Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Kraken - 5-2 (Motte, Hamonic, Podkolzin, Horvat, Pearson)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
No classic but at least special teams were better. Seattle picked it up in the third and let to some sloppy play by the Canucks which a better team would have punished them for.

Good

Demko - made some key saves and goaltending probably the difference. Switch goaltenders and result likely flips

Motte - first star. Makes so many smart and effective plays. Is showing more and more ability to see the play quickly. Will at least get unsung player of the year and might well get best defensive player as well

Lammikko - showing increased offensive ability and excellent two way play. Darn good thing he is RFA heading into the off season and Canucks have some control moving ahead. However, what to pay him might be difficult to determine. If he can play long term like he is now then you might consider some decent turn and decent money. Could say the same for Highmore. Right now these players are a huge bargain.

Say here that if some of the so-called big guns were playing better the team, given what they are getting out of the Lammikko line, team would be solid for the playoffs

Garland - every game is good for a few outstanding moves.

Not good

Boeser - just not a factor again. Skating remains an issue. If he is not scoring pretty much useless.

Myers - another sloppy game. Isn't skating like he was when Boudreau first took over and getting caught standing still and backing in too much defensively. Can't seem to sustain the high level of play he sometimes shows.

OEL - at best very ordinary which given his contract is not good enough. Not skating well enough to get there too often and ends up making plays under duress. Must be better than this

Hoglander - fighting the puck way too much. Kind of boutique player who can be very helpful if he can find his niche. Just not converting and ending up spend too much time fighting though traffic

Pearson - scored the open netter (no surprise there) but overall looked slow and behind the play.

Others

Miller - like lots of times -makes some huge plays , makes some big gaffes. Looked like he was laboring a bit coming off some of his shifts. Overall he is effective and certainly went to the body in this one but with a little more touch and vision he could have made so much more happen. Player you can get frustrated with but someone you would never like to play against.

Horvat - little better and good shot on his goal. Still weak in his own end and through neutral zone defensively.

Hughes - not up to his pre-covid break form. Doesn't mean he is playing bad but not carrying the play like he was earlier

Pettersson - there is no lack of try and again some positive signs. Needs to stop stick handling into turnovers and not make so many cross ice passes into traffic.

Think we can forget about a tank or high draft choice. Team looks likely to hang in the playoff race and probably just miss out. Given the team needs and the lousy prospect base, not the best scenario but as they say, It is what it is.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Juho Lammikko!....where did this guy come from? Did he drop down from out of the sky? Couldn't even get into the lineup under Green, now look at him....seems to get better every game, with some offensive chops that nobody knew he had except for maybe Boudreau.

That line of Lammikko, Motte and Highmore is 'money' and Boudreau puts them out there in all situations now.

It's funny.....for eight seasons now the Canucks have been looking for a big, fast-skating third or fourth line center, who's good in the faceoff dot can kill penalties and can chip in with a little offense, but couldn't find one for love or money. And Jimbo blew wads of money signing UFA's who simply couldn't get it done.

And then a guy who's 'throw in' in a deal and earning the league minimum might finally turn out to be their guy.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
how about that forth line eh? lamminko/highmore/motte. bb go two line to start almost every game. maybe teams interested in tyler motte would pay more? 2 2nds even though their chemistry is great. someone else can replace motte for the end of the year. the last time vancouver had an effective third/forth line that could chip in was hansen/malhotra preinjury/torres. then lapierre had to step in.

Reactions: F A N

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Lockwood looks primed to step into that Highmore role as well. If we can get some value out of the 4th line it’s found money.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
wheres scott walker? the pk seems to be dipping alot the last few weeks. no more agressive forechecking like before? still standing stationary ala green era.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Really wish this coaching staff and management team could get organized for once and ensure the team is ready to actually play at gametime. Always takes them a period to get into it.

This team can compete in the playoffs. But can the coaching staff rise to the occasion?

It's the Kraken my dude, they suck.

We won't see teams like them in the playoffs. We'd be roasted.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I cannot wait to see how they stack up against the flames. The team feels neither here nor there, either they stay competitive with a team firing on all cylinders and dislike each other, or they simply disintegrate and show management who they are against playoff competition.

Only then can they refocus with clarity.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Season records set for SOG for the Canucks, and shots against for the Kraken.

I take back the mean things I said about Lammiko earlier in the season ( He works hard, but you could saw the blade off the end of his stick and you wouldnt even notice)....He's starting to get good at face off's..

Reactions: Aphid Attraction

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Pod and Petey think the game at the same high level but they need a better finisher. Garland looked good with them and I think that can be a permanent line.

Hog can be with Dick and Horvat for a more checking two way line.
I was thinking Dickinson could be more effective if we fire him to the moon

Reactions: wonton15

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I'm surprised it's worked out so poorly for Dickinson here. He's got the tools to be an effective energy player but he doesn't seem to be playing a committed game anymore. You saw flashes of his hustle and physicality but lately he just seems to be a step slow, and with his natural skill level he's a replacement level player. I wonder if failing so spectacularly on the PK has crushed his confidence as a player.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

In true Canucks fashion, the Flames will pull a stinker and we will pull out a 3-2 SO victory. Aqua will tweet that this was "like a playoff game" and Allvin will hold on a little longer as it would be unfair to pull the playoff rugs out from under the team right now. We will eventually finish 9th in the Conference as other teams start to tank to improve their draft position.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Season records set for SOG for the Canucks, and shots against for the Kraken.

I take back the mean things I said about Lammiko earlier in the season ( He works hard, but you could saw the blade off the end of his stick and you wouldnt even notice)....He's starting to get good at face off's..
Atleast it was a funny burn… Its my favourite thing when a player proves me wrong… in a good way.

all those shotguns seem a little miss placed…

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Shout out to the 4th line of Highmore-Lamminko-Motte, they’ve been fantastic the last few games. Schenn’s also been solid.

Last edited:

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Juho Lammikko!....where did this guy come from? Did he drop down from out of the sky? Couldn't even get into the lineup under Green, now look at him....seems to get better every game, with some offensive chops that nobody knew he had except for maybe Boudreau.

That line of Lammikko, Motte and Highmore is 'money' and Boudreau puts them out there in all situations now.

It's funny.....for eight seasons now the Canucks have been looking for a big, fast-skating third or fourth line center, who's good in the faceoff dot can kill penalties and can chip in with a little offense, but couldn't find one for love or money. And Jimbo blew wads of money signing UFA's who simply couldn't get it done.

And then a guy who's 'throw in' in a deal and earning the league minimum might finally turn out to be their guy.

Well, they had Gaunce, who just surfaced on Columbus and has 5pts in 7gp. He was unloved by coach/mgmt here for some reason even though he was exactly what the doctor ordered for a big 4th line centre that never stopped working.
Full credit to Lammikko though. That entire line is playing great. Thank god they had such great mentoring from Beagle, Sutter et al.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
That mask looks familiar...
FMTkTY0UYAAhZiU.jpeg

Reactions: LaVal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad