Post-Game Talk: Canucks crown captain, clown Kings 8 - 2 in home opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Weird how everyone now is saying what a night and blah blah blah.

Nobody saying anymore that “oh they should have just announced it in a press conference and be done with it”.

With Bo the certain captain the most significant things to me were:

1. Linden's absence, which to me completely overshadowed the ceremony;
2. how over the top the ceremony seemed, though it may have been an effective tool in selling the team by bringing back sentimental memories.

They should have just announced it in a press conference.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
However superficially nice the ceremony might be, my take on the captaincy is that it's an incredibly overrated pointless thing that puts more pressure on the player wearing it than anything it does good, and if we're going to be naming a captain we should be minimizing it, not blowing it into this massive gorilla on Horvat's shoulders.

The nice bits of the ceremony all were basically part of the 50th thing and didn't need a captaincy announcement to be meaningful.

I realize most people disagree and feel the captaincy is this huge important thing.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yes great idea.
Screw Horvat his
family, teammates, previous legends and fans that enjoyed the spectacle.

His parents were in attendance, I’m sure they were happy to get this honour.

Nothing wrong with that, fans enjoyed it.
Especially with the past stars in attendance.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
With Bo the certain captain the most significant things to me were:

1. Linden's absence, which to me completely overshadowed the ceremony;
2. how over the top the ceremony seemed, though it may have been an effective tool in selling the team by bringing back sentimental memories.

They should have just announced it in a press conference.

i disagree. it's also opening night and their 50th anniversary and the ceremony was really not that excessive. certainly nothing like the way the habs have done it where it's like an olympic games opening ceremony.

they also did the same thing for henrik with kurtenbach and other vets and dignitaries in attendance and right down to schute handing over the jersey. and they also had the canucks and kings where their throwback 1970 uniforms.

Photos: Canucks, Kings open season at Rogers Arena

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
8p98Edu_d.jpg

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
However superficially nice the ceremony might be, my take on the captaincy is that it's an incredibly overrated pointless thing that puts more pressure on the player wearing it than anything it does good, and if we're going to be naming a captain we should be minimizing it, not blowing it into this massive gorilla on Horvat's shoulders.

The nice bits of the ceremony all were basically part of the 50th thing and didn't need a captaincy announcement to be meaningful.

I realize most people disagree and feel the captaincy is this huge important thing.

It's a huge important thing for team building and team cohesion.

Both of which have been missing from this team for a very very long time.

It's important for the new veterans to see who the top dog is and it's especially important for the new youngsters to know who the chain of command goes through.

I was listening to Hughes talk afterwards and from the tone of his voice, the ceremony was exactly what the doctor ordered.

The pomp and circumstance surrounding this event was warranted IMO.

Whether or not it will have any lasting cohesive effects on the locker room remains to be seen.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Didn't get to watch as much of the game as I wanted but as one of many people who critiqued Hughes muffin of a shot last year I am impressed. Whatever he did this off-season worked and his technique is fantastic.

The LA fossils are just lol worthy

Reactions: Zombotron

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
i disagree. it's also opening night and their 50th anniversary and the ceremony was really not that excessive. certainly nothing like the way the habs have done it where it's like an olympic games opening ceremony.

they also did the same thing for henrik with kurtenbach and other vets and dignitaries in attendance and right down to schute handing over the jersey. and they also had the canucks and kings where their throwback 1970 uniforms.

Photos: Canucks, Kings open season at Rogers Arena

Please note that this is not their 50th anniversary, that will be next year. This is their 50th season.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Didn't get to watch as much of the game as I wanted but as one of many people who critiqued Hughes muffin of a shot last year I am impressed. Whatever he did this off-season worked and his technique is fantastic.

The LA fossils are just lol worthy
Bang on!....conventional wisdom on Quinn was that he was a one-man breakout machine and a threat in the offensive zone as a passer, but the shot wasn't going to intimidate anyone, particularly the goalies. So much for that 'theory'.

So far the guy has broken Adam Larsson's foot and wired one by Quick from 40 feet out. And his one timer is only going to get better as he gets stronger. He's the complete package.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Leivo’s too good not to be in the lineup. I would run with these lines when everyone’s healthy.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Ferland
Leivo - Gaudette - Sutter
Roussel - Beagle - Virtanen

My Take on a healthy lineup:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Pearson - Horvat - Roussel
Ferland - Gaudette - Sutter
X - Beagle - Virtanen

Don't mind X being Schaller since I think Schaller would bring more to the 4th line than Leivo would.
X- Schaller, Eriksson, Motte, Leivo.

HOWEVER - I'm still not sold on Gaudette still locking down a roster spot in 6 weeks. That's far from a guarantee at this point.

Then my bottom 6 would be:
Ferland - Sutter - Virtanen
Schaller - Beagle - X

X- Motte/Eriksson/Leivo

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...you gotta be impressed with this guy Drew Doughty....goes to war with Tkachuk in Calgary and calls out his teammates last night after their 8-2 shellacking. He's a past Norris Trophy winner who backs up his opinions with strong individual play.

God I wish the Canucks had more like him.

Reactions: clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Wow!...you gotta be impressed with this guy Drew Doughty....goes to war with Tkachuk in Calgary and calls out his teammates last night after their 8-2 shellacking. He's a past Norris Trophy winner who backs up his opinions with strong individual play.

God I wish the Canucks had more like him.
I love him, personally, even if he hates the Canucks. It's nice to see passionate players out there, especially ones that can back up what they say. Meanwhile, you have Brandon Sutter blaming others when his play on the ice often sucks in losses.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
They should have just released a statement and been done with it.

This sounds too machine like and not at all taking into account the passion and responsibility of the new captain. He deserves a little bit more support at the beginning. Nothing wrong with taking a few minutes to show that.

Reactions: sting101

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It's a huge important thing for team building and team cohesion.

Both of which have been missing from this team for a very very long time.

It's important for the new veterans to see who the top dog is and it's especially important for the new youngsters to know who the chain of command goes through.

I was listening to Hughes talk afterwards and from the tone of his voice, the ceremony was exactly what the doctor ordered.

The pomp and circumstance surrounding this event was warranted IMO.

Whether or not it will have any lasting cohesive effects on the locker room remains to be seen.

This kind of stuff is the only thing I care about. What the players think. I don't give a hoot what the media and fans think (I realize most people are fans of the ceremony and everything last night, I'm just sayin').

Reactions: EpochLink
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad