Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Coyotes - 3-2 (OT) (Horvat x2, Boeser)

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
This Boeser touchy feely crap has to end put the guy on waivers

Not really sure of the place to put this - but the idea that they were going to scratch Boeser on Hockey Fights Cancer Night and that Boudreau wasn’t even aware that was happening isn’t a good look on this team.
Whooooooooo cares? Is this a charity or a hockey team that has been garbage for a decade?

Reactions: John Belushi

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Not really sure of the place to put this - but the idea that they were going to scratch Boeser on Hockey Fights Cancer Night and that Boudreau wasn’t even aware that was happening isn’t a good look on this team.

This team/league seems to have some sort of off-ice thing every game these days. Is it really on the coach to keep track of all that and dress a lineup based on that?

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
This team/league seems to have some sort of off-ice thing every game these days. Is it really on the coach to keep track of all that and dress a lineup based on that?
I completely prefer meritocracy.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I understand Gringo’s point about it being a meritocracy, and under other circumstances, would be totally fine with the decision to sit Boeser (I would have started with someone else when it comes to sitting veterans, but Boudreau is trying to push whatever buttons he has). I think, in light of everything Boeser has gone through, preparing to sit him on this night is a bad look for an organization that has had too many bad looks of late, during both Benning’s tenure and the current one.

But do I think our head coach should be aware of what’s happening with the team and the building on a given day? Yes. I do feel that should be something he knows.

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
I understand Gringo’s point about it being a meritocracy, and under other circumstances, would be totally fine with the decision to sit Boeser (I would have started with someone else when it comes to sitting veterans, but Boudreau is trying to push whatever buttons he has). I think, in light of everything Boeser has gone through, preparing to sit him on this night is a bad look for an organization that has had too many bad looks of late, during both Benning’s tenure and the current one.

But do I think our head coach should be aware of what’s happening with the team and the building on a given day? Yes. I do feel that should be something he knows.
Players on this team have all the power. Coach can’t even make personnel decisions.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Honestly, I think it worked out well...Boeser deserved to be scratched, cancer awareness night or not...this seemed to have energized him and maybe it's the kick in the butt he needed? Everyone gets into ruts, some last longer than others but his career has been in somewhat of a free fall after starting so strong...he needs to get back on track, unfortunately it sometimes takes a major change to make that happen...I really hope it does though, he seems like a genuinely good person.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Do you think he should dress a lineup based on that though?

I can see the argument that he should be in tune with his team/players and know that this was a bad idea given the circumstances. I disagree the lineup should be based on that though, but it's a fair argument.

I also think Brock could have proven something by coming out looking like a different player this game. He didn't to me. Looked like the same guy who was going to get scratched. Nice shot/goal of course, but was he noticeably different this game?

My takeaway from all this is probably different than most. You want people to pay attention or be aware of nights that are special? Stop making every game some new event. I miss the days when the Canucks telethon was a big deal because it was different. Now, every game they have a different jersey to support some subset of fans or cause and it cheapens the nights that are supposed to be special.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Do you think he should dress a lineup based on that though?

I can see the argument that he should be in tune with his team/players and know that this was a bad idea given the circumstances. I disagree the lineup should be based on that though, but it's a fair argument.

I also think Brock could have proven something by coming out looking like a different player this game. He didn't to me. Looked like the same guy who was going to get scratched. Nice shot/goal of course, but was he noticeably different this game?

My takeaway from all this is probably different than most. You want people to pay attention or be aware of nights that are special? Stop making every game some new event. I miss the days when the Canucks telethon was a big deal because it was different. Now, every game they have a different jersey to support some subset of fans or cause and it cheapens the nights that are supposed to be special.

Again, usually, no. But this felt like a Luongo / Winter Classic scenario to me. You could have picked a lot of other nights to tell Boeser he wouldn’t be there. There is a human element to this, and players and agents talk and opinions are formed on organizations based on how they handle events like this. I think a situation like this goes well beyond “dressing your best roster” each night.

Again, that’s my two cents on the matter. I respect that you guys hold a different view on it, and I can see your guys’ points, too.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Disagree here.

This team isn’t a charity and off-ice promotions shouldn’t determine who dresses.

And this is a lazy player who badly needed a wakeup call, and this might have been the best way to do it. Coddling him for the last 2 years hasn’t worked, so piss him the hell off.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Disagree here.

This team isn’t a charity and off-ice promotions shouldn’t determine who dresses.

And this is a lazy player who badly needed a wakeup call, and this might have been the best way to do it. Coddling him for the last 2 years hasn’t worked, so piss him the hell off.

I dont know man.

This is like sitting JT Miller on locker room cancer awareness night. Just doesn't feel right.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think the Sedins are scheduled to honored 3 more times yet and minor hockey and LBGT twice and Punjabi night and Save the Whales day and Kids day 4 more times and basically appeal to whomever they can get in the arena that will cheer and not care about the product on the ice.

Maybe a mini concert before a game too, Then will come the car giveaway and free tickets if you see lightning and hear thunder or after the first period then .... ?

Distractions.

HEY THEY WON!!!!
They defeated Arizona. They took advantage of 2 of 8 power plays to win the game 3 - 2 in OT and push their home record to 4 wins and 7 losses.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He has not been here for 4 seasons.

He has been here for 3.

His 71 point season was abhorrent to watch, just like his play this year.

Okay. So for 2 of the 3 seasons he's been here, he's paced for 85+ points and PPG. So basically 2 of the 3 years he's been here, he's been excellent?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Remember when Torts scratched Luongo in the Winter Classic and people tried to justify it?

Same vibes with Boeser and this game. It indicates that there's a serious disconnect between the coach and the players, even if Boudreau wasn't aware of its significance to Boeser.

When a "players' coach" is no longer finding ways to connect with the players, what do you do? I think management team is accurate when they say that this team has no system to fall back on. Boudreau needs to get this team winning in order to land a new job next season and to do that he's going to lean heavily on the vets instead of the players that the team needs in the future.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
just watched the highlights—look how happy everyone on the ice is when brock scores

that’s why management rolled it back with him this summer. and if there was a culture in that room that was worth protecting, it would have been the correct move.

in any event, everything else aside it warmed my heart

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
otoh whether intentional or not (likely not), this might have been the best possible thing for boeser’s trade value.

you draw attention to him with the scratch, then his name circulates with the friedman early game intermission bombshell, and everybody is watching like omg look at the trainwreck of this guy’s career.

and then surprise, he plays anyway on HNIC with all eyeballs focusing on him, and he has a good game because pride and scores with a fairly decent approximation of the classic boeser wrist shot so reports of its demise seem like they’ve been greatly exaggerated (likely not actually true but…)

and so even though GMs and pro scouts should mostly know what he is already, you get local reporters of teams needing a piece asking GMs in press conferences, what about boeser? winnipeg and ottawa fans watching the late game are like, what about boeser? and all of a sudden, he is a buy low acquisition you can sell to your fanbase. a smart GM still wouldn’t do it but 99.999999% it would have worked on benning, so someone else might bite too.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Remember when Torts scratched Luongo in the Winter Classic and people tried to justify it?

Same vibes with Boeser and this game. It indicates that there's a serious disconnect between the coach and the players, even if Boudreau wasn't aware of its significance to Boeser.

When a "players' coach" is no longer finding ways to connect with the players, what do you do? I think management team is accurate when they say that this team has no system to fall back on. Boudreau needs to get this team winning in order to land a new job next season and to do that he's going to lean heavily on the vets instead of the players that the team needs in the future.
You hire John Tortorella..?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Disagree here.

A lot of fans are getting indignant over his near scratch..but its a results based business.

I dont blame Boudreau one bit..(even though you hate the coach)...When you dont crack a sweat for consecutive games..you get to watch from the press box..Kuzmenko found that out 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: theguardianII

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Disagree here.

I generally agree with that but you want to maximize Boeser as a player and possible asset. We have room on the wing with Podkolzin underperforming and Pearson injured and were playing Arizona. Motivation can happen both through positive reinforcement or positive punishment here. I'd have told him he's playing bad, taken his PP time away, and told him he's on his way to a scratch then given him this game. If he played bad again scratch him next game.

In the end I think it looks bad but it worked out well. The potential scratch seems to have spurred him to play well. I have my doubts it will continue though but we'll see.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Or we could hire a tactical coach who has a solid understanding of systems.

Haven't had that since Alain Vigneault.
Boudreau's record is 42-27-13 with the Canucks...

Where's AV now..?...Its not really all about the systems, all coaches have their own ..Its about motivating guys to buy in..We're not at a point where Boudreau's lost the room yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
A lot of fans are getting indignant over his near scratch..but its a results based business.

I dont blame Boudreau one bit..(even though you hate the coach)...When you dont crack a sweat for consecutive games..you get to watch from the press box..Kuzmenko found that out 3 weeks ago.
Bruce doesn't have a lot of things he can do, the roster is flawed and the room is in disarray with a group of guys that haven't won anything for 5 years. The spirit is gone.

While a touching story it is one that many fans have had to endure so it is close to home. Some folks move on faster than others but they most do carry on.

If Arizona had not shot themselves in the foot with those bad penalties, 2 two many men and 2 delay of game, would Vancouver had won at all?

Montreal is up next and they lost due to penalties but not the same.

It appears the Nuck were not as good as Arizona just lucky they did uncalled for mistakes.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Disagree here.

We are the kings of coddling. It has never ever worked for us...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad