Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Jets - 5-2 (Vrbata x2, Weber, Higgins, Henrik)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sedin / Sedin / Kassian
Burrows / Bones / Vrby
Higgins / Horvat / Hansen
Matthias / Richy / Dorsett

I don't love It but I guess I can get behind it.

Yeah I've wanted to see that 3rd line for ages now. :yo:

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sadly, Willie seems determined to balance lines and refuses to play Burrows on his off wing. I suspect what we end up with is...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata
Matthias - Richardson - Kassian/Burrows
Dorsett - Horvat - Hansen

And next year we will have another 10 players or so fighting for spots ...

Baertschi Gaunce Vey Kenins Jensen Virtanen Cassels McCann Shinkaruk Archibald Fox and Grenier ....

I know a number of these guys are extreme long shots to even play in the NHL, but 7 - 8 of them are likely to have NHL careers.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
For the most part Dorsett is being treated like the 4th line forward he is. His average icetime on the year is just that (overall and 5-on-5. He got some PP time for a bit while they tried to figure out ways to get the PP going). Even last night he was among the bottom crew in icetime (a bunch in that 13 minute range). 2 regulars are hurt which forces some to play more. This is a true 4 line team this season. No one is seeing big minutes and no one is seeing tiny minutes. This is not a team or a coach that wants a 5 minute 4th line. He wants a 10-12 minutes from the 4th line at ES.

Now I understand why some may only want to see Dorsett for those 5 or 6 minutes, but that would require a complete change in philosophy on how this team has been coached since camp opened up this year. It isn't going to happen. Especially when there will always likely be a regular hurt.

Kenins...I thought he had a pretty good bounce back game. At the same time he does seem to be hitting the wall. And that shouldn't be surprising. He's used to 45 games in a season. He's at nearly 60 right now and over 20 have been in the best, most physical league in the world. He is going to have inconsistencies and I think we're seeing that of late. I would be shocked if he isn't in the opening night lineup next October.

If they actually get healthy I'm guessing Kenins and Vey come out of the lineup. I just don't think they are ever going to be healthy.

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook
No way they can just stick Miller in as #1 if Lack continues playing like this and the team keeps winning...right??

Just means Miller doesn't have to rush to get back to full health in my view....same as the Talbot/Lundqvist situation in New York.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
For the most part Dorsett is being treated like the 4th line forward he is. His average icetime on the year is just that (overall and 5-on-5. He got some PP time for a bit while they tried to figure out ways to get the PP going). Even last night he was among the bottom crew in icetime (a bunch in that 13 minute range). 2 regulars are hurt which forces some to play more. This is a true 4 line team this season. No one is seeing big minutes and no one is seeing tiny minutes. This is not a team or a coach that wants a 5 minute 4th line. He wants a 10-12 minutes from the 4th line at ES.

Now I understand why some may only want to see Dorsett for those 5 or 6 minutes, but that would require a complete change in philosophy on how this team has been coached since camp opened up this year. It isn't going to happen. Especially when there will always likely be a regular hurt.

There's probably a middle ground somewhere between 5 and 12 minutes at ES. 8 or 9 should be fine but he's not exactly the sort of player who'll give you more utility the more you play him. Lately he had been getting like 13 minutes each game at ES which is frankly absurd.

Seeing him out there defending a 1 goal lead in the final few minutes is another beef which I would say is valid too. But seeing him finally being put on the 4th line and getting the minutes reflective of one is a start. His line has been much more effective too with other guys like Vey who belongs there as well. It's baby steps... they're just very slow baby steps, that's all.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Never thought I'd see the day when Henrik has more goals than Daniel and Daniel has more assists than Henrik.
Looking at the point leaders, both are now in the top 15. Daniel is tied with Getzlaf.
Not bad for a couple of over the hill guys. :)

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Never thought I'd see the day when Henrik has more goals than Daniel and Daniel has more assists than Henrik.
Looking at the point leaders, both are now in the top 15. Daniel is tied with Getzlaf.
Not bad for a couple of over the hill guys. :)

Tied for 3rd and 5th in assists. Nice. Not inconceivable that one of them could win the scoring race again, if they go on a tear to finish the season.

And nobody is really over a point a game. Don't think there has ever been a scoring race this low with so many people who could win it with 10 games to go.

arsmaster*

There's probably a middle ground somewhere between 5 and 12 minutes at ES. 8 or 9 should be fine but he's not exactly the sort of player who'll give you more utility the more you play him. Lately he had been getting like 13 minutes each game at ES which is frankly absurd.

Seeing him out there defending a 1 goal lead in the final few minutes is another beef which I would say is valid too. But seeing him finally being put on the 4th line and getting the minutes reflective of one is a start. His line has been much more effective too with other guys like Vey who belongs there as well. It's baby steps... they're just very slow baby steps, that's all.

All well and good but dorsett's been over 13 minutes on average since early December.

Throw out his 8 minute games from the start and some of his 15+ minute games and he's like 13-14 minutes in average over a large spread.

10-12 ES minutes is too much for a 4th line. I have no issue with that total but not all ES. Your taking too much ES Icetime away from your good players this way. 12 mins at ES makes it pretty tough to get your other lines much more than that. For me that's a problem.

Like you said. Baby steps. Willie seems to be adapting. Our most recent games has a nicer spread IMO. 4th line is playing slightly less. More shifts early. Less shifts late. Hope it continues.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Ladd is such a fake tough guy [end quote]

Ya right...
That's what Kessler said with blood running down his face
Wait, Ladd is a "real" tough guy because he can hit a guy in his fresh stitches? :laugh: I know it's a long time ago, but Ladd showed himself to be a real d-bag with that.

>Somehow overtake Ducks and get 1st in the Pacific
>Kings get 1st WC spot
>cry ohgodwhy
Kind of like the Canucks' reward both years they won the President's Trophy was getting the absolutely toughest Western Conference opponent in the first round.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
All well and good but dorsett's been over 13 minutes on average since early December.

Throw out his 8 minute games from the start and some of his 15+ minute games and he's like 13-14 minutes in average over a large spread.

10-12 ES minutes is too much for a 4th line. I have no issue with that total but not all ES. Your taking too much ES Icetime away from your good players this way. 12 mins at ES makes it pretty tough to get your other lines much more than that. For me that's a problem.

Like you said. Baby steps. Willie seems to be adapting. Our most recent games has a nicer spread IMO. 4th line is playing slightly less. More shifts early. Less shifts late. Hope it continues.

Damn, had no idea it went all the way back to December but good thing people are tracking that sort of thing.

arsmaster*

Damn, had no idea it went all the way back to December but good thing people are tracking that sort of thing.

I've googled it so many times for discussion purposes I might as well make a bookmark.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
This was the most impressive win by Lack since he took over for Miller for me....

He showed me the one thing i felt he was has missing from from his game... The ability to keep the puck out in critical times of the game with the big save.

He was spectacular in some of his stops.... the breakaway and then buckling down in the 3rd was awesome to see!

Great win... and great game from Lack for keeping them in it and then keeping them ahead...

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
This was the most impressive win by Lack since he took over for Miller for me....

He showed me the one thing i felt he was has missing from from his game... The ability to keep the puck out in critical times of the game with the big save.

He was spectacular in some of his stops.... the breakaway and then buckling down in the 3rd was awesome to see!

Great win... and great game from Lack for keeping them in it and then keeping them ahead...

As great of a goalie Luongo was, he had issues with letting in the last minute tying goal. Lack has this thing where he gets scored on and all of a sudden hes like ok I have to try harder. By the end of the game hes on fire.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
As great of a goalie Luongo was, he had issues with letting in the last minute tying goal. Lack has this thing where he gets scored on and all of a sudden hes like ok I have to try harder. By the end of the game hes on fire.

Like the rest of the team Lack seems to get stronger as the game goes on. It's nice to know he's not going to unravel if he lets in an early goal.

Hielo Grande

Nov 7, 2007
vallarta
Wait, Ladd is a "real" tough guy because he can hit a guy in his fresh stitches? :laugh: I know it's a long time ago, but Ladd showed himself to be a real d-bag with that.

Make no mistake I am not a Ladd fan, but Kessler dropped gloves first and Ladd had no choice. And did Kessler not have the stitches from a previous encounter with Ladd?

Ladd is not a fake tough guy.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Make no mistake I am not a Ladd fan, but Kessler dropped gloves first and Ladd had no choice. And did Kessler not have the stitches from a previous encounter with Ladd?

Ladd is not a fake tough guy.

Ladd is a beast, the guy can hit, score, skate, fight and set up plays. To me he's in the same mold as Bieksa, people call them "fake tough guys" because they're not stupid enough to fight 4th line scrubs. Yet both can definitely hand out an ass whooping to a similar sized player in a scrap.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Canucks aren't just a dark horse this year, they are the darkest horse. I can't recall a team this good that is so thoroughly dismissed by the rest of the league. I hope it continues to be honest, it's nice flying under the radar for once.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Canucks aren't just a dark horse this year, they are the darkest horse. I can't recall a team this good that is so thoroughly dismissed by the rest of the league. I hope it continues to be honest, it's nice flying under the radar for once.

Tied for first in ROW in the West with Nashville. Tied for 4th overall.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Ladd is a beast, the guy can hit, score, skate, fight and set up plays. To me he's in the same mold as Bieksa, people call them "fake tough guys" because they're not stupid enough to fight 4th line scrubs. Yet both can definitely hand out an ass whooping to a similar sized player in a scrap.
Fake tough guy is Dustin Brown. His last name suites him given that it's the color of something else....

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Im fine with Dorset playing 13 a game. The more ice time for everyone is only going to benefit us in a play off run.(that is if they dont get embarrassed or undeserving of the time)
Really huge win,each time we can beat the outcast blackhawks is a good night for me.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Yeah, it was one of those games for Lack, wasn't it? It wasn't a spectacular game in which he's robbing guys left, right and center and making 40 saves (see Boston game). It was a relatively quiet game in which he made some very good saves at very key moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad