Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Coyotes - 3-2 (OT) (Horvat x2, Boeser)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's the only other time he's been scratched.
Yeah,but there was no prior history there..He wasnt a top 6 sniper,Calder runner up, allstar...

He was a rookie, out of college that was tiring out at the end of the pre season.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Hopefully it's just a matter of time for EP to get that man strength, though some guys never really do. Being positionally sound is great n all, but at a certain point, you're gonna have to move someone by force. He's been getting pretty owned and water skiing the last couple games. Hughes too, but he is younger and has that low gravity.

Petey is playing like he is in some kind of sulk. Does this too much for my liking.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boeser being scratched is a 'good news', 'bad news' story. While he deserves to be parked, his on-ice performance and hefty contract, makes him almost untradeable.

And as bad as Boeser has been in the last three games, the guy who really deserves to 'sit' imo is Garland. Another $4.9m contract that's also rapidly entering the 'untradeable' category.

Once you get past Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat and Miller on some nights, there isn't a single player on this current roster who's playing anywhere near their pay grade.

But I guess that's the conundrum of a 'capped out' team with a long list of bad contracts.

Reactions: Grantham

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Boeser being scratched is a 'good news', 'bad news' story. While he deserves to be parked, his on-ice performance and hefty contract, makes him almost untradeable.

And as bad as Boeser has been in the last three games, the guy who really deserves to 'sit' imo is Garland. Another $4.9m contract that's also rapidly entering the 'untradeable' category.

Once you get past Pettersson, Hughes, Horvat and Miller on some nights, there isn't a single player on this current roster who's playing anywhere near their pay grade.

But I guess that's the conundrum of a 'capped out' team with a long list of bad contracts.
That damn Gillis saddling JR with all that garbage.

signed, CDC

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Scratching Boeser was the most obvious decision of all time.

Bruce gave him a “show me you can do it” opportunity after Boeser had suggested frustration with his role. He didn’t last more than half the game. He looked so awful.

I don’t think Punch disagrees because I was spamming that they need to scratch him in the last GDT.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
This why lack of foresight is so frustrating. Now that all our player values have cratered this season there's trade talks when a bit of foresight could identified that the roster just wasn't that good and these trades could have been done last year on the upswing.

Play good=double down on roster, play bad=trade away roster is precisely how you end up buying high, selling low and getting nowhere.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Boeser can’t transition puck.
He has one of the lowest “controlled exit” percentages in the league.

If he could do that he would be serviceable.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even in his salad days as a rookie, Boeser was at best an 'average' skater. But with all the injuries it looks to me that he's a step slower than he was. This might not be as big a problem if the league hadn't gotten faster every single season.

As other posters have stated, if Boeser could at least transition the puck out of his own zone he might still be in the lineup. But of all the lackluster forwards they have along the wall, Boeser might be one of the worst.

If you're Boudreau, all you can hope for is that he gets better. His contract makes him untradeable. But he isn't getting any younger.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Jimmy Pattison was/is a beast for production out of his employees and very hands on.
After the 1972–73 WHA season ended, the Philadelphia Blazers' owners sold the team to Jim Pattison who moved the team north of the border to Vancouver, British Columbia where it was named Vancouver Blazers.

Pattison knew that in order to compete with the Vancouver Canucks of the NHL, who shared the same arena, he needed to attract a major star to the team, as Andre Lacroix, who had led the league in scoring the previous year, left to join the New York Golden Blades, while the team's (and league's) highest-paid player, Derek Sanderson, had been forced out at the end of the season in a major embarrassment to the team and league. Pattison tried to sign Boston star Phil Esposito, offering him $2.5 million over five years. Esposito decided to stay with the Bruins for less money.

The team performed poorly in their first year, finishing with a record of 27-50-1; despite this, Vancouver was such a strong hockey town that the Blazers actually led the WHA in attendance, drawing 9,356 a night, more than 50% above the average of the other eleven clubs in the league.
CanucksRegular season[4]Postseason[5]
SeasonConferenceDivisionFinishGPWLT[6]OT[7]PtsGFGAGPWLGFGAResult
1973–74East7th
78​
24​
43​
11​
59​
224​
296​
Did not qualify
1974–75Campbell1st
80​
38​
32​
10​
86​
271​
254​
5​
1​
4​
9​
20​
Lost in Quarterfinals, 1–4 (Canadiens)[8]
SeasonTeam NameGPWLTPTSGFGAPIMFinishPlayoffs
1973–74Vancouver Blazers78275015527834510475th, WesternDid not qualify
1974–75Vancouver Blazers78373927625627010754th, CanadianDid not qualify
Franchise totals39517420714362138114985278
Jim Pattison's record with the Vancouver Blazers vs the Canucks

Last edited:
Reactions: theguardianII

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Boeser is just too slow and not hard enough on the puck. He wants to be the guy, but he can't move quick enough around to do that. I think this is a hard lesson for him, hopefully he can salvage the season and come back prepared for next year. Maybe living in a party house with a bunch of his friends in Minnesota isn't the way to go in the offseason.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I want to make sure this gets taken the right way, but I would rather have scratched Stillman and had Boeser play left d.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I want to make sure this gets taken the right way, but I would rather have scratched Stillman and had Boeser play left d.
I think I'd rather have Stillman play forward in Boeser's place instead and run with 5D

It might even be a net positive if they just switch positions

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think I'd rather have Stillman play forward in Boeser's place instead and run with 5D

It might even be a net positive if they just switch positions

I mean they have both been pretty terrible, but I just can't understand what Bruce sees in Stillman. Brock has been bad, but somehow defying all odds he has put up points. He doesn't deserve to be in the lineup, but there is bad, then there is what Stillman has been. Can we just play two players short and double shift Petey and looks at the rest of the defence... maybe Hughes, or well maybe Bear.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Boeser has been prison booty since the start of the season, the past couple games are shockingly terribad.

Let this be a lesson to him

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Boeser is just too slow and not hard enough on the puck. He wants to be the guy, but he can't move quick enough around to do that. I think this is a hard lesson for him, hopefully he can salvage the season and come back prepared for next year. Maybe living in a party house with a bunch of his friends in Minnesota isn't the way to go in the offseason.

He will never change. Too lazy. He'd rather get fat and watch Grey's Anatomy all day

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I understand sending a message but there’s no way BB6 is more unproductive than Aman , Hoglander , etc. he’s on pace for 70 points.

Boeser has been prison booty since the start of the season, the past couple games are shockingly terribad.

His body and mind are both broken. I feel bad for the guy to be honest. He was never a great skater and then breaking his back really f***ed it up. His skating is honestly below NHL level and average for AHL level.

He doesn’t seem the type to get fired up after a healthy scratch. That would work for say, JTM9 perhaps. BB6 will likely sulk and just be less productive afterwards.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
He played last game v LA - had two assists. Don't see why he wouldn't be in there tonight.

Wasn’t in the projected line-ups and has been a semi-regular scratch. With Ritchie and Kaddish scratched, he’s definitely in the line-up now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad