Canucks contact agents for Ryan Miller and Jonas Hiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
So people cried about giving Luongo a goalie with an abysmal contract and a guy that didn't even want to be here away for "scraps" yet don't want a goalie just as good if not better in Miller. For the right price I'd take Ryan Miller in a heart beat.

Ryan Miller has never been better than Roberto Luongo. 10 years, 5 years ago, today, or next season.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Wow let's give Lack a season at least. Schneider had a worse beginning to his career and we all see where that went.

Giving up on Lack and or Markstrom at this point is some kind of Pejorative Slured

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So people cried about giving Luongo a goalie with an abysmal contract and a guy that didn't even want to be here away for "scraps" yet don't want a goalie just as good if not better in Miller. For the right price I'd take Ryan Miller in a heart beat.

I guess it depends what you want out of next season. I'd be fine riding with Lack and Markstrom next season. Miller is a good goalie but I don't see the Canucks contending next year anyway.

If they do sign him, hoping it's not a long deal.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'd rather have James reimer.
Atleast he'd presumably be cheaper

And bring us a first overall pick.

I'm OK with us signing Miller, depending on the contract. Also, only if we trade up to draft Sam Reinhart, because this team desperately needs some high end prospects to have a future. If we don't, and still go forward with trying to make the playoffs, we'll just end up like Calgary.

Give me Miller for 3 years, $5M per and I"m ok.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

LOL. Ryan Miller is not as good, nor better than Luongo.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
If we sign any goalie at all it means :

-goodbye to Markstrom (he'll be claimed on waivers)
-a move that shows they don't have confidence in Lack
-not giving lack a shot, making Schneids/Luo fiasco even more pointless
-making the Luongo trade essentially for Matthias (once Markstom claimed off waivers)
-management showing fans they think they're close to competing, denying us another valuable year of possible rebuild.

Don't like it at all

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Ryan Miller has never been better than Roberto Luongo. 10 years, 5 years ago, today, or next season.

The last two seasons Ryan Miller and Roberto Luongo have had fairly similar numbers. I understand this attachment with Luongo, but some of you guys massively overrate the guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Goaltending is becoming a young man's position. There wasn't a single competent NHL starter in the NHL over the age of 35 last year.

Ryan Miller is 34 and hasn't been an above-average goalie in several years. Giving him a long-term deal is utterly foolish. Especially when Lack is probably better already.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If we sign any goalie at all it means :

-goodbye to Markstrom (he'll be claimed on waivers)
-a move that shows they don't have confidence in Lack
-not giving lack a shot, making Schneids/Luo fiasco even more pointless
-making the Luongo trade essentially for Matthias (once Markstom claimed off waivers)
-management showing fans they think they're close to competing, denying us another valuable year of possible rebuild.

Don't like it at all

It cements how incredibly stupid the Gillis regime was and how they completely mismanaged the goaltending situation.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

Not getting a goalie shows fans that management feel they aren't at all close to competing. Lack wasn't very good last year and probably isn't an option going forward.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Don't you also think Luongo is better than Pekka Rinne and Jonathan Quick?

Ryan Miller is one of the most overrated goalies in the NHL. He's still living off of that one dominant season which was clearly an outlier. He's an average goalie at best, but that's still better than what we have.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The last two seasons Ryan Miller and Roberto Luongo have had fairly similar numbers. I understand this attachment with Luongo, but some of you guys massively overrate the guy.

Ryan Miller is by far the most overrated goaltender in the game. He has one good year to his name and outside of that has barely been an average goaltender.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I guess it depends what you want out of next season. I'd be fine riding with Lack and Markstrom next season. Miller is a good goalie but I don't see the Canucks contending next year anyway.

If they do sign him, hoping it's not a long deal.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I have confidence in Eddie Lack, the guy has potential and if Torts wasn't a massive ****ing idiot his number would look a lot better then they are.. All I'm saying is, if Miller signs on a short term contract for around 5 million I'd take him.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No to Miller. But we do need to upgrade in net. We at least need a vet to back up Lack if that is the way we go.
There is no way I see Benning going into the season with Lack/Markstrom.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
If Ryan Miller is average, why would you even want him? Eddie Lack was pretty much average last season, but he can improve and he comes along with a cheaper price.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
Benning: I don't really care if you sign one of them but whatever you do don't give them a NTC. UNLESS it's a 2 year deal. And don't give them high aav. No higher than 5.

Lack is only going to get better.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Ryan Miller is one of the most overrated goalies in the NHL. He's still living off of that one dominant season which was clearly an outlier. He's an average goalie at best, but that's still better than what we have.

Ryan Miller is by far the most overrated goaltender in the game. He has one good year to his name and outside of that has barely been an average goaltender.

His 40 games in Buffalo were tremendous. Yes, I get he **** the bed in St. Louis, but again people whine about letting a goalie like Luongo go, well here's a chance to get a similar goalie in return without the massive contract. Like I said I like Eddie Lack, and the kid has a bright future but if we're able to bring Miller in on a short term deal I'd do it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well, I disagree that he's better than what we have. For the cost, Lack can probably provide superior goaltending and has more upside than a 34 year old with one good season to his name.

Upside definitely, but Lack failed miserably as our starting goalie after Luongo was traded. Small sample size sure, but it still isn't a good sign.

In the short-term (ie. next season) I think Ryan Miller will be better than Eddie Lack. But if we make a mistake by signing Miller long-term, that's going to be one hell of an ugly contract going forward when he can't stop a beach ball.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
That would really be the icing on the cake. Get out from one declining goalie's contract and then a few months later turn around and sign a crappier declining goalie to a long term deal.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
His 40 games in Buffalo were tremendous. Yes, I get he **** the bed in St. Louis, but again people whine about letting a goalie like Luongo go, well here's a chance to get a similar goalie in return without the massive contract. Like I said I like Eddie Lack, and the kid has a bright future but if we're able to bring Miller in on a short term deal I'd do it.

Miller is inferior to Luongo, and how do you know he won't carry a massive contract? I don't think we get Ryan Miller to sign here for the terms that any of us would be happy at (maximum $5M AAV, maximum 3 year term).

IMO Ryan Miller here for 5+ years with a cap hit of $6M+ is worse than the Luongo contract that we paid to give away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad