Canucks contact agents for Ryan Miller and Jonas Hiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Expected and good news. Sorry but Eddie Lack is not a #1 guy and needs a few more years to groom.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Sources tell me, Miller would have no issues playing in Vancouver.

That is the most surprising thing i've read today.

However, Miller couldn't get it done in St Louis behind the best defense in the NHL and a team that's better offensively than the Canucks...

I don't see why Miller would come to the Canucks.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
If they go this route, they should trade Lack and keep Markstrom, rather than letting Markstrom go for nothing.

I'd rather not sign a goalie, though, but Benning/Linden seem insistent on going down this road.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Not that surprising. I expect Lack will eventually become a number 1, but I'm not comfortable with Markstrom being his backup this early in his NHL career. Unnecessary pressure on the guy.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Solid. With one of these guys in net, and Richards and Iggy added to our forward group, we'll be just good enough to finish out of the top 10 in next year's draft, and not good enough to make the playoffs. :help:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This is getting scary for me. I know it's only phone calls, likely to gauge contract demands and such but it has to mean there's some degree of interest. Signing Bolland and Miller to long-term deals doesn't exactly sound promising to me.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I hope we can land Hiller and roll 1A/1B with Lack. We'd have to pay Miller too much and we can't have Lack warming the bench in most nights.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Giving away Markstrom for nothing seems silly to me. Melanson might like Markstrom more than Lack, so it's possible the team has determined they should move on from Lack.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if prospective number one goalies view Vancouver as a pretty desirable destination. They look at the Lack/Markstrom combo and figure there isn't much standing in the way of the top job, especially since the new coach and management really have no loyalty to either goalie. If we somehow signed Miller I don't see anyway he isn't the unquestionable #1 heading into the season. Hiller might have a bit more work to do.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
That is the most surprising thing i've read today.

However, Miller couldn't get it done in St Louis behind the best defense in the NHL and a team that's better offensively than the Canucks...

I don't see why Miller would come to the Canucks.

It makes sense. Goalie markets are usually fairly limited so even if he has no intention of ever playing for Vancouver it'd make much more sense to make it seem like he's interested if only to stir up some competition for his services. There's really no benefit to him dismissing a team out of hand.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
Ryan Millers wife is an actress and he wants to be out west.

Vancouver is as close as hes going to get with most of the California teams being pretty locked down between the pipes.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Ryan miller was a goalie I always considered highly overrated, yet I still want him over Lack.

I don't get myself sometimes.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Please don't overpay either...they are extremely average goalies.

No kidding. Miller completely shat the bed last year in St. Louis and hasn't turned in an above-average season since he won the Vezina in 2010.

Hopefully there are other guys we've contacted ... because it doesn't exactly inspire great confidence in our new management team if the two guys they've identified as targets are over-rated '4 years ago' types in Bolland and Miller.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
So people cried about giving Luongo a goalie with an abysmal contract and a guy that didn't even want to be here away for "scraps" yet don't want a goalie just as good if not better in Miller. For the right price I'd take Ryan Miller in a heart beat.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Miller for 4 or less years and $5M or less is a great deal. Hiller is worth about a year and a million less.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
No kidding. Miller completely shat the bed last year in St. Louis and hasn't turned in an above-average season since he won the Vezina in 2010.

Hopefully there are other guys we've contacted ... because it doesn't exactly inspire great confidence in our new management team if the two guys they've identified as targets are over-rated '4 years ago' types in Bolland and Miller.

Well Miller put up a .918 save percentage last year, above the league average of .915.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I would do it like this. Not sure either goalie would go for it.

Ryan Miller = 4 year deal 6m a year (Or 5 year / 5.5m a year)
Jonas Hiller = 2 year deal 4m a year. (Or 5m for 1 year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad