Post-Game Talk: Canucks crown captain, clown Kings 8 - 2 in home opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The second line was decent. Horvat was a little awkward off the get go - definitely the nerves. I don't like Leivo on his line though. I didn't notice Leivo much this game, but that might be because they barely played/practiced together so far. I feel like with time we might see a bunch of guys being tried out beside Horvat. Pearson has earned his spot on his left, as I love his hustle and effort. But I could imagine Ferland, Virtanen and maybe even Motte being tried on Horvat's right side. This line definitely missing a step because Miller got moved up. At least that's how I would explain it.

The second line RW is a hole, agreed that Pearson has earned it the LW spot. Not sure how the team fills it but Leivo and Goldobin just aren't good enough imo.

Miller - Petterson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - RW
Ferland - Gaudette - Sutter
Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen

Are lines that could continue moving forward, just need to add to that 2nd line to get it going.

Reactions: bh53 and I am toxic

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
The second line RW is a hole, agreed that Pearson has earned it the LW spot. Not sure how the team fills it but Leivo and Goldobin just aren't good enough imo.

Miller - Petterson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - RW
Ferland - Gaudette - Sutter

Are lines that could continue moving forward, just need to add to that 2nd line to get it going.
If you can get Virtanen going and he has chemistry with them that would be the ideal solution I think

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Based on what i've seen in the preason and these three regular season games, I think we should eventually run with this lineup once everyone is healthy. '

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Ferland (gotta get Ferland going)
Baertschi Gaudette Sutter
Roussel Beagle Virtanen

I would really like to see this lineup. Gaudette has an offensive side to his game. Once Baertschi is up and going full speed, bring him up. He had chemistry with Gaudette. he can also play with Bo if you want to shake up the lineup.
Even that fourth line looks good. I hope people don't forget how good Roussel was for us last year. 79 hits, and 31 pts in 65 games. Lots of Energy.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
if Canucks are in a playoff position by the trade deadline, I wouldn't be opposed to trading for a top 6 RW. It will cost good assets but its clear another bonafide top 6 winger is needed if Ferland can't get himself going.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Paid the price for the success.
Mike Richards cost them Simmonds and Schenn.
Jeff Carter cost them Johnson and a 1st in 2013
Sekeras cost them McKeown and a 1st in 2016
Lucic cost them a 1st in 2015, Jones, and Miller
Bishop cost them Cernak.

Combine that with some bad signings in Brown, Gaborik and you have what you have.

When you front load contracts to players and they decline as they age, then it's not likely a contending team wants to acquire them unless there is retention. But, some of those guys like Quick and Carter have term on their deals. Less incentive to take that on.

So, they are stuck. Since winning their first cup in 2012, how many new players have they acquired/developed who are now 25 and under (Their own 2012 picks would be 25 this year).

Doesn't help them that Vilardi has a bad back and missed basically all of last season. No idea where he is at now.

But, they did win 2 cups. So, if they have to deal with a few years of rebuilding, that's life. I'm sure we'd take it too.

we've have had to deal with it; but without the cups.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’m fine with the way the Captain was announced. They wanted to do the reveal in front of the home fans, even if the choice was telegraphed, but I think it was a great moment. Made better by the fact that Bo’s parents were in attendance, and you could see his Dad wiping some tears away. A press conference is fine, sure, but this was great.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
With what cap space and assets?

The team seems intent on making the playoffs. I'd argue a full Columbus buy in might be on the horizon if we are in or very near a playoff spot. Assets would be draft picks and/prospects like DiPietro, Podkolzin or Woo.

As for cap space, Leivo or Schaller or Goldobin would free up a roster spot, and there are other, worse contracts that could be included or shipped out (even at our expense) to accomodate.

I'm not in support of these moves, but Benning is moving out of desperation. Keith Tkachuk for a first, second and third or Coburn for Zhitnik might not be far away.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I can't be the only one who thought the Canucks were going to botch the ceremony but they did an outstanding job. Having some of the old guard out there with our starting lineup was so awesome to see. I was shocked to see Kearns, McClean looked legitimately awesome with the cage and skate jersey, and then Bertuzzi of all players receiving the most audible reaction from the crowd. That ceremony was awesome.

I think the only thing I would change would be to have Bo rip the jersey apart like a pro wrestler only to unveil a C jersey underneath. :laugh:

This. Was great to see.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
if Canucks are in a playoff position by the trade deadline, I wouldn't be opposed to trading for a top 6 RW. It will cost good assets but its clear another bonafide top 6 winger is needed if Ferland can't get himself going.

isn't ferlund a left winger?

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
With what cap space and assets?

Cap space can be made by the trade deadline by having a team retain salary, and sending one of our players the other way.

Assets will be prospects and picks.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the ideal scenario would be Ferland playing on the top line LW while Miller is on Horvat's right side.

i am nowhere near ready to settle on what is the ideal scenario. for me the top 6 is currently interchangeable subject to pettersson and horvat being on different lines. ferlund is maybe half a step behind them right now and #7, but i am not sure that is permanent and for now he can be subbed in more easily than anyone else in the lineup.

what i really want to see is a third line come together so we have consistent scoring pressure. it might require a current top 6 player move down to achieve this and ferlund to move up.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Definitely need more time to assess Ferland...He and Boeser are not 100%.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Cap space can be made by the trade deadline by having a team retain salary, and sending one of our players the other way.

Assets will be prospects and picks.

We had a legitimate shot in 2011, and we went all in. We had nothing but late 1st for 5 - 6 years, and usually had given away our 2nds as well. We are just recovering from that now. It would be insane to trade any more draft picks for a team that is borderline to make the playoffs.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Based on what i've seen in the preason and these three regular season games, I think we should eventually run with this lineup once everyone is healthy. '

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Ferland (gotta get Ferland going)
Baertschi Gaudette Sutter
Roussel Beagle Virtanen

I would really like to see this lineup. Gaudette has an offensive side to his game. Once Baertschi is up and going full speed, bring him up. He had chemistry with Gaudette. he can also play with Bo if you want to shake up the lineup.
Even that fourth line looks good. I hope people don't forget how good Roussel was for us last year. 79 hits, and 31 pts in 65 games. Lots of Energy.

Leivo’s too good not to be in the lineup. I would run with these lines when everyone’s healthy.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Ferland
Leivo - Gaudette - Sutter

Reactions: DL44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad