Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Coyotes - 3-2 (OT) (Horvat x2, Boeser)

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Miller is an exceptional producer on the power play, to the point where his PP production is so gaudy that it covers up his lack of ES production in the point totals.

And yeah the gap between the assets and cap space we could have had, and the kind of anchor that contract will be by the time we're finally competitive, it's going to age horribly.
Only now, over this rather brief 1/4 season sample size, are JT's numbers boosted by PPP (A top 5ish PP, mostly because of his efforts)

Lets not forget he towers above every other Canuck in ES scoring in his 3+ years here, and has one of the highest ES scoring seasons of any Canuck ever.

Brock’s hair is just not fair
When I grow up, I wanna be like Boesers flow.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Only now, over this rather brief 1/4 season sample size, are JT's numbers boosted by PPP (A top 5ish PP, mostly because of his efforts)

Lets not forget he towers above every other Canuck in ES scoring in his 3+ years here, and has one of the highest ES scoring seasons of any Canuck ever.

Yep. People have such memories with him. I get he's a frustrating player but we don't have to suddenly pretend that he's awful just because the team is awful.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think this was more about teams like Arizona finding ways to lose. Gifted up so many PPs. Can't blame the Canucks for taking advantage but they got outplayed by the Yotes for too many stretches in this game. All in all, Canucks are not going to win many games playing like this.

Good

Horvat - had some juice in this one. Maybe the best aspect of the game was him upping his trade value. He is quickly moving beyond our range to pay. As good around the net as anyone in the League ATM

Martin - Canucks could have been dead by the end of the first if Martin didn't step up. Little loose in his rebound control at times but quickly scrambled back to cover the puck.

Pettersson - good two way effort. Lifted the team when they were flagging.

Boeser - not great but so much better. Made an effort in his own zone and looked to have some speed from the blue line in. However, have to ask where this was been earlier. Probably needs to be back with Pettersson

Not Good

Miller - looked like he was squeezing the stick. Puck movement on PP was mostly awful and way too frantic. Needs to control himself better than this.

Miheylev - basically a no show. Didn't see him do anything effective all game. Sort of just there.

Garland - have to ask what happened to this player. Game time continues to diminish as he becomes less and less a factor. Might guess he is hurt.

Others

Stillman - was less awful. Got caught flat footed at his blue line a couple of times but maintained better position around his net.

Bear - probably should have got more ice time. Got caught on the one rush at his blue line (and seemed to s lose shifts after that) but looked mobile in carrying puck out of his end,

Maybe this is the type of game were you start to improve play. Sometimes a turn around starts with some success even though you are still not at your best. Hopefully something to build off.

Could, however, make a case that wins like this are taking you further away from a high draft choice. And that's the dilemma Canucks fans live with continually. This team puts their fans through a lot internal agony (wanting to win and lose at the same time) and general misery about how bad they can look.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I know there's a tendency to belittle this win by the Canucks, because it was over Arizona. Just over a couple of weeks ago, this same Arizona team defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 4-0 in the Canes' barn.

The teams that are the cream of the crop will be there when it's time for the playoffs, but every team has to be taken seriously on any given night - just as Vegas and Colorado found out last week when we won in their barns.

I actually have a lot of respect for the players on this Coyotes team, especially given the conditions they've been playing under.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

His ES production plummets every second season. It's weird.

Yep. People have such memories with him. I get he's a frustrating player but we don't have to suddenly pretend that he's awful just because the team is awful.
One of the gaps with Miller is between the player and his contract.

Miller the player is great and has been a big part of our team since he joined.

Miller's contract is going to age poorly for us because we're at least 3 years away from being competitive. We're going to waste the best years of his contract when we're not competitive and then we're going to be frustrated with him on the back half of the deal. His contract would have value to a team that's contending right now, but that's not us so it's going to be a problem because we're going to waste the best years of it.

Reactions: Ozone and Indiana

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
His ES production plummets every second season. It's weird.
Ehh, he really only has the one 'second season', and it was a bubbly season from hell for pretty much everyone but Hogs and BB.

This one is still so early. Wouldn't read too much into it.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Ugly win, but a win. Cheering for losses is just exhausting and depressing, I ain't gonna do it.

JT-Bo-Hogs had a lot of good pressure. Hogs was robbed of a much deserved goal. That penalty was phantom af, refs knew it and called a weak 'slash' against EP right after.

PP eventually got it done, but that was hard to watch. JT. Bo and Kuz all passed up great shooting opportunities.... but they also have a staggering number of PPG combined, and can sorta be forgiven. EP and Hughes with ZERO ppg on the year... lock those two in a thunderdome rink, bag of pucks and a shooter tutor. 1000 buried one-timers each before they are allowed out. Restart the count every consecutive missed net.

Lazar line was absolutely caved...

Hughes was solid on D, but awful on offence, dude was passing to ghosts.

Lazar, JT and Schenn are some bruisers. 6 hits a piece, and they all hurt. 18 hits between the 3 of em. 17 for the rest of both rosters combined...

Garland looks smaller and smaller every game.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Quinn and Elias have both lost their shot. Are both dealing with wrist injuries?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Missed the game, just here to remind you that the team will not be drafting high in the order. Please let go of that dream. It hurts reading about who can we take top five, etc.

This team gets no free ice cream.

Reactions: Ozone and Kevinsane

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Missed the game, just here to remind you that the team will not be drafting high in the order. Please let go of that dream. It hurts reading about who can we take top five, etc.

This team gets no free ice cream.
Mr Aquilini will see to that. We're probably about two losses away from that pick being attached to a bad contract to bring in a defenseman. Mr Aquilini won't let go of his dream of a wild card spot easily. Certainly not without moving that pick sometime before the deadline.

Reactions: Indiana

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Reactions: geebaan

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
What?

He only has 2 seasons of point per game production.

Before that he never sniffed 70.

Fun fact, as I checked his NHL Stats, History, Scores, Standings, Playoffs, Schedule & Records | Hockey-Reference.com page. Some idiot gave him a Selke vote last year. :laugh:

He’s been here 4 season and 3 of them he’s been PPG. I know you don’t like him but he’s clearly a different player than he was anywhere else. He’s paced for 86,71,99 and now 82 point since he’s got here. He’s clearly an 80-90 point player.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I thought I heard that he was back on the bench later in the game. Mind you, I have a geezer brain that might have been hallucinating.

Scrolling through Drance's twitter feed and he confirms that OEL did return.

Wouldn't be surprise if they sit him out next game just to give his knee a rest.

Reactions: Indiana

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
saw a tweet someone said miller tried to tell petey and hughes of where to go. but they both ignored him and did their own thing. pp unit 1 needs to change it up seriously petey should switch and man the point. hughes shot is a muffin. kuz can play behind the net or the half wall and shoot from the left side. his shot is leathal and has a better chance of going in or having a scoring chance. miller should move to the right wall. too predictable.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Keep EP and Boeser together. Best forwards tonight. Hughes one of his best games of his career, absolute machine.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He’s been here 4 season and 3 of them he’s been PPG. I know you don’t like him but he’s clearly a different player than he was anywhere else. He’s paced for 86,71,99 and now 82 point since he’s got here. He’s clearly an 80-90 point player.
He has not been here for 4 seasons.

He has been here for 3.

His 71 point season was abhorrent to watch, just like his play this year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Did he? I honestly didn't notice him touch the ice after he went to the dressing room.

He definitely got one shift after coming back from the injury, but I'm not sure he had more than that.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad