Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Coyotes - 3-2 (OT) (Horvat x2, Boeser)

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Or we could hire a tactical coach who has a solid understanding of systems.

Haven't had that since Alain Vigneault.
I'm not a fan of Tortorella but think he has a solid understanding of tactics and systems.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
So Brock didn’t ask for a trade. Looks like it’s management who asked the agent to help look for one after they failed to.

What does our management group even do?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
So Brock didn’t ask for a trade. Looks like it’s management who asked the agent to help look for one after they failed to.

What does our management group even do?
He didn't say he didn't ask for a trade.

If he wanted to he could have made a statement saying "I wanna stay a Vancouver Canuck and until I'm traded .. blah blah" But instead went no comment.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He didn't say he didn't ask for a trade.

If he wanted to he could have made a statement saying "I wanna stay a Vancouver Canuck and until I'm traded .. blah blah" But instead went no comment.

He’s obviously not going to say anything either way. Management is just dysfunctional and putting everyone in tough spots

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I really don't read a lot into reports that Boeser's agent has been given the green light to explore a trade. Didn't they do the same thing with Miller, before deciding to re-sign him?

It seems to be the preferred way of doing business for Rutherford. If your trade talks involving a player have proven fruitless, then hand it over to the agent to see if he can broker a better deal.

Boeser is earning more than $6m a season, and is having a down year. I just can't see much of a market for him right now.

Reactions: theguardianII

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I really don't read a lot into reports that Boeser's agent has been given the green light to explore a trade. Didn't they do the same thing with Miller, before deciding to re-sign him?

It seems to be the preferred way of doing business for Rutherford. If your trade talks involving a player have proven fruitless, then hand it over to the agent to see if he can broker a better deal.

Boeser is earning more than $6m a season, and is having a down year. I just can't see much of a market for him right now.
two straight down years in a row does not bode well for Brock’s NHL career.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Boudreau's record is 42-27-13 with the Canucks...

Where's AV now..?...Its not really all about the systems, all coaches have their own ..Its about motivating guys to buy in..We're not at a point where Boudreau's lost the room yet.

That's 52/50 win/loss record. Basically a .500 coach here.

This is a quote from Boudreau two days ago:

"How can we play so good one week and so badly the next week? It’s mind boggling."

As for AV, he's likely taking his time waiting for the right opportunity to come along. He's still got almost two more seasons of being paid $5m to sit around and there's no reason for a coach of his calibre to sign on with a rebuilding team.

I'm not a fan of Tortorella but think he has a solid understanding of tactics and systems.

I think he has a mixed record but he certainly didn't display his tactical understanding here. It says something when Willie Desjardins comes in and gets better results by mindlessly rolling 4 lines the next season!

Reactions: geebaan

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
It feels like playhouse theatre here in Canucks land. Management pretending to be intelligent and most of the players pretending like they care.

It's pretend time!

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It feels like playhouse theatre here in Canucks land. Management pretending to be intelligent and most of the players pretending like they care.

It's pretend time!
Take me back to the days when the team was good and the corporate suits in the lower bowl would pretend to be hockey fans.

• Haha
Reactions: quat

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Remember when Torts scratched Luongo in the Winter Classic and people tried to justify it?
Distraction and changing fan opinions.

Fans didn't bitc* much about the return at the time. It was too hard to make trades remember, but they seem to happen quickly given the right stimulus.

Trades happen if there is need or stimulus. GM's aren't hired to do the easy jobs, they are supposed to be able to do this kind of thing. Otherwise anyone could.

In my mind when the he was sat I thought it was wrong BUT also it instigated the trade which IMO was to get into a rebuild position and have really good draft spots for the two years because the team would lose due to very poor goaltending not because the team was broken up.

Benning/Linden decided on Virtanen the scouting department wanted Larkin but the rest of that draft was Gillis guys. Ahhh what could have been, Horvat then a top 3 pick followed with another top 3 pick plus the early 2nd rounders and the ap space Gillis's guys had modeled into the team. Just like Tampa did, a top team tanks for two years, gets Stamkos and Hedman then a resurgence and cups. Other teams have done that too but they were already good or getting better.

Boeser's agent would never admit his client demands a trade but he may say they are okay with a trade, pretty much the same thing only a little less stimulus to get it done immediately. IMO they are giving the Canuck team the chance to get the best deal.

Now if only Miller's agent is doing the same for the 2n "stalwart" okay with a move. Who is Boeser's agent? Thats' a hint maybe

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

He’s obviously not going to say anything either way. Management is just dysfunctional and putting everyone in tough spots

Also nothing leaks from this org when it comes to trades. To think they will do something that will leak right away sounds kinda BS.

When was the last time the media got a leak right?

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Do you think he should dress a lineup based on that though?

I can see the argument that he should be in tune with his team/players and know that this was a bad idea given the circumstances. I disagree the lineup should be based on that though, but it's a fair argument.

I also think Brock could have proven something by coming out looking like a different player this game. He didn't to me. Looked like the same guy who was going to get scratched. Nice shot/goal of course, but was he noticeably different this game?

My takeaway from all this is probably different than most. You want people to pay attention or be aware of nights that are special? Stop making every game some new event. I miss the days when the Canucks telethon was a big deal because it was different. Now, every game they have a different jersey to support some subset of fans or cause and it cheapens the nights that are supposed to be special.
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who thought this stuff was starting to get a bit pretentious.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Distraction and changing fan opinions.

Fans didn't bitc* much about the return at the time. It was too hard to make trades remember, but they seem to happen quickly given the right stimulus.

Trades happen if there is need or stimulus. GM's aren't hired to do the easy jobs, they are supposed to be able to do this kind of thing. Otherwise anyone could.

In my mind when the he was sat I thought it was wrong BUT also it instigated the trade which IMO was to get into a rebuild position and have really good draft spots for the two years because the team would lose due to very poor goaltending not because the team was broken up.

Benning/Linden decided on Virtanen the scouting department wanted Larkin but the rest of that draft was Gillis guys. Ahhh what could have been, Horvat then a top 3 pick followed with another top 3 pick plus the early 2nd rounders and the ap space Gillis's guys had modeled into the team. Just like Tampa did, a top team tanks for two years, gets Stamkos and Hedman then a resurgence and cups. Other teams have done that too but they were already good or getting better.

Boeser's agent would never admit his client demands a trade but he may say they are okay with a trade, pretty much the same thing only a little less stimulus to get it done immediately. IMO they are giving the Canuck team the chance to get the best deal.

Now if only Miller's agent is doing the same for the 2n "stalwart" okay with a move. Who is Boeser's agent? Thats' a hint maybe
If the Canucks had selected Larkin (or Pastrnak) with the 6th OA in 2014..Canucks fans would have been been shitting themselves...both players would have been a massive reach at the 2014 draft....We would have been ecstatic if Michael Del Colle fell to us (the big top 5..remember..?)

This is called hindsight cherrypicking.

Just like Tampa did...yeah ok...Canucks haven't had a top 3 pick in 23 years.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I also think Brock could have proven something by coming out looking like a different player this game. He didn't to me. Looked like the same guy who was going to get scratched. Nice shot/goal of course, but was he noticeably different this game?

If you are serious, this puts in to question all your eye test takes...

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
If the Canucks had selected Larkin (or Pastrnak) with the 6th OA in 2014..Canucks fans would have been been shitting themselves...both players would have been a massive reach at the 2014 draft....We would have been ecstatic if Michael Del Colle fell to us (the big top 5..remember..?)

This is called hindsight cherrypicking.

Just like Tampa did...yeah ok...Canucks haven't had a top 3 pick in 23 years.
But Nylander and Ehlers weren't reaches and were obvious picks. I wanted Ehlers and was devestated by Jake. It's not like there wasn't a scouting report on him having no hockey sense.

Button had him in the 2nd round, and by his 2nd year Ferraro was saying his upside was Jannik Hansen.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If you are serious, this puts in to question all your eye test takes...

Let me re-phrase a little bit, because that's fair. I thought he was the "good" version we've seen this year where he is actually making a positive impact on the team and puts himself in position to get a point along the way. That's better than the lazy version we've seen in other games where he is a net negative to the team and got him in position to be scratched. Is that "good" version anything special? No. I thought it was a really listless performance by virtually the entire team.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
But Nylander and Ehlers weren't reaches and were obvious picks. I wanted Ehlers and was devestated by Jake. It's not like there wasn't a scouting report on him having no hockey sense.

Button had him in the 2nd round, and by his 2nd year Ferraro was saying his upside was Jannik Hansen.

I think Larkin was always the Canucks plan at 10, as I think they wanted that as part of the Kesler deal before we Fired Gillis. Thats what I have always read it as, cause there was lots of talk that the scouts like Nylander, and Management liked Ehlers.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Agreed, I wanted Nylander at the time..although there was a scouting report on him that he didnt have any idea how to play a 200 ft game (like his younger brother who was a highly rated bust).

But yeah, Nylander or Ehlers would have been good picks with the 6th OA

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad