Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets - 5-2 (Vrbata x2, Weber, Higgins, Henrik)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
How many fights do we see in the playoffs? looking at every successful team in the league they have 4th liners who possess the puck and arent liabilites on the ice. Dorsett is a fine 12th forward, but the ways he's being deployed is ridiuclous.
Yes, I agree and I think the coach needs to be held more accountable for this by the media.

As for your Corsi cup comment, you'd be surprised at how many teams who've won the Corsi cup ended up winning the real cup.
Correlation and causation and all that. I mean like I said, I'm poking fun- I see real value in advanced stats, but I find that statistics are often misused and there can be no greater misuse of advanced stats in hockey than their application to [should be] 12th forwards

As for your last comment I see you've just edited, Ive watched every Canucks game this season I've compiled the eye test with advanced stats to come to my decision. I have no biases, both Kennis and Dorsett are players that play on my favourite team.
Great, I'm glad we're doing the same thing. Our conclusion is plainly different, is all.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Yes, I agree and I think the coach needs to be held more accountable for this by the media.

Correlation and causation and all that. I mean like I said, I'm poking fun- I see real value in advanced stats, but I find that statistics are often misused and there can be no greater misuse of advanced stats in hockey than their application to [should be] 12th forwards

I don't think Dorsett is a bad player I simply see him as being over his head. Hes a fine 12th forward, the problem is the Canucks have 11 arguably 12 top 9 caliber players.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
>Somehow overtake Ducks and get 1st in the Pacific
>Kings get 1st WC spot
>cry ohgodwhy

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I don't think Dorsett is a bad player I simply see him as being over his head. Hes a fine 12th forward, the problem is the Canucks have 11 arguably 12 top 9 caliber players.

Well, I do believe that is putting it pretty generously :D

I think Dorsett fits because a lot of the canucks forwards lack some scrap and edge and while I think it works its also good to have a blend and an option to go to that's on the game night roster. If you check my posting history you'll see dozens of posts over the course of the season just cursing out WD over Dorsett's usage. I agree he's been overused and in too many critical situations like the PP.

I think Kenins is very valuable and has literally blown my expectations out of the water. I'm hoping he develops into a mini-Raffi Torres but he really needs to focus his energy and work on some of the tentativeness we saw tonight. That was Raffi's greatest asset in my opinion, guy was never tentative in his decisions and would just ****ing destroy people for it. Kenins needs to learn that and its something that he'll get by watching and learning lessons and then going out and playing.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Im not going to quote your post Jimson because it slows my phone down, but Kennis may be battling an injury he hasn't been the same since his injury in Buffalo. Kennis was playing at a ridiuclous pace before that, maybe that's just a sign of him dying down but I do think there's something lingering. As for the tentativeness, well he's been sctatched a bit recently and may be afraid to make a mistake.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Im not going to quote your post Jimson because it slows my phone down, but Kennis may be battling an injury he hasn't been the same since his injury in Buffalo. Kennis was playing at a ridiuclous pace before that, maybe that's just a sign of him dying down but I do think there's something lingering. As for the tentativeness, well he's been sctatched a bit recently and may be afraid to make a mistake.
Yea you might be right. I like Kenins a whole lot, I think he has a solid future but I do see value in Dorsett as well playing within his means in a smaller role. I like how Willy has deployed Vey lately and I hope he'll get it quickly with dorsett.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Agreed Veys minutes have been reduced and he's actually playing decent hockey, now. I'm hoping Dorsett will be deployed differently, the only problem is he's really ineffective with Horvat so I'm not sure how that will work.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

I wondered this as well tonight during the game, he cant seem to explode with speed like he did the first few weeks ever since that buffalo game where he was in pain and noticeably hurt his leg.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed Veys minutes have been reduced and he's actually playing decent hockey, now. I'm hoping Dorsett will be deployed differently, the only problem is he's really ineffective with Horvat so I'm not sure how that will work.

I'm hoping Richardson gets back to healthy and we can settle Richardson with Dorsett on the left

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Sedin / Sedin / Kassian
Burrows / Bones / Vrby
Higgins / Horvat / Hansen
Matthias / Richy / Dorsett

I don't love It but I guess I can get behind it.

With our luck how long do you think that lineup lasts? I give it 36 minutes playing time before someone gets hit with something. Vey and Kenins will be needed this playoff run, thats for sure. Its going to be exciting for the rookies.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I am not sure why all the Dorsett hate. He is one of my favorite players on the team. He has tonnes of energy and passion.

I can see when the Canucks have a flat shift, Willie counters with his energy line. It works wonders, and helps to play out the other team.

Granted Dorsett does have a dearth of actual talent, but he does have the heart of a lion. Sometimes you need heart to win.

He should never be on any NHL powerplay. I have no idea why they put him out there for that. Can't blame him for being sent out there.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
So 8 hits some good passes to Horvat and +/- 0 is a bad game for Kenins now?:dunno:

Just to clarify as far as im concerned, I like kenins, but good or bad i have been wondering for a few weeks if that leg is still bothering him. Nothing he can do if hes battling through an injury.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Just to clarify as far as im concerned, I like kenins, but good or bad i have been wondering for a few weeks if that leg is still bothering him. Nothing he can do if hes battling through an injury.

Still the guy battles hard.

8 hits. Kenins might not have played the best game. But, even in his worst game he's still making an impact. You can tell the guy is trying his hardest to stay in the lineup and I can respect that. By next year I can see him being a full time NHL player. Which is amazing. How often do guys go from being signed a year before, nobody knows who you are, then next year you get your first crack at the NHL and win over almost the entire fan base.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It is because he can rotate with Weber. Vrbata would never be the lone man walking the line. Adding Weber to the first unit has looked real good these last few games. All it took was 2 or 3 odd man rushes in a game for it to happen.
What a realize is that Daniel is actually doing a pretty good job at screening, he always jump at the right time when the point shot is coming.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Granted Dorsett does have a dearth of actual talent, but he does have the heart of a lion. Sometimes you need heart to win.
Mr Heart
8470854.jpg

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
me2 beat me to it.

AV has Glass
WD has Dorsett

Except Dorsett can put up points, and can play defense, and can fight, and can throw good hits.

Then there was Torres, but he couldn't control his own emotions.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Sedin / Sedin / Kassian
Burrows / Bones / Vrby
Higgins / Horvat / Hansen
Matthias / Richy / Dorsett

I don't love It but I guess I can get behind it.

Sadly, Willie seems determined to balance lines and refuses to play Burrows on his off wing. I suspect what we end up with is...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata
Matthias - Richardson - Kassian/Burrows
Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Still the guy battles hard.

8 hits. Kenins might not have played the best game. But, even in his worst game he's still making an impact. You can tell the guy is trying his hardest to stay in the lineup and I can respect that. By next year I can see him being a full time NHL player. Which is amazing. How often do guys go from being signed a year before, nobody knows who you are, then next year you get your first crack at the NHL and win over almost the entire fan base.

Thats part of the reason why I am wondering if he is playing through an injury, he finally is getting his crack in the nhl he would likely need to have a broken leg to admit to an injury, otherwise he is going to say he is fine and play as hard as he physically can.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
You are wrong on both points.

I think the Stanton-Bieksa pairing should be re-visited if for no other reason it at least worked for a bit in the past.

me2 beat me to it.

AV has Glass
WD has Dorsett

Except Dorsett can put up points, and can play defense, and can fight, and can throw good hits.

Then there was Torres, but he couldn't control his own emotions.
Tanner Glass was also a min. salary player as a Canuck. Have to put that into perspective. Would a guy like Sbisa get as much grief if he only made the same coin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad