally.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Joshua. Doesn’t do much and takes a handful of dumb penalties
Joshua is a role player methinks. There's not many players who can do what he does. His size isn't much of a deterrent - he doesn't fight through his smallness and he doesn't play it with a chip on his should either. He's just aggressive because that's his game and he likes to play it.

Problem is is he's not that skilled and he can cost us dumb penalties for being too aggressive. OTOH he pushes others around when he's on the ice.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
A shout out to Demko in this one.....if he doesn't stand on his head in the first 15 minutes, the Canucks are down by at least three.

Looking at the NHL stats page, the Canucks have the best d-man in the league; the best center and scorer in the league; and the best goalie in the league.

You keep waiting for the bubble to burst......but what if it doesn't?

What if we just decide not to regress? *taps forehead*

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: LuckyDay and Vector

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Garland has been extremely effective away from the puck, even if his offensive hasn't clicked. I would not be benching him.

Joshua has been hot and cold. Makes some great plays like the pass to Suter last night, but takes way too many dumb penalties and doesn't bring much physicality. I would bench him.
It hasn't clicked but he's been trying and he's hungry. You can see him rushing out there like Hoglander trying to get a "me too" goal when he's on.

Marek Malik once lead the league in +/-.
"Harry" had high +/- on multi-teams IIRC and he had no offense capabilities. Yet the teams he played on considered him "solid" at best.
Didn't he score a famous shootout goal?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Who was it on the GDT that said Edmonchuk was going to come up storming for the first 10 minutes then collapse. The Canucks needed to hang on if they were going to win the game.

Boy, you called that one. I usually see a team try to pull that after a back to back. I was suspecting the Oilers would come out for revenge again but they just gave up at the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: calnuck

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I get that. But 10 games into a season when that same goaltender was pretty damn good for you the previous season and you deflate? That, in the end, isn't a goaltending problem.

Down a couple of goals with 15 minutes left in the third and your two superstars have tantrums and take themselves off the ice. That isn't a goaltending problem.

The canucks last year had horrible goaltending. It absolutely cost them points. However, the true issues with the team wasn't goaltending. I view Edmonton the same way.
Oilers have the same issues as us previous to Tocchet. Good talent (better, since they have the two best players in the league arguably) but they can't play team structure well enough to balance out the weaker aspects of the team.

Like Spencer Martin is .928 in COLUMBUS right now. Goalie success is very much a product of team structure. Neither Skinner or Campbell is a Demko-type elite talent.

Honestly, no idea. It's gotta be one of Joshua, Beauvillier, or Garland.
Beauvillier, Garland has played a bit better (but still a major wheel spinner in general and doesn't fit with any line really because he's so self-centric). Joshua has the physical element and has improved.

Reactions: quat

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Yes, the Oilers look to have overreacted to the Vegas loss last year and changed a bunch of things for the worse. Probably actually not too far away from how the Canucks started behaving post-Bruins in 2011, though more so in terms of coaching and deployment etc., but they certainly also look like a team that didn't fully recover mentally. If you look at the roster, the variance is probably due to coaching, and their stars look like they're also feeling the pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad