Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets - 5-2 (Vrbata x2, Weber, Higgins, Henrik)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think it's more than coincidence that Dorsett icetime seems to coincide with the injury bug starting to hit the forward ranks. It doesn't seem that odd to me.

Perhaps Dorsett is the one injuring them though....

IntangiBo

Aug 15, 2014
I think it's more than coincidence that Dorsett icetime seems to coincide with the injury bug starting to hit the forward ranks. It doesn't seem that odd to me.

Now that's high hockey IQ.

arsmaster*

Make no mistake I am not a Ladd fan, but Kessler dropped gloves first and Ladd had no choice. And did Kessler not have the stitches from a previous encounter with Ladd?

Ladd is not a fake tough guy.

They're talking about two separate altercations with two separate players.

Ladd and Kesler dropped the mitts, fair fight. Ladd landed a sneaky left.

The hitting a guy with stitches, was him gloved punching Shane O'Brien numerous times, when the guy had a 2 inch gash in his forehead that was stitched together.

I wouldn't call him "fake tough" at all. He's the exact type of "toughness" all teams want and need.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Yeah that bothered me, if the shooter was going high he would belly flop and a goal would happen

It's been suggested that that tendency was a result of his hip injury. Lack also had a bad hip injury but seemed to have weathered it well.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Canucks aren't just a dark horse this year, they are the darkest horse. I can't recall a team this good that is so thoroughly dismissed by the rest of the league. I hope it continues to be honest, it's nice flying under the radar for once.

It is a good year for it as the Pacific has completely collapsed and the new division format means likely the first 2 rounds against it. Teams that chew up and spit out the Canucks (LA and SJ) are going to miss the playoffs. Anaheim has erratic goaltending that could fall apart in any particular game/series.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I've googled it so many times for discussion purposes I might as well make a bookmark.

:laugh:

Im fine with Dorset playing 13 a game. The more ice time for everyone is only going to benefit us in a play off run.(that is if they dont get embarrassed or undeserving of the time)
Really huge win,each time we can beat the outcast blackhawks is a good night for me.

That is exactly what's going on with the player though.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

We saw him on the 2nd line alongside Higgins and Bonino at one point. Ahead of Kassian or Hansen. I think even you would agree that's pushing it too far.

SopelFan*

Win 3 straight; complain about Dorsett every game. the guys not Sestito.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Win 3 straight; complain about Dorsett every game. the guys not Sestito.

I don't get it either. He played late in the game over Kenins, Vey and Matthias. No, he's not better than those guys but WD trusts that Dorsett won't do something stupid and he thinks those guys might. He's probably right about that.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
We saw him on the 2nd line alongside Higgins and Bonino at one point. Ahead of Kassian or Hansen. I think even you would agree that's pushing it too far.

Even me?

I'm not a fan of Dorsett but I don't necessarily think it's pushing it at all. Too often as fans we find ourselves putting the best three forwards on the first line the next three on the second line etc. In reality a coach doesn't think that way. Hansen for example has been used all year to anchor and drive possession in that bottom 6. You want him in that role even though on paper he's the "logical" guy to move up. And even then we have seen occasions where he was moved up. Kassian has been discussed ad nauseam. The only thing he needed to do was clean up his own and neutral zone play to move up and stay in the lineup. Kass also isn't particularly versatile...he's rw or bust. Most of the others forwards can switch positions to a reasonable degree.

In summary...dorsett is what he is. A guy getting 4th line ice time on this team when it's healthy that by virtue of being healthy himself has gotten some extra as 3 or 4 forwards have been injured. And honestly if that is what we have to complain about things are going pretty good!

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Even me?

I'm not a fan of Dorsett but I don't necessarily think it's pushing it at all. Too often as fans we find ourselves putting the best three forwards on the first line the next three on the second line etc. In reality a coach doesn't think that way. Hansen for example has been used all year to anchor and drive possession in that bottom 6. You want him in that role even though on paper he's the "logical" guy to move up. And even then we have seen occasions where he was moved up. Kassian has been discussed ad nauseam. The only thing he needed to do was clean up his own and neutral zone play to move up and stay in the lineup. Kass also isn't particularly versatile...he's rw or bust. Most of the others forwards can switch positions to a reasonable degree.

In summary...dorsett is what he is. A guy getting 4th line ice time on this team when it's healthy that by virtue of being healthy himself has gotten some extra as 3 or 4 forwards have been injured. And honestly if that is what we have to complain about things are going pretty good!

Well, I assumed you recognized that Dorsett was a boat anchor and shouldn't be anywhere near a 2nd line. But that's just me. :dunno:

Moving Hansen down to strengthen that 4th line in of itself might not be a bad idea. But when you move a worse player higher up it sort of negates that benefit. Not to mention especially when that player is playing more minutes too.

I don't get it either. He played late in the game over Kenins, Vey and Matthias. No, he's not better than those guys but WD trusts that Dorsett won't do something stupid and he thinks those guys might. He's probably right about that.

You could put someone like Hansen there. Burrows should always be the linemate in those situations though (plus in general). Both are better than those 4 options you mentioned.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

There are better options. Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, Horvat, Higgins, Vrbata, Hamhuis, Tanev, Edler. I mean, I'm not going nuts over Dorsett being out there, but I trust a third forward like Burrows/Hansen/Higgins a lot more than Dorsett to not do something stupid.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
There are better options. Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Hansen, Horvat, Higgins, Vrbata, Hamhuis, Tanev, Edler. I mean, I'm not going nuts over Dorsett being out there, but I trust a third forward like Burrows/Hansen/Higgins a lot more than Dorsett to not do something stupid.

But here's the fallacy... All those forwards DID play to finish the game.

Dorsett's 2nd to last shift was a 49 sec shift with 3:42 left... he got off at 2:53...

From 2:53 to to the end of the game:
Higgens - 3 shifts (G)
VrBata - 3 shifts (G)
Bonino - 3 shifts (G)
H Sedin - 2 shifts (G)
D Sedin - 2 shifts (G)
Burrows - 2 shifts (G)

Dorsett-Horvat-Hansen on for ONE 25 sec @ the 1:46 min mark.

The coach HAS to run 3 lines 3-4 minutes out.. You can't alternate 2 lines in a high intensity finish for 3 minutes.

People up in arms over this is simply ridiculous.
Just lunacy how far people will take such a minuscule issue.

You could put someone like Hansen there. Burrows should always be the linemate in those situations though (plus in general).

Hansen WAS playing with Dorsett... and Burrows played the shift right before and 20secs after Dorsett...

Matthias got himself benched for the last 13+ minutes of the game... he wasn't an option for Willie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad