Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Islanders - 6-5 (Pettersson x2, OEL, Boeser, Aman, Beauvillier)

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Big fan of what Tocchet has brought so far, though to be fair it's easier for a new coach to do some of the things he's done. Harder to do a few years down the line when relationships are deeper.

Thought his non-comment about Boeser was interesting. Was basically teed up to compliment Brock and didn't do that.

Glowing praise for Bear too. I thought he did some good things as well yesterday. Tough spot for all the d-men with the injuries and Bear held up better than most.

From all we've heard so far Boeser is not a Tocchet-type player. I can't answer why but it looks like he's mailing it in on most shifts.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
It's still remarkable how Boeser is an effective point producer after that back injury that would have left most people with chronic issues. HIs wrist issues have also slowed down his shot.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Or he's just not any good. Outside of a better than average shot, what else is he good at? I mean he's a stand-up individual but on the ice he's a complete liability.

Man I don't even think he has a better than average shot anymore. Haven't seem him use it in like 1.5 years it feels like. Maybe that's a function of being too slow to be in position/make the space to get the shot off, but his shooting mojo has dropped off the map.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Man I don't even think he has a better than average shot anymore. Haven't seem him use it in like 1.5 years it feels like. Maybe that's a function of being too slow to be in position/make the space to get the shot off, but his shooting mojo has dropped off the map.

I think it has to do with mobility and not being put in those situations anymore, like on the half wall on the PP.

He can still blow it by a goalie when given the chance... he just doesn't get or get to those chances anymore.

Reactions: geebster

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think it has to do with mobility and not being put in those situations anymore, like on the half wall on the PP.

He can still blow it by a goalie when given the chance... he just doesn't get or get to those chances anymore.

I'm sure a team could get more out of him with PP usage as a more stationary shooting option but yeah even that is not worth his contract.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
An important night for tank nation. I hope Bo gets his flowers tonight.

giphy.gif

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019

Honestly reminds me of older Naslund. The shot existed but you never saw it because he didn't have the speed or size to make his own shots. The lackadaisical play on puck retrieval and defence is reminiscent of old Nazzy too.

Boeser is one of those guys who, when he's scoring, gets energized and is one of the more reliable guys with the puck, making great plays but when he isn't scoring, he has minimal impact on the game. If he was consistent with his energy and effort (and possibly confidence) he would be so good.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Honestly reminds me of older Naslund. The shot existed but you never saw it because he didn't have the speed or size to make his own shots. The lackadaisical play on puck retrieval and defence is reminiscent of old Nazzy too.

Boeser is one of those guys who, when he's scoring, gets energized and is one of the more reliable guys with the puck, making great plays but when he isn't scoring, he has minimal impact on the game. If he was consistent with his energy and effort (and possibly confidence) he would be so good.
So you are saying he is like me as a beer league hockey player that when I finally score a goal I play a little bit better that day. That's sadly how I've felt watching Boeser as well, it is too bad because he's had glimpses in the first few years of being pretty awesome.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Sorokin is a machine. Might be the best goalie in the league if you disregard the team around him. Should be a hard game

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hopefully we see a good game..Canucks keep it close..and we get the desired result in the end....I'm assuming that Delia gets the start.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Why do tank people want to lose this one? I'd rather they win that one and dial back the Isles run a bit.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
All things considered, this won't be just an expected loss, but probably an UGLY one.

Hope Petey, Pods, and Kuz score to ease the burn.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Why do tank people want to lose this one? I'd rather they win that one and dial back the Isles run a bit.
Because the important pick lottery wise is the canuck pick. They have a chance to get to the bottom 5 and even bottom 3 (Only 4 points up on 30th).

Reactions: Lindgren

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Because the important pick lottery wise is the canuck pick. They have a chance to get to the bottom 5 and even bottom 3 (Only 4 points up on 30th).

I guess. I think realistically they are pretty locked into a top ten pick with a 3%-5% chance of Bedard and I assume the odds are pretty low of anything other than that.

The Isles going on a run and that 13th pick turning into like the 26th pick would be awful.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hope it doesn't happen tonight.....but there's bound to be some ugly as the Canucks limp down the stretch.

But it can happen when you're team with really nothing to play for matched up against a team desperate for every point in the standings.

Islanders with a huge edge in goal.....heck everybody who plays the Canucks these days has a huge edge in goal. But even with Horvat in the lineup, the Islanders don't have the firepower of the Devils or Rangers.

I'm guessing another OT game tonight.

I

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We're 4 points away from 3rd last. I'd forfeit the entire Horvat package to draft 3rd this year.

Reactions: geebaan

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Horvat hatty + throws hit on Schenn and injures him and then flips the bird at Allvin/JR in pressbox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad