Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Blackhawks - 5-2 (Kuzmenko x2, Joshua, Dries, Horvat)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Happy for Tocchet to get that first win.

I don’t hate the guy, he’s doing his job

Yeah, it seems like he has the right personality to step into this weird situation at least. I want this team to lose as much as possible down the stretch but it's probably not the worst thing to get buy-in and a win to start things off.

Don't really get him being booed at the beginning, but I guess it's to be expected. Some of our fanbase are like the little kid who does something funny and the adults laugh so they do it four more times because they like the attention. I'm hoping we are getting close to the "fourth" time with the boudreau/coach stuff. That goes for the jersey tossing, as well.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
At their age what are the odds of oel and Myers bouncing back. Could potentially get something out of Myers that someone wants a big RHD and we retain some. Might get us something? Oel should realistically be bought out at the cheapest possible time.

i think last year i made the comparison to babych and myers back in 1991. if we can rehab OEL into late career babych, and contain myers to murzyn-level work, that would go a huge way to being the miracle this broken roster needs.

at this pt, we can probably just chuck myers but we need that OEL miracle. are adam foote and sergei gonchar the dudes to pull it off?

a guy can dream

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I would really like to see him given some rope as a center just to see if there's something there. Main reason being a bottom-six energy winger is extremely easy to fill for cheap but if he was a serviceable RH bottom-six center then we actually have a useful, needed piece. And if he sucks at it.. well you still have a bottom-six energy winger.
For sure, if he can play center it only adds to his value, it would also be nice if they gave him an opportunity on the PK...he's going to need to put in a lot of work in the circle as well.

Reactions: m9

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
the symbiotic/parasitic? relationship between media and team is already on full display.
" wow, good energy during their first practice" -colour me shocked that there has been this much improvement already.!!:pcheer:
"Rick has already made relationships with his players"- yay, what a guy, but why is a 2 minute conversation with a player now considered a relationship?
"The team will listen to Rick, cause he has coached so many star players"- unlike the former coach, who despite the second best winning percentage in NHL history- didn't coach any one of note-ever
"playing better/more defensively in their FIRST game'- excellent everything is now going to be better.:pcheer::pcheer:
-marvelous start, but it was against Chicago, right?

And some fans are leading this wave of "we are better already'.
No wonder the organization doesn't need to truly fix f all. They do some minor stuff, and so many people start the love and money flow.

Annihilator Gator

Dec 29, 2018
i think last year i made the comparison to babych and myers back in 1991. if we can rehab OEL into late career babych, and contain myers to murzyn-level work, that would go a huge way to being the miracle this broken roster needs.

at this pt, we can probably just chuck myers but we need that OEL miracle. are adam foote and sergei gonchar the dudes to pull it off?

a guy can dream
Fair enough. Hopefully he can turn his game around. Oel that is. Myers atleast tries but sometimes causes more chaos.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
When we intend to compete for the cup?

I mean... I guess... Go look at the teams that have won cups this past decade.

He is not a great Center. So that means we are downgrading at Center. And.... somehow improving?

Yeah...

Your post was nonsense. Somehow improving while losing Horvat and spending that money on players we already have in Miller & Kuzmenko.

Does this really make sense to you..?

This is where Canucks fans can't think critically.

You don't think 90% of the roster that is underperforming can bounce back? You don't think some players are going to be better with the new coaches and new systems? You think Demko is going to keep being one of the worst goalies in the NHL? You think Podkolzin and Hoglander are going to regress further and play in Abbotsford again?

You are looking at this at such a black and white scale.

Miller was amazing last year as our 1C. I wonder what you were saying when he was tearing it up last year.

I recommended in my post that we get 2 quality defenseman back through the Horvat trade and a Boeser/Garland trade. That's about as realistic as it can get.

• Haha
Reactions: Nucker101

Annihilator Gator

Dec 29, 2018
the symbiotic/parasitic? relationship between media and team is already on full display.
" wow, good energy during their first practice" -colour me shocked that there has been this much improvement already.!!:pcheer:
"Rick has already made relationships with his players"- yay, what a guy, but why is a 2 minute conversation with a player now considered a relationship?
"The team will listen to Rick, cause he has coached so many star players"- unlike the former coach, who despite the second best winning percentage in NHL history- didn't coach any one of note-ever
"playing better/more defensively in their FIRST game'- excellent everything is now going to be better.:pcheer::pcheer:

And some fans are leading this wave of "we are better already'.
No wonder the organization doesn't need to truly fix f all. They do some minor stuff, and so many people start the love and money flow.
Casuals are our bane

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Good Lord, one win against the worst team in the league and the "this team is closer than you think" crowd is already back. Drance is prophetic.
Y'all are out to lunch.

Drance... prophetic? LOL.

Team before this win is the exact same team. What the hell are you talking about??

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

You don't think 90% of the roster that is underperforming can bounce back? You don't think some players are going to be better with the new coaches and new systems? You think Demko is going to keep being one of the worst goalies in the NHL? You think Podkolzin and Hoglander are going to regress further and play in Abbotsford again?

Miller was amazing last year as our 1C. I wonder what you were saying when he was tearing it up last year.

I recommended in my post that we get 2 quality defenseman back through the Horvat trade and a Boeser/Garland trade. That's about as realistic as it can get.

you think it's realistic that a contender is going to give up two nhl dmen in a horvat trade? or that everyone on the roster will just get better next year and no one will get worse?

i think next year some players will be better but also some will be worse. maybe miller looks like a capable top 6 center again but maybe pettersson reverts to looking unengaged and distracted. maybe oel is no longer a total disaster but maybe quinn hughes looks like he's never seen the inside of his own zone again. i respect your optimism but fans in this market have been projecting an ever upward trajectory for the team every single year since benning came in and it's never worked out. this team needs more than just hope

Reactions: quat, Gurn and m9

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Why is it that, every season that this team is a bottom feeder, usually at the lowest points of the season (currently right now given the general morale and atmosphere), there is always some outspoken poster telling us everything is fine and the team is doing the right things? I don’t know how these people function in real life given that they ignore the objective reality of things.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Why is it that, every season that this team is a bottom feeder, usually at the lowest points of the season (currently right now given the general morale and atmosphere), there is always some outspoken poster telling us everything is fine and the team is doing the right things? I don’t know how these people function in real life given that they ignore the objective reality of things.

That's hilarious.

Nobody in BC thinks that everything is fine.

All I'm saying is that there is a pathway success - a lot just needs to go right.

But go ahead and doom and gloom and cry.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
What I saw was much crisper puck movement. It helped with transition offense quite a bit and led to a lot of low danger, but not blocked shots on net that inflated the shot totals.

A few caveats:
1) This was against one of the lowliest team in the league - popgun offense and Seth Jones shouldering their high leverage minutes.
2) Our defense is still abysmal. So many high danger chances surrendered due to sagging coverage, slow dmen, brain dead passing in our own end and just general disorganization.

My take is that if there is a new coach bump, it will be short lived. Too many of the same underlying problems remain.

Not an easy fix in spite of the trade proposals bandied about on this thread.

Reactions: Gurn

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
colour me very jaded and skeptical about that game. it will take me a while to want to believe let alone believe.

the most positive thing about it was less jt miller doing bozo things. apparently he does still know how to play his position mostly.

but it was kind of infuriating to see so many players suddenly putting in extra effort that was missing for weeks. the mysterious return of the fourth line forechecking hard was especially annoying.

also, for full tinfoil hat, did anyone else notice that when schen was interviewed between periods he seemed to be talking a lot faster than usual? mrs krutovsdonut commented so it's not just me. we were joking that he sounded like the attorney woo character on netflix talking about whales.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That's hilarious.

Nobody in BC thinks that everything is fine.

All I'm saying is that there is a pathway success - a lot just needs to go right.

But go ahead and doom and gloom and cry.
I mean, the people that have been preaching “doom and gloom and cry” have been correct and justified in doing so if you look at the last 8 years along with the current outlook of the team (capped out with long term contracts, crappy defence, no prospect pool) and Frankie being the worst owner in the NHL.

Like, you can gaslight people who you think are critical of the team (because they have legitimate reasons to do so), but you are still wrong.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
you think it's realistic that a contender is going to give up two nhl dmen in a horvat trade? or that everyone on the roster will just get better next year and no one will get worse?

i think next year some players will be better but also some will be worse. maybe miller looks like a capable top 6 center again but maybe pettersson reverts to looking unengaged and distracted. maybe oel is no longer a total disaster but maybe quinn hughes looks like he's never seen the inside of his own zone again. i respect your optimism but fans in this market have been projecting an ever upward trajectory for the team every single year since benning came in and it's never worked out. this team needs more than just hope

I said a Horvat and a Boeser/Garland trade. Two separate trades to get two separate Dmen.

Do people even read on this forum anymore before they respond?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I just get amused that they're so angry that people are negative, like there is no reason to be concerned about this train wreck that've been watching over the last 8-10 years...lol. It's like, suddenly they'll start making all the right decisions and we'll be riding the gravy train, when there is absolutely no indication that's the case. I guess some people get pissed when you don't see their rainbows and unicorns. lol

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
I just get amused that they're so angry that people are negative, like there is no reason to be concerned about this train wreck that've been watching over the last 8-10 years...lol. It's like, suddenly they'll start making all the right decisions and we'll be riding the gravy train, when there is absolutely no indication that's the case. I guess some people get pissed when you don't see their rainbows and unicorns. lol
"True Fans" can be hard to talk with. Somehow only they know what is going on; everyone else is just wrong/never played hockey/never watched hockey/ don't have a clue/don't read/don't listen and on and on and on and on....................
Meanwhile other folk, 50 years into their Canuck fandom are just a bit sceptical, at this point.

Reactions: quat

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

edit. I were saying this is not sustainable, he is riding a on ice shooting % of 15 and insane IPP.

Also he was bleeding chances then too.

Im sorry... I dont know how to word this in any polite way, but are you being serious?
I said a Horvat and a Boeser/Garland trade. Two separate trades to get two separate Dmen.

Do people even read on this forum anymore before they respond?
Ok.

Lets wait and see what top4 Dmen Boeser & Garland return in trades.

You'll surely admit how wrong you were when they don't, at all. Right?

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
edit. I were saying this is not sustainable, he is riding a on ice shooting % of 15 and insane IPP.

Also he was bleeding chances then too.

Im sorry... I dont know how to word this in any polite way, but are you being serious?

Ok.

Lets wait and see what top4 Dmen Boeser & Garland return in trades.

You'll surely admit how wrong you were when they don't, at all. Right?
I never said we're getting two top 4 dmen.

I literally said two quality dmen. Those are not the same things. Scott Morrow is a quality dmen or quality defensive prospect but he's not a top 4 dmen right now.

It doesn't matter if they don't get dmen through trades from Horvat/Boeser/Garland.

They can do it through free agency, college free agency, or other trades. There's multiple pathways is what I'm saying.

What do I need to admit to anything? I am simply just suggesting alternatives/scenarios other than dur durr doom and gloom cry about it on a hockey forum. I personally think that discussion is more productive and worthwhile v.s. just crying about how we should tear it down.

Just my 2 cents bud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad