Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Isles - 4-3 (OT) | Oh New Captain, My New Captain!

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Oh for f***s sakes, I forgot to include the original quote and now I can't add it after media is in the post.

McDavid being in Edmonton is a crime

The league is trying to grow the game in the US yet the best player is in a place that’s closer to Polar bear than any big US markets

Drai is going to leave and McDavid will follow right after

• Haha
Reactions: andora

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
They still make riot jokes, which is even funnier because a Stanley Cup Final riot means the oilers have actually accomplished something aside from McDrai existing. Would also probably improve the liveability of downtown Edmonton too if we’re being honest.

Meh, they tore apart Whyte Street in 2006. Basically a riot for Edmonton.

But that was nearly 20 yrs ago so it’s hard to forget. lol

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
stars were obviously the MVPs (and i disagree on your boeser take for this game, thought he was fine), but joshua deserves mention - drew 2 penalties and played hard at evens. it's what we need out of him every night playing heavy and drawing retaliation calls.
Yea that whole line of Garland-Blueger-Joshua was really good tonight. Created lots of chances and drew lots of penalties.

Garland is pretty effective driving a line on the bottom 6, providing a little bit of speed, tenacity and skill. Good teams have depth scoring and Garland can provide that. If only he cost a little bit less on the cap, he would've been a perfect fit. As is, I hope they don't just give him away for free, and dump Beau if they need cap space.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Honestly the Canucks got lucky in this one. Demko was shakey, the defense was porous, and the refs lent a helping hand for the Canucks in this game.
Really hoping that Kuz is okay, that Miller shot to the face was devastating.

How about that slapper from Hronek? I could of sworn that was Salo. Amazing.

The Canucks are first in the West. Hughes, Miller and Pettersson are tied for first in scoring. Boeser is first for goals. What could be better?!

Top put the cherry on the top, Captain Hughes buries it on a breakaway from a beautiful pass from JT.

All amazing things from a highly entertaining game, but I think we got lucky last night. The Canucks definitely need another capable defenseman who can play in the top 4. No more of this Hughes/Juulsen BS.

What a great day, bring on Calgary.

this is my take too. great fun entertaining game, and full value for the comeback and win, but demko was shaky and we were giving up some nice chances. a better offensive team than the isles would have put the boots to us. plus, apart from the garland line, it seemed as if not much was happening for us 5 on 5 until the miller line picked up in the third.

but we were/are just lethal on the pp. i'd actually be curious what our scoring rate is like compared to other teams in all situations other than 5 on 5. we seem to be a very dangerous team 4v4, 3v3, 5v4 and 6v4 (but not particularly at 5v3).

Reactions: calnuck

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I love reading this board after a win like this; I kept thinking how different the commenting would have been if the refs called 5 straight penalties against us with the 5th and 6th being on the same play creating a 2 minute 5-on-3. Strangely I don't remember a single complaint about the refs tonight. We got lucky, pure and simple. I thought Sorokin outplayed Demko by a bit and the whole "Pettersson is playing injured" narrative suggests to me that no player has ever played more games hurt for us than he. I'm really liking Blueger and the Hughes goal is what I get for telling my wife seconds before what a muffing of a shot he has. I was glad to see Bo get a goal which was the perfect erect middle finger to the cretins who were booing him. So much of the discussion here has nothing to do with the game at hand and much to do with the collective neurosis that infects a vocal but, IMHO, small minority of "fans" here. To these sad people I must remind you that it is not yet December...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't mind the goal song, the "woos" are weird and annoying though

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
@Billy Kvcmu

View attachment 769050

View attachment 769043

* Yes, polar bears can range up to 400km inland but this inland ranging varies across their spatiotemporal distribution, therefore I selected the nearest Arctic coastline* as a proxy for polar bear presence.

*The island of Newfoundland has been excluded due to the seasonal and sporadic appearance of polar bears on the island.
My god what kind of shitty ass country’s capital is only 700km to Polar Bear.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I love reading this board after a win like this; I kept thinking how different the commenting would have been if the refs called 5 straight penalties against us with the 5th and 6th being on the same play creating a 2 minute 5-on-3. Strangely I don't remember a single complaint about the refs tonight. We got lucky, pure and simple. I thought Sorokin outplayed Demko by a bit and the whole "Pettersson is playing injured" narrative suggests to me that no player has ever played more games hurt for us than he. I'm really liking Blueger and the Hughes goal is what I get for telling my wife seconds before what a muffing of a shot he has. I was glad to see Bo get a goal which was the perfect erect middle finger to the cretins who were booing him. So much of the discussion here has nothing to do with the game at hand and much to do with the collective neurosis that infects a vocal but, IMHO, small minority of "fans" here. To these sad people I must remind you that it is not yet December...

i sort of agree. i have never seen one player draw two penalties in a sequence before, and i have seen edler many times get his money's worth and pile on the cross checks after taking one penalty. but both calls were legit and blatant and the first interfered with a scoring chance. there was also another potential call against petersson on the entry that they let go just before and at least one other player hauled down in the 6 on 5. the isles were getting pretty desperate leading up to that point and were taking advantage of the previous pp imbalance to just mug guys thinking the refs would not call another. i think they earned the call.

and bo's goal was a flutterer in off a pad so i wouldn't call it "erect"

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
They didnt even see him as a one time option for like the first several games, he needs to be given those looks more he has a howitzer.

Was that the hardest shot in team history?
I saw on Twitter that it was the hardest recorded shot in an NHL game. Over 107mph is bonkers

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
That Hronek goal reminded me of Sami Salo - instant rush of nostalgia

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
So you're suggesting that Petey is chronically injured all the time? Naslund apparently had the same problem IIRC...
No, I'm saying that Ohlund/Salo logged a ton of games while injured, is all.

But I guess it's vogue to be hating on those dirty Euros again...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
No, I'm saying that Ohlund/Salo logged a ton of games while injured, is all.

But I guess it's vogue to be hating on those dirty Euros again...
Not hating on Petey at all; as usual you miss my point. Which is that the favoured sons of this franchise never have bad or indifferent games, it's always because they are secretly nursing some mystery injury that makes any sub standard play not their fault. When Lou pulled his groin in an afternoon road game not only was that the primary excuse for any crummy play he might have produced for about a year it also created a collective neurosis in a segment of this fanbase about... afternoon start road games that permeates to this day. Funny I never ever hear anybody suggesting that Myers bad play might be because of some unknown mystery injury. An excuse, pure and simple.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Screenshot_20231116_170908_Facebook.jpg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not hating on Petey at all; as usual you miss my point. Which is that the favoured sons of this franchise never have bad or indifferent games, it's always because they are secretly nursing some mystery injury that makes any sub standard play not their fault. When Lou pulled his groin in an afternoon road game not only was that the primary excuse for any crummy play he might have produced for about a year it also created a collective neurosis in a segment of this fanbase about... afternoon start road games that permeates to this day. Funny I never ever hear anybody suggesting that Myers bad play might be because of some unknown mystery injury. An excuse, pure and simple.

It's almost like guys who have years of track record of playing terrific hockey are given the benefit of the doubt and guys who are shit players are not.

Also in Pettersson's case Tocchet has mentioned - twice - that he's banged up and nursing an injury so this isn't a 'secret mystery injury' invented by fans.

I do agree about the afternoon game injury thing. That's dumb as hell.

Reactions: Hansen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad