Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Leafs - 3-2 (Miller, Boeser, Lammikko)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Craig Button of TSN on the Canuck defense--"the worst in the National Hockey League". Seems a trifle harsh but on the other hand, after watching last night's excruciating 60-minutes, it's hard to argue with him.
Not Bennings fault, he only had 8 years to put a good defense together. This is all hindsight, Luongo recapture, Gillis, injuries, foresight, Abbotsford floods, and ran out of time

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Button is really out of date with a lot of his takes. I've stopped listening to him all together.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know what it is about Rogers Arena, but the Leafs just seem to find different ways to lose.....I remember last season when the Canucks came back from a three week break after half the team was hit with COVID, and still found a way to beat the Laffs on Horvat's OT winner.

I realize Leaf fans have lofty expectations of their team.....but they're not going too far with their goaltending......Campbell and Marazik won't get it done.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don't know what it is about Rogers Arena, but the Leafs just seem to find different ways to lose.....I remember last season when the Canucks came back from a three week break after half the team was hit with COVID, and still found a way to beat the Laffs on Horvat's OT winner.

I realize Leaf fans have lofty expectations of their team.....but they're not going too far with their goaltending......Campbell and Marazik won't get it done.
Doesn’t make it easier when their division rivals have Vasilevsky and Bobrovsky (when he’s on).
Not having the goaltending is how good teams lose.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Our blueline is obviously very bad but it’s pretty clearly better than Montreal’s or Buffalo’s or Arizona’s.
Any defense with Hughes is not the worst in the league. Hamronic was hilarious in a bad way last night with Hunt, Burrows and Scheen that is 4 number 7 plus dmen in top 6 so yeh I see that d as one of the worst.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Any defense with Hughes is not the worst in the league. Hamronic was hilarious in a bad way last night with Hunt, Burrows and Scheen that is 4 number 7 plus dmen in top 6 so yeh I see that d as one of the worst.
How long was Hamonic out for..10 weeks..?..What were you expecting after one practice...?.., I thought he did a good job.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This place is so entertaining whenever we play the Leafs. The saltiness of Canuck fans towards them and (especially) their fans amuses me, especially when their fans outnumber ours in our own building. The number of posters who seem peeved that we won (ruining a perfectly good tank) are also fun. The ones who want to trade everyone baffle me though; they hate on just about every player on the team bar Demko and Hughes. These poor people will never be happy...
Even some of the reporters wanted to dwell on the' negative' aspects of the game...Boudreau wasnt having any of it.

Reactions: SantosLHalpar

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
If the Leafs had Demko, they'd be a legit Stanley Cup threat.....but with their goaltending, they're just 'pretenders'.
I was thinking of what team they reminded me of. Came up with the Canucks under Burke when they kept collapsing due to goaltending. The goal scoring could never keep up with the goals against and as a fan I never felt confident the team could win in the playoffs, while they did have regular season success. I recall Cloutier's 30 plus win seasons, etc.

Last edited:

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
Without Demko this is a lottery team
Without good goal-tending most teams are lottery or pretenders... see Oilers, Leafs, as pretenders, see Flames with Markstrom. It isn't rocket science. Canucks for the most part have been equal to the task and have outplayed most opponents under BB. I wouldn't read too much into this game other than, they relied on Demko, and they played they line matched the leafs top line. While I don't like it, it is what it is.

Maybe they are lottery... if BB was coaching like 15 games in vs 25, I wonder if we still think this? Do the players have a better rythym? I wonder if this bull shit covid crap by Canada and the provinces wasn't there if they could've continued their torrid pace as they were really starting to role?

Most never factor this in... they just say the team is trash when they lose, and the team is awesome when they win.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Good to see them beat the leafs but yeah this is an old story that we can't keep repeating. Team has to shore up a bunch of structural issues.

If myers and OEL amd others are 'resurgent' and this game along with a squeaker against AZ and a drubbing by NYI are the recent results I think that speaks for itself.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This game was one of those, "won the battle but lost the war"
"DEMKO'D" that is going to become a word for exceptional goal tending that steals a game a team has no business winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad