Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Leafs - 6-4 (Miller, Brock Boeser, Hamonic, Pearson, Chiasson, Motte)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
if not for demko tonight. the leafs could have easily won tonight. so many turnovers. boeser oh my god those two gift wrapped goals the 2nd and the third by the leafs..

lol, sounds like the typical story for every Canuck win?

Reactions: David71

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I didn’t think this was a legitimate possibility, but we are seriously back in the playoff race.

On the one hand, I’m ecstatic.

On the other hand, I’m terrified that this forces us into a long term mistake because we don’t make the necessary moves to creat cap space, and bring back some young players/prospects or picks.

With most of the guys we could wait until the off-season and it won’t really hurt us.

But, a guy like Motte, there is ZERO chance we can afford to pull a Benning and let him walk away this off-season for nothing. He’s either let it be known he’s willing to sign for a very reasonable deal or he needs to be moved before the deadline (irrespective of the playoff race).

We do not have the luxury of letting a single asset leave this organization without getting an asset back for him.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Every pregame I read how we are going to be exposed when we play a good team then they beat the good team by scoring 5 plus goals. Then I read how they only won because of Demko. Their last 3 wins were 7-1, 5-2 and 6-4. The team is scoring a lot of goals while Demko is playing great. That is exactly what our team should be doing based on our lineup. We have one UFA Motte. Let's enjoy the ride while it lasts! Team can retool in the off season I have tickets to 5 home games. I have been to 6 games already and I haven't seen a win yet! I want to see some wins in big games the last week of the year. I would love to see a playoff game or two.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
What's hilarious is the Leafs scapegoated Freddie Andersen for the series losses against the Bruins and hedged their bets on Campbell. Now Andersen is putting up stellar numbers in Carolina and Campbell is getting massively exposed.

Another observation is how much of a soft pertimeter player Mitch Marner can be. Remember the comparisons to Patrick Kane in their early career?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
“Matthews has two goals in maple leafs loss”

TSN.com

nothing infuriates me more than highlighting a losing player during a loss in a HEADLINE.

I'd noticed the headline too and had a similar initial reaction, but eventually decided that much as we Canucks fans may find it annoying, most people in the nine eastern Canadian provinces are more interested in the race between the Leafs' Matthews and the Oilers' Draisaitl for the league goal scoring lead than the Canucks winning a game in which neither team moves into a playoff position nor takes over top spot in it's division.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
To be sure, I’m not here to argue with you on what should be the strategy. I’m just pretty impressed with the turnaround, and having some knowledge of JR, he is not usually the kind of guy to think playoffs is not what it’s about.
The old war horse will likely feel it’s progressively harder to tear things down.
The cap will force the management team to, it’s really as simple as that. It all goes back to, how do you improve the team from where it is now if you don’t have cap and prospects.

you’ll need to trade a bunch of guys either at the TDL or during summer to free up cap. There is really no way around it.

Reactions: Pump n Dump and m9

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I wouldn't get too invested in what JR has said. Gillis said that he wasn't sure if the Sedins and others (Burrows most noticeably) were gonna be the centerpieces to his team and at least Gillis was the GM.

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
The cap will force the management team to, it’s really as simple as that. It all goes back to, how do you improve the team from where it is now if you don’t have cap and prospects.

you’ll need to trade a bunch of guys either at the TDL or during summer to free up cap. There is really no way around it.

It's encouraging that the success the team is having should only help in getting value back on deals.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I wouldn't get too invested in what JR has said. Gillis said that he wasn't sure if the Sedins and others (Burrows most noticeably) were gonna be the centerpieces to his team and at least Gillis was the GM.
Well there is also the other quote about the main priority is to free up cap. It’s really hard to believe that is not the main priority considering we don’t have any cap room next season especially with the Halak bonus and Holtby buyout.
Changes will have to come just so we will have enough cap to ice a full roster.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's encouraging that the success the team is having should only help in getting value back on deals.
That is true. Thing is if we can get rid of Dickinson, Pearson, Hamonic, Poolman, Myers without taking any cap back then yeah we might be able to get around not trading the better players. We’ve already seen reports that there are no interest in Dickinson and Pearson. Hamonic is f***ing annoying and probably super hard to trade away and Poolman will probably require us to take cap back. Myers is probably the only one that is tradeable but we need more cap than that.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
That is true. Thing is if we can get rid of Dickinson, Pearson, Hamonic, Poolman, Myers without taking any cap back then yeah we might be able to get around not trading the better players. We’ve already seen reports that there are no interest in Dickinson and Pearson. Hamonic is f***ing annoying and probably super hard to trade away and Poolman will probably require us to take cap back. Myers is probably the only one that is tradeable but we need more cap than that.

Even if we take a better fitting contract back for Dickinson or Poolman, I'd be satisfied. We just don't have a place for them when they return. Myers and Pearson are at least contributing, and Hamonic...I just want him gone for his vax tantrum earlier this season. Buying Dickinson, Hamonic and Poolman out brings their combined cap hit to 3.6 million (from 8.1), then between 1.9 and 0.9 after that, and we have 20 million in cap space after Halak's bonus for Boeser, Motte, Lammikko, Highmore, a back up and presumably an improvement to our D.

If we can rehome Myers and Pearson too, all the better.

Reactions: ziploc

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I like this idea of re-homing players. I might have more compassion for a player like Poolman (who I am sure is a nice guy, nothing against him personally) if I could picture him as a difficult puppy with lots of love in his heart in need of a forever home.

Reactions: Indiana and Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I like this idea of re-homing players. I might have more compassion for a player like Poolman (who I am sure is a nice guy, nothing against him personally) if I could picture him as a difficult puppy with lots of love in his heart in need of a forever home.

Rehoming is more humane then a buyout, but it's not always possible for all bad contracts unfortunately. But a buy out is better then relegating someone to LTIR Island.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Rehoming is more humane then a buyout, but it's not always possible for all bad contracts unfortunately. But a buy out is better then relegating someone to LTIR Island.
I like to think of it as an LTIR Farm, where they can run around in the fields all day with the other players.

Reactions: Cogburn

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Even if we take a better fitting contract back for Dickinson or Poolman, I'd be satisfied. We just don't have a place for them when they return. Myers and Pearson are at least contributing, and Hamonic...I just want him gone for his vax tantrum earlier this season. Buying Dickinson, Hamonic and Poolman out brings their combined cap hit to 3.6 million (from 8.1), then between 1.9 and 0.9 after that, and we have 20 million in cap space after Halak's bonus for Boeser, Motte, Lammikko, Highmore, a back up and presumably an improvement to our D.

Dickinson is a zero offense defensive winger and it’s not like he is even physical. Really not sure what value he has. I don’t see any team giving us a center or a D for him. If we get another winger back for him then that winger must have some serious issues and probably with a similar cap and term.

Pearson and Myers are contributing. Problem is we need cap and we need to free it up somehow. If Dickinson, Poolman and Hamonic are nearly unreadable, who the hell do we trade to free up cap? The logical next step is look at guys who are contributing and explore trades there. just look at the list below and at some point you will come to the conclusion that to free up cap, you have to trade guys that has value.

useless players with cap hit that sucks:
Dickinson, poolman, Hamonic

Players with so little cap it doesn’t make sense to trade:
Highmore, Lammikko, Dowling, Burroughs,

players with cap hit but has some trade value:
Pearson, Myers,

plauer with cap that has actual value:
Garland, Horvat, boeser,

Immovable objects:
Halak? OEL

high value, only trade if crazy value:
Miller

No go:
Petey, Hughes, Demko

Reactions: Grantham

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Dickinson is a zero offense defensive winger and it’s not like he is even physical. Really not sure what value he has. I don’t see any team giving us a center or a D for him. If we get another winger back for him then that winger must have some serious issues and probably with a similar cap and term.

Pearson and Myers are contributing. Problem is we need cap and we need to free it up somehow. If Dickinson, Poolman and Hamonic are nearly unreadable, who the hell do we trade to free up cap? The logical next step is look at guys who are contributing and explore trades there. just look at the list below and at some point you will come to the conclusion that to free up cap, you have to trade guys that has value.

useless players with cap hit that sucks:
Dickinson, poolman, Hamonic

Players with so little cap it doesn’t make sense to trade:
Highmore, Lammikko, Dowling, Burroughs,

players with cap hit but has some trade value:
Pearson, Myers,

plauer with cap that has actual value:
Garland, Horvat, boeser,

Immovable objects:
Halak? OEL

high value, only trade if crazy value:
Miller

No go:
Petey, Hughes, Demko

Buyouts for Dickinson, Poolman and Hamonic already have my vote. Pearson's and Myers' buy out cap hits would not make it worth enough savings to really do.

If Schmidt got a third, twice, I won't totally discount the idea of Myers getting some pittance if Ruthie and co. don't like his game for us. Pearson is worth something, if Kapanen, Debrusk, Zacha and so many other top six by default players are garnering interest.

Point is I'm not super worried for cap space going into the summer if someone isn't moved from our top tier of players, we have plan B and C ready if we can't get value for plan A.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Buyouts for Dickinson, Poolman and Hamonic already have my vote. Pearson's and Myers' buy out cap hits would not make it worth enough savings to really do.

If Schmidt got a third, twice, I won't totally discount the idea of Myers getting some pittance if Ruthie and co. don't like his game for us. Pearson is worth something, if Kapanen, Debrusk, Zacha and so many other top six by default players are garnering interest.

Point is I'm not super worried for cap space going into the summer if someone isn't moved from our top tier of players, we have plan B and C ready if we can't get value for plan A.
Problem with buyout is that you still need to replace the player with another one. So your true savings is actually not that much unless you replace all of them with min pay guys. Sure we can replace Poolman with a min wage dude but that just adds up to a little bit less than what we pay Poolman now. Ditto with Dickinson. Hamonic we might as well live with him next season if we can’t get rid of him.
Your true savings from buyout will not even cover Halak and Holtby’s cap hit.

Reactions: racerjoe

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Hamonic has a $1.25M signing bonus and only a $2M base salary next season. Canucks would have to pay almost $2.6M in a buyout while only saving 667K in cap hit, and he's actually a serviceable right-side defenceman which is the biggest hole on the team. He'll be a tradeable asset at the deadline next season. No way would I buy out his contract.

Dickinson should be tradeable with retention which is a better option. Burying Poolman in the minors would provide better net cap savings. And the buyouts would increase the team's cap hit in future years when we'd hope that they might have a better chance to compete. Buyouts should be a last resort on players over age 26.

Reactions: arttk

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Makes zero sense to buyout Hamonic. Keep him, trade him, or bury him in the minors are the only options.

Same with Poolman, at least for next year. Can re-visit the year after if needed.

Dickinson could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad