Canucks contact agents for Ryan Miller and Jonas Hiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Upside definitely, but Lack failed miserably as our starting goalie after Luongo was traded. Small sample size sure, but it still isn't a good sign.

Wasn't he under the weather or injured while Torts gave him every single game on the schedule? Even elite starting goaltenders usually get a break every 6 games or so. It was completely ridiculous coaching — in an Olympic year, no less. I don't know if one can take a whole lot away from that.

To come back to Miller, he posted .903 Sv% in St Louis over that same stretch. Doesn't seem like an improvement.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Upside definitely, but Lack failed miserably as our starting goalie after Luongo was traded. Small sample size sure, but it still isn't a good sign.

In the short-term (ie. next season) I think Ryan Miller will be better than Eddie Lack. But if we make a mistake by signing Miller long-term, that's going to be one hell of an ugly contract going forward when he can't stop a beach ball.

Miller's not going to sign short term though. In a league in which David Clarkson gets 7 years Miller will be looking at cashing in as well.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wasn't he under the weather or injured while Torts gave him every single game on the schedule? Even elite starting goaltenders usually get a break every 6 games or so. It was completely ridiculous coaching — in an Olympic year, no less.

Can you source when that injury/illness happened?

Also your theory about fatigue makes sense, except Lack's struggles came even before he approached his 15th consecutive game. He was pretty bad right from when Luongo was dealt and he became the starting goalie.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Miller is inferior to Luongo, and how do you know he won't carry a massive contract? I don't think we get Ryan Miller to sign here for the terms that any of us would be happy at (maximum $5M AAV, maximum 3 year term).

IMO Ryan Miller here for 5+ years with a cap hit of $6M+ is worse than the Luongo contract that we paid to give away.

I said I was only willing to sign Miller at a short term contact at around 5 million, if he wants more term or dollar I'd be fine with giving the net to Lack.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I said I was only willing to sign Miller at a short term contact at around 5 million, if he wants more term or dollar I'd be fine with giving the net to Lack.

We agree then.

Unfortunately, if we sign Miller, I suspect we'll both be unhappy then.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Solid. With one of these guys in net, and Richards and Iggy added to our forward group, we'll be just good enough to finish out of the top 10 in next year's draft, and not good enough to make the playoffs. :help:

That was my first thought. Let's go full Calgary for a few years. Hiller is the only player mentioned that I want. Lack is being underrated here; Miller would have fared no better.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
We agree then.

Unfortunately, if we sign Miller, I suspect we'll both be unhappy then.

I'm not so sure about that, Miller has stated that he wants to play near California (wife is an actress) and by the sounds of things none of the California teams are interested. Vancouver is likely as close as he can get, and we have an opening roster spot for him. I don't think he'll get a better opportunity.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'm not so sure about that, Miller has stated that he wants to play near California (wife is an actress) and by the sounds of things none of the California teams are interested. Vancouver is likely as close as he can get, and we have an opening roster spot for him. I don't think he'll get a better opportunity.

San Jose is a possibility. Wouldn't be surprised if Calgary did something stupid (or Edmonton).

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
San Jose probably, though given their GM's rebuild comments perhaps that's a potential destination for Eddie Lack?

Pierre Lebrun said that their not interested in Miller and like you said are looking to get younger in goal. I'd rather hold on to Lack, personally.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

What could go wrong investing a lot of money and term in a goalie whose wife lives elsewhere?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Are we even allowed to be talking to these players? I thought that's on July 1st?

5 day window in advance of free agency allows for discussions, but no contract offers.

Personally, not surprised or disappointed by this. Lack has played half a season in the NHL (albeit, I think he'll be good), but Markstrom is a tremendously unknown figure at this point. I certainly wouldn't feel particularly confident going into the season with the two of them as the tandem, and less than 80 NHL games combined in between them.

25Bieksa3

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
I think a 1A / 1B situation with Hiller and Lack would be ideal. Markstrom still has a ton of work to do (as was evident in his cup of coffee with the eam last season), and I think should go back to Utica.

I don't want Miller. If he sucks we're stuck with a worse contract, if he's good, we might get into the playoffs and flameout horribly in the 1st round, which I doubt anyone but ownership would want at this point.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Canuck Free Agent Frenzy 2014!

With Free Agency only a few days away, lets have a thread to discuss all the rumours, speculation and twitter buzz on who may join YOUR Vancouver Canucks!

Important updates and signings will be added to the OP as they come in.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I would prefer Miller over Hiller but only if it is a relatively short deal. I am extremely against losing Lack or Markstrom for nothing for an older goaltender though, so if we can't somehow sneak Markstrom down into the minors I say no deal.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Going with Markstrom instead of Lack is a huge huge mistake, IMO. It would make the Schneider/Luongo thing look like an even bigger trainwreck than it was.

We're all optimistic that Melanson can get him back on track, but Markstrom has done nothing to make you think that he's not the same outright bust that he looked like when we got him

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

In the short-term (ie. next season) I think Ryan Miller will be better than Eddie Lack. But if we make a mistake by signing Miller long-term, that's going to be one hell of an ugly contract going forward when he can't stop a beach ball.

yeah they threw the guy into the fire. Have him start 19 straight in 41 days. There was one chance to practice during all of march. Of course he got exposed. ****ing hate how ignorant you are to everything non-luongo.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Realistically, these are the teams bidding for goalies this year (either need, or would consider an upgrade):
-Flames
-Sharks
-Canucks
-Jets
-Sabres
-Penguins

Not all of those are aggressively searching, and a number of them would have an excess starter if they brought on a new starter (Jets, Pens, Sharks all have goalies too expensive to be backups).

Hiller and Miller are the best UFA goalies by far, but it's not a great market for them. I'm sure their agents told them not to be too picky, or what happened to Vokoun could happen to them. Both have come off some bad runs.

Neither can be too picky about where they'll go, and neither can ask for that much.

Honestly - the ideal situation for me is the Pens signing a new goalie, then trading Fleury to the Canucks for nothing. Short term contract, gives him a chance to prove himself on a lesser team, and gives Lack a year more to learn to be a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad